California assembly passes strictest net neutrality bill in the nation

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
The news is dominated by all things Trump these days, but other issues aren't going away.

This bill still needs the governor's signature, but if it passes it will reinstate Obama-era protections for Californians. Predictably, internet service providers were opposed, but the bill passed by an overwhelming vote of 58-17.

http://www.capradio.org/articles/2018/08/30/assembly-passes-net-neutrality-measure/

Service providers do need to be regulated, imo. In spite of their early assurances that they wouldn't take advantage of deregulation, they're already messing with service, and not just for ordinary, everyday people. Verizon recently throttled down Calfire's data when they were in the midst of fighting the larges wildfire in CA history. The return to the "light touch regulations of the early days of the internet" evidently has profound implications for public health and safety in a world where the internet is a needed utility with a profound impact on every aspect of daily life and no longer a luxury. Who would have thunk it?

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/22/6408...a-as-mendocino-wildfire-raged-fire-chief-says

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
There nothing wrong with America that can't be cured by what is right in California.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Good for California! Excellent news.

Here in Massachusetts, where we get a lot right, the net neutrality bill failed. Some lawmakers said they voted against it because they thought it wouldn't withstand a legal challenge. I made my voice heard on that particular excuse. Hopefully, California leading the way will make it easier for us to get our legislators to vote for a similar bill.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Here in Massachusetts, where we get a lot right, the net neutrality bill failed. Some lawmakers said they voted against it because they thought it wouldn't withstand a legal challenge.

Seriously, how does CA's legislation trump (pun intended) the FCC ruling?

caw

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I sent a message to Brown today, indicating that I really hoped he'd sign it. CA residents should do the same, and residents of other states should contact their legislators and governors requesting bills to restore Obama-era protections at the state level.

I think Brown will probably sign it, but it's hard to know for sure what he will do. I don't always see eye to eye with him, Democrat or no. He hasn't always been a reliable friend to public higher education (or educators) in the state, though he's loads better than the other party.

I'm waiting for an executive order from you know who that attempts to nullify these laws. The party that once believed in states' rights (and used to claim that human rights, gun control, and environmental protections etc. should be left up to individual states) has been pretty heavy handed lately.

Last edited: