Should my two POV's each have their own climax?

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
I am horrible at climaxes. They seem to go on for so long in movies/books and mine are like a chapter *poof* done. Bad guy defeated, game over. How long are climaxes supposed to be? Could I get away from a short (two chapter) climax?

I have two POV's and am wonder if they should both get their own climaxes as well. It started out with the FMC trapping the antagoinst to another world, and am wondering if the MMC should get involved.

Sorry for the edit. It sounds so amateurish. I'm just not feeling all here today.

Last edited:

AKWW93

Registered
Reaction score
Could they each have their own task and work together to accomplish it? I need some more information. What's his character arc been? Hers? The antagonists? Does it make narrative sense to split the resolution up?

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
The climax takes place in a daredevil theater (imagine a circus).
I was planning on him getting the magic potion that will trap the villain in another world, but the person he's getting it from is trapped, but while he's rescuing her, something happens that makes him have to reveal his darkest secret. His portion of the story was getting over that fear, so it fits.

When he get's the potion, I was planning on switching over to the FMC's POV and letting her use the potion to defeat the antagonist. She was tracking down the antagonist backstage where he finds her with the potion. She gets the potion and sends the antagonist back home (after a fight and losing her dignity).

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with your approach to climaxes. Of course, it depends on execution. But if you build things up properly, you could theoretically have a climax in one sentence. Not to mention that chapters differ wildly in length.

If the FMC and the MMC are fighting the same fight, against the same antagonist, then having a climax from each POV might not make much sense. But if their stories conclude in different ways, I can imagine that a climax for each would be appropriate.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I think your story would feel more natural if there are two climaxes, one for each character, but that's not to say the climaxes have to be equivalent. By that, I mean just because one character's climax is killing off the story's Big Bad, doesn't mean you need to toss another Big Bad at the other character to deal with. My novels tend to have multiple viewpoints, most often simply two main characters, with alternating chapters jumping back and forth between their POVs. Structurally, that creates a specific rhythm for the reader where if one character is experiencing that rising tension that leads to a climax, it would feel weird if the other character didn't.

So I usually build up different situations for each character to deal with, unless, of course, they are both participating in the same even at the same time, in which case, one climax "covers" both of them. But I expect that if you have the skill to pull it off, and have a really, really good idea, even only one character having a "true" climax can work if the other character's non-climax provides an interesting enough contrast.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
.... Ideally tied together.
This^

Why you have two POVs should answer your question. Is one in a supporting role, or are you telling one story from different POVs?

And climaxes don't have to be a big fight with the bad guy. They can be a point where your MC comes to a big revelation or change in their life.

Last edited:

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
I have two POV's because they both have the same curse of having a monster following them around. At the end, my FMC needs to coax hers back into the monster's world, while my MMC (who's friends with his monster) must learn to accept that he is different and that he should show people what is wrong with him. With this new setup they both accomplish what they needed to do, not what they set out to do.

My MMC probably has a fourth of the story to himself while the FMC dominates the other 3/4.

If the FMC and the MMC are fighting the same fight, against the same antagonist, then having a climax from each POV might not make much sense. But if their stories conclude in different ways, I can imagine that a climax for each would be appropriate.

They are fighting the same antagonist, except for they both have different internal battles that are at stake here.

I think your story would feel more natural if there are two climaxes, one for each character, but that's not to say the climaxes have to be equivalent. By that, I mean just because one character's climax is killing off the story's Big Bad, doesn't mean you need to toss another Big Bad at the other character to deal with. My novels tend to have multiple viewpoints, most often simply two main characters, with alternating chapters jumping back and forth between their POVs. Structurally, that creates a specific rhythm for the reader where if one character is experiencing that rising tension that leads to a climax, it would feel weird if the other character didn't.

So I usually build up different situations for each character to deal with, unless, of course, they are both participating in the same even at the same time, in which case, one climax "covers" both of them. But I expect that if you have the skill to pull it off, and have a really, really good idea, even only one character having a "true" climax can work if the other character's non-climax provides an interesting enough contrast.

They both have their role in defeating the antagonist, mainly the FMC because this is her fight and personal to her. I made the MMC come along because why would he let her go in and face a monster alone? But now I have to let him have his part. It ties his whole existence together. (okay, maybe not that deep)

This^

Why you have two POVs should answer your question. Is one in a supporting role, or are you telling one story from different POVs?

And climaxes don't have to be a big fight with the bad guy. They can be a point where your MC comes to a big revelation or change in their life.

I know climaxes don't have to be a big fight, but the story just turned out this way. :Shrug: My MMC's climax is more or less a change in their life. And technically it's my FMC's story, but my MMC tells the parts that wouldn't make sense without him.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
It really depends on whether or not one is clearly the protagonist and one is more of a static support character or whether both have unique arcs that involve goals, obstacles and transformation. Also, are their two arcs very closely intertwined/convergent, or are they more divergent or parallel to one another?

In romances, the FMC and MMC are very often co-protagonists with converging arcs. But they can still have separate resolutions for issues they have, as long as they are resolved via the relationship working out in the end.

Other genres can have co-protagonists too, but even a secondary viewpoint character can have their own arc with their own issues and goals.

Last edited:

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
No, they both change during the book. Surprisingly, the MMC more so. They don't really learn/know about sending the antagonist home until close to the ending of the second act. But they are working for the same thing...sort of.

It's not a romance. My FMC isn't interested in dating yet, and my MMC already has some other girl.

The FMC is the main protagonist, but my MMC is also a very important role.

Last edited:

nickj47

Registered
Reaction score
IMO it really depends, and without reading the whole story it's hard to know. I tend to think that for the greatest impact the climax should be from the POV of the character most affected or surprised. Usually that's the MC, but not always.

Jennie

Registered
Reaction score
They should probably each have an ending.

I agree with Anna. It really depends on your plot, the way you want to end it. If your two characters are both involved with the same villain and their way of coping is different, then each should have his own climax. It doesn't need to happen at the same time. There might be parallels or correspondences that you want to draw between these coping methods, and have them resonate.

Good luck!