Searching for an old novel about a stone that comes to life

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Hi. I hope this is the place to post this. I read a really creepy horror novel as a teen, which I would love to re-read, but I can't think of the name of it for the life of me. I have tried several different search terms to try and locate it, but I am coming up with nothing. I thought maybe someone here may have read it and will know the name of it...

The novel has to be at least 25 years old. I loosely remember the plot. It went something like this:

A woman traveled to another country, I think it might have been Ireland. She brought back some type of stone. Not sure if she stole it, or took it as a souvenir. It was supposed to protect her and bring her wealth, or something of that nature.

But the stone would come to life at night and turn into this horrid creature that would kill people in her life. I think she even threw it away, or drove it out into the countryside and tossed it, but it came back.

I remember by the end of the novel she was pretty terrified of the dark, had generators with back up generators and had to keep the entire house lit so the thing wouldn't get back in. I think by the end of reading it, I was pretty terrified of the dark too!

Does this novel sound familiar to anyone? I'd really love to re-read it.

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Okay, I think I found the book. I can only find a short description of it online, but I'm ordering it, because I'm pretty sure it's the one.

If anyone is interested, it was really good...at least from what I remember as a teen. It's called "The Keepsake," by Paul Huson.

Of all people, my mom remembered it. Always ask Mom first!