• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Stuck like Augustus Gloop in the Pipe...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JessQ

Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, seriously. The pressure's building up, and I know as soon as I get past this block I'll be able to keep going, with momentum and all that, but it's just...this.

(In a nutshell; MC's husband cheated on her with MC's best friend, leaving her with no one other than male MC, aka bestie's (now ex-) boyfriend. Drama ensues, naturally, as they get together.)

My mc has to tell her boyfriend's (male MC, just to be clear) parents that she's pregnant. This is revealed after they've just begun to like her and stopped comparing her to his ex-girlfriend. I want the reveal to be rough but quickly turn to acceptance...and there I am. Blocked up tighter than Taco Bell's plumbing.

I'm close to abandoning this ms, and I can't jump ahead, because I don't exactly know what's going to happen, or how far I'll jump ahead.

This sucks, and I hate it. I've never had writer's block this badly, and it's really starting to tick me off...or...I guess I'm ticking myself off. I need a coffee refill. *shudders*

~Jess

JessQ

Registered
Reaction score
It's the new boyfriend, and it's about to hit the fan. It's at the tip of my tongue...or fingers.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Talking with others is usually a solid way to get that pipe moving. :) Usually when I get this kind of stuck, though, I've done the set-up wrong. I'm trying to make the characters behave in ways that they wouldn't, either in the scene to come or the scene before. Maybe this isn't the right time to mention the pregnancy to the parents.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe try writing the scenes from other POV's? Or have you not written anything yet? Sometimes when I'm stuck with an argument (which I hate writing!) I do one paragraph from one POV and the next from another. That way they both are upfront with the argument with thoughts plus action.

JessQ

Registered
Reaction score
I spent the entire day brainstorming and plotting and writing...and head-desk'ing.

I'm stepping away from it, for now. In a few days, it'll come to me...I hope, or maybe I'll rewrite the entire scene and change some stuff up.

Thank you everyone for your input, it's been priceless!!!

CL_Hilbert

Registered
Reaction score
Website
clhilbert.wordpress.com
When I'm blocked over a scene like this, sometimes it's because I'm trying to make the characters do something they wouldn't do.

Would she really go announce her pregnancy to the BF's parents, or would she keep it to herself? Maybe she doesn't announce it to them. Maybe they overhear an argument with the BF or notice something pregnancy related in her behavior that spurs the conversation.

mselephant2015

Registered
Reaction score
I've had this problem with several dramatic scenes that I've been looking forward to writing, only to realise that I'm usually forcing the characters to act out of character and then, when I try and rectify it, the scene swerves off into a different direction and I'm like 'NO, you're supposed to be ARGUING,' conveniently forgetting that I have a placid character. I have only two options, both of which I've used;

1. Write it anyway. Write the whole scene out, even if you're feeling it's absolute rubbish as you do, because sometimes a glimmer of inspiration can come from one sentence. I've had scenes that are complete mud apart from speck of gold, on which I plan to use to rewrite the whole thing. It gives you something to work off, at least.

2. Re-evaluate what you want to happen. Does the MC NEED to tell the parent she's pregnant, or can the male MC do it? Would the result be the same, aka anger then acceptance? Is there another way you can work it so you still get your drama. OR is there a completely different alternative available? DON'T tell the parents. Secreeeeets! Or does that screw everything up further down the line?

Don't despair, you have options! :D

flarue

Dreaming of Waltzes & Fantasy Lands
Registered
Reaction score
Is the anger level of the parents equal? What I mean is, how do they each react to the pregnancy news? Is one silently fuming while the other blows their top, or do they both have similar reactions? What’s going through each parent’s mind on an individual level?

You say that you want them to come to acceptance quickly— is the acceptance happening in the same scene? Maybe one of the parents (or another character? Male MC’s sibling, for example) becomes a voice of reason. “Now, now, my dear. Maybe we shouldn’t fly off the handle. She is, after all, carrying our grandchild.” (Or something to that effect! Lol) Just a suggestion.

Good luck. I hope the scene comes to you soon, however you decide to play it out. Sounds exciting!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.