Splendid September - 500 words a day/editing - all genres welcome

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
So here we are in September already. I am still trying to figure out what happened to the first 8 months of the year.

How'd August go? Did you make your goals, or fall short?

What are your goals for this splendid month?

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, I didn't do anything besides release Fireborn and write 2 poems. Freelance work happened, too. I am hoping this month is more productive.

Goals:

~2nd round edits of secret project
~Try again to nail down idea/plot for antho story
~One freelance article

That's it.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
This whole summer seems to have been eaten by a grue.

August was not what I wanted, but at least it wasn't nothing. I did, in fact, accomplish a wee bit: I worked out some plot points, roughed out a synopsis, and put a new short story up on my web site.

But September? I need to get a wiggle on. I want to do NaNo, as usual, which means this book needs to be DONE, including proper synopsis and query letter, in the next two months. Whee!

So September is Finish The Draft, Dammit month. :)

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Salutations everyone,
The first part of August went well. Progress was made. I was away the last week of August so the end of the month I got nothing done and it's only today that I started getting back to doing anything productive. We'll see where September takes me.

Liz - well done on the word count, nice way to kick things off.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Made some progress on multiple fronts this weekend, hoping to keep the momentum going through the week ahead.
Best wishes to everyone!

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
:waves:

I'm having in there. I'm slammed with freelance work, which is great, but doesn't leave a lot of time to write. I have a 10k story for an antho due 10/1 and a short story also due 10/1 and I am starting to get worried that I won't have time to write them. But we'll see. The month is still young.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Hey guys!

I'm just back from a few weeks off. Following being awake for 30 hours with 12 hours sleep has left me a touch confuzzled, but hopefully tomorrow my body clock will be back to normal and I can start making progress.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Hope you had a good time OSG

Approaching the half way point of the month. Where does the time go? How's everyone doing??
The end is in site for finalizing my completed work. Been a few days since I've worked on the new piece but hopefully get back into it soon.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Wrote 946 words today and it was...kind of okay?

This section is going to need at least one more pass, but I feel a bit like I'm getting some traction. (And no, I'm not going to look over my past posts to see how many times I've said that in the last six months.)

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
*waves to Saoirse, Zan75, and liz* :hi:

Well, yesterday wasn't too bad. I got my edits done on a chapter that had been blocking me, and this morning I'm already through another chapter, so I'm feeling okay about things at the moment. Of course, that's just inviting a giant rock to fall on me, isn't it... :foilhat:

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
OSG - Awesome! :tells rocks not to fall on you:

Liz - :cheers progress:

Zan75 - Great that the end is in sight!

I'm doing okay. Busy with freelance work mostly. Stalled on antho story. Really need to take a break. :(

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Well, having wrestled a particularly stubborn chapter into submission, I am finally past the 30k mark with my edits. Just another 50-60k to go (depending on how much I end up adding).

I also started putting together thoughts for the next book. My MA course starts tomorrow and I'll need to write a manuscript for it; unless I completely change my mind, this sequel will be it. So I'm telling myself that counts as proper work and not goofing off. :)

Hope everyone else is making progress too!

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Awesome progress, OSG!

My father-in-law had a heart attack. Had a stent put in. Had issues with his heart beating out of rhythm and/or skipping beats. Needs a pacemaker.

He's okay and stable, and I'm so grateful he made it through this. Since I'm estranged from my bio dad, father-in-law has become my own dad and I can't even comprehend not having him around. Scary stuff. :(

Writing wise....nothing. I owe a short story on 10/1 and my antho story deadline has been pushed to 10/15. Bleh.

I landed two new clients in less than two weeks. Things are CRAZY.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Saoirse, I'm so glad your FIL is stable. Beaming good thoughts in your direction.

I've made progress, but as usual it feels circular. I'm half a scene from having the whole thing drafted, but as I read through it...it's so frustrating. Some of it feels so good, so solid. Other parts I don't quite have where I want them. And I feel like I have such a small window for this book, and I may've missed it already, but I want it right.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Sending good thoughts your way, Saoirse.

You can do it, Liz. Even having 0.01% good is enough to work with.

I had my "welcome day" at uni today, and I confess, I feel dreadful. I met some lovely people, but right around the end the fear really hit me. I'm trying to ignore it in the hope that when I allow myself to think about it later, it won't be so scary, but right now I am utterly terrified. Impostor syndrome is the worst.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
I started a new psych thriller this month, Ricochet. I'm about 20k in. It's my first working away from any publisher, so a little nervous with the whole self-pub venture, but breathing a deep sigh of relief with how I'm not with my publisher anymore. Always good to be back in psych-thriller zone, though. :)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Warmest thoughts to you, osg. :Hug2: You will get through this part. You're not an impostor. You are a talented writer who's made it into a competitive program because you are bloody good at what you do. Congratulations on getting through your first day! :partyguy: I hope you'll soon start enjoying yourself.

:hi: Fallen! That's terrific progress on the new book.

It's early in the day, but I'm staying the @#$%! off the internet today, and I've managed to finish the last redrafted chapter. Which means for the first time (deep breath) I have a beginning-to-end draft that includes the story the way I want it. It needs revision, especially this most recent bit, but I have a for-real finished draft.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Amazing, liz! And thank you for the good thoughts. :)

Welcome, Fallen! Still a few days to go in September, then we'll be onto our October thread.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Yesterday I started doing some pre-revision organizational stuff for the WIP.

And then I got an email from an SF journalist acquaintance of mine inviting me to sub a short story to one of the publications he writes for. Quick turnaround - couple of weeks. He gave me a theme and a word count. I said I'd give it a shot.

So today I didn't really get anything done, but I came up with a story idea. I need to ask him for a little clarification on Monday (not sure my idea really fits what they're looking for), but apart from that I think I may actually be able to write a thing. (Whether they'll use it or not I've no idea, but it's nice to be asked. :))

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
OSG - :kicks impostor syndrome in the butt: You're gonna do fine!

Fallen - Nice work! I love psych thrillers! I have one on my hard drive waiting to be rewritten. ;)

Liz - Awesome about the story and the draft! Whoohoo!

So I wrote 1,044 words on the short story due tomorrow. Nothing like pressure to get my butt in gear.

I feel completely unprepared for October, but it's coming whether I like it or not. Le sigh.

Father-in-law is still in the hospital. They're trying to get the medication right. Hopefully he'll be out by the 6th, which is his birthday. I think he's going to be okay, though.