Loaf pan question

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I have a bread recipe that calls for an 8 1/2x4 1/2 loaf pan, bake for 40-45 minutes.
The only loaf pan I have, however, is 9x3. Do/should I adjust the baking time and if so, how much?

Or, should I just free form it? It's a milk bread recipe from "Joy of Cooking" (90's ed.)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Your pan is only 2/3 as wide as the one the recipe calls for, so heat will bake the center of your dough faster. I'd adjust the baking time down to 30 to 35 minutes. If I know Joy, there's a test for doneness other than just the time. Follow that rather than the time. (My usual bread recipe involves both color and thumping on the loaf.)

And if it's not rude to say so, that's a really weird size pan you've got there. If you bake bread very often, or want to, it's worth getting a more standard size. If cost is a factor, thrift shops often have them.

RedRajah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
It is, yeah. It came with my husband. Never really gave it much thought before as it seemed to work fine for quick breads. But I wanted to make sure this time around as most of my earlier yeast attempts have been freeform.

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
This chart of how to convert a baking recipe from one pan size to another might be helpful, although the recommendation is to adjust the volume, rather than the time.

RedRajah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Well, long story short, I ended up freeforming it and have asked the hubby for a trip to the local restaurant supply shop for a new loaf pan -- and maybe a few other kitchen joys.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
New pans! I got new cookie sheets recently--mine are 45 or so and look their age--but I haven't used them yet. Next time I make caramel corn, though, it's going to be a whole lot easier.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I have a weakness for bakeware and have way too much. A few months ago I cleaned out my cupboards and donated some to a local charity who were collecting for a yard sale, which I attended today. I came back with an enamelled pie plate which I was drawn to because it looked like one I had - only to discover that it looked like my pie plate, because it was my pie plate. I had donated it - and then bought it back. :rolleyes

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a friend who does that with clothing at Goodwill several times a year.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Hee! I think it must be because we are drawn to the familiar, or we are just consistent in our taste. I guess I have to keep it now. :)

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Hee! I think it must be because we are drawn to the familiar, or we are just consistent in our taste. I guess I have to keep it now. :)
If you love something, set if free. If it comes back to you, well, ya gotta keep it.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
How about a tube pan volume question: I have 4 tiny tube pans each 4" diameter and 4" tall to make itty bitty angel food cakes. Do I do a straight volume difference calc? Only half full, as usual? How about cook time?

RedRajah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Finally got that new loaf pan, plus a new mandoline and new pot holders.