Non-main-plot-focused/"filler" chapters in an adventure-fantasy web-serial?

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
One of my current projects is an adventure-fantasy that I feel would be best suited for a web-serial format. It focuses on a healer and her companions as they travel to discover whatever purpose the healer may have for her gift. There isn't some looming threat or daunting antagonist hovering over the plot from the onset of the story. While their travels involve seeking out whatever the main character's destiny may be, several of the stories involve the main characters becoming involved in situations that aren't directly related to the major plotlines. They might go to explore some interesting sight, help people with a problem, or deal with some sort of danger. Some of these stories do include details that contribute to the major plotlines, but the main idea of them is that they involve the characters helping others along their way, revealing more about the companions and developing the main character's growing love of adventure and discovery.

The problem I'm having is...well, the thread title probably says it all. I'm worried that these chapters may come off as filler, that maybe the overall story would be better off without many of them. I'm worried that I may not be giving the main plot enough focus for the reader to care about it, and that while there are several strings along the way that lead up to reveals, I fear that readers might lose patience before those details come together. I just don't know if readers would really even care about the main characters finding out why there's no fish in a river, even if they end up witnessing a surprising sight, or if someone's stealing from an inn they stay at, even if the thief might be using magic to break in.

So I'm looking for advice and feedback. How much stuff that doesn't pertain to the main plotlines but (hopefully) develops and shows more about the characters and the world would you be fine with? How present do the main plotlines need to be to maintain your interest? If you have examples of novels/web stories where the author does a good job with travelling protagonists encountering situations that don't pertain to their main goals, those would be helpful as well. (Especially if they are a web-serial format and/or their travels aren't initially or primarily focused on saving the world in some form.)

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
If I were you, which I'm not, I would maybe make the sub-plots stuff come to them. Instead of helping others, somebody forces them to do something. Instead of seeing a sight, their food supplies get stolen to force them to that sight. As long as it's not. "Hey look, there's the Mystic Waterfalls, let's check it out.Your gift can wait a few more minutes, " I'm sure some things will be easier to rearrange to make it an obstacle rather than a subplot.

Even if the characters do get sidetracked, make them worry about the purpose of the gift, or learn something new about the gift. With your mainplot being about discovery, I think you could get away with a lot more because nobody has to worry about a Dark Lord taking over the world while they're sidetracked. Still, I'd like to see points of the mainplot showing up through these subplots. Make everything worthwhile to the plot (although I'm betting that's exactly what you didn't want to hear). The fish example needs to have something about her gift. Like saving people who are sick from it? Don't just show off your world.

Last edited:

themindstream

Registered
Reaction score
Probably the best thing I can say is "it works for episodic TV".

Deep Space 9 is the most similar example that comes to mind right now. Sometimes the episodes will be hit or miss, sometimes the side episodes will be some of the biggest milestones of the series.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, that too. It reminds me of Avatar: the Last Airbender where the MC would go off to help a village or something. Sometimes it worked, sometimes I wondered if I can just skip the episode.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com

Deep Space 9 is the most similar example that comes to mind right now. Sometimes the episodes will be hit or miss, sometimes the side episodes will be some of the biggest milestones of the series.

+1

My first thought was this: it sounds very much like an episodic show, with "mytharc" eps and other eps. If you're worried, use the non-mytharc adventures to build character, maybe foreshadow future events (or reflect on previous events in a new light), or plant hooks whose significance only shows up later.

Just be sure to keep continuity between them; sometimes the "other" eps created annoying inconsistencies - such as a character having a family member they never mentioned before or since, or revealing some major phobia which suddenly no longer existed when things got back to the main arc. (In TV, this is probably the result of multiple writers working on a franchise simultaneously, and not always consulting each other. If you're the only writer, though, you have fewer excuses.)

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Sometimes chapters as you describe add background / depth to a character, or fill in plot holes.

cstoned

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about it if your world is interesting enough to justify filler. Maybe I'm alone in this, but I don't have any issue with little vignettes or episodes that don't contribute much to plot so long as they contribute to world-building. I always wished Harry Potter would have a few more chapters that just covered an average day of class, without any Death Eaters or meaningful scribbles in the textbook margins to muck it all up :tongue

RhysBC

Registered
Reaction score
My first thought when reading this was to have the sun plots interwoven in some way. An example of this would be Pulp Fiction.
There are several separate stories that have a link to each other in some way. Each on their own stand out but there is a wonderful feeling of connection by the end.

AwP_writer

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about it if your world is interesting enough to justify filler. Maybe I'm alone in this, but I don't have any issue with little vignettes or episodes that don't contribute much to plot so long as they contribute to world-building. I always wished Harry Potter would have a few more chapters that just covered an average day of class, without any Death Eaters or meaningful scribbles in the textbook margins to muck it all up :tongue

Ditto, I was going to say much the same. I think it's a matter of taste for the readers, some will like side stories and some won't. It's impossible to please both, so please yourself. I'm a little biased though, since I'm planning on quite a few side stories and vignette pieces in my series.

Vida Paradox

Code Surfer
Registered
Reaction score
Hi! Vida here!

As someone who's half of xir life's been plagued by filler episodes, I might probably be able to give you some advice.

Now, even though your web series doesn't really have correlation with one another, one thing that makes it interesting is quite possibly a recurring theme. A recurring enemy that you can treat as amusement (Team Rocket) or serious threat (Daleks). Another way to make filler stories important is by creating an impact on the main character or cast. Make it so that this MC learned about something during xir travel.

Another thing I like is by creating temporary side character. Say... In chapter 5 MC met some guy, then the guy came along with xir until chapter 8 where he got himself killed or leave or something. Then in chapter 18 you introduce the guy again as a friend, foe, whatever.

So, what I'm trying to say is, even though they're mostly different adventures, try to make each one has an impact on the Main Character. Try and make some aspects of these adventures create consequences for the adventure to come. Don't make it just a simple: 'Arrive here, Save everyone, repeat' That'll get old quick and you don't want that. You need character growth, universe development, and many, many more awesomeness to be had in your story.

I think, that's all I can think of, I'm not an expert so take my advice with a grain of salt.

And as Always, Thanks for Reading!!!

PS: Doctor Who, definitely Doctor Who.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. It's given me a lot to reflect upon. (The story is called Reflection, which I didn't note in the OP, so that's a pun I'm making purely for myself. *sigh-smiles...smighles*)

I'm probably worrying too much about it from a combination of my usual lack of self-confidence and this project being one that I'm really passionate about and hence concerned about messing up. I have taken a good look at what I have, both written and planned, and most of it does include details, whether worldbuilding or character moments, that do become important in the long run. I've also thought of the character development as being as important a part of the story as the main plot, but feared that too little focus on a main plot, especially when there's no overarching crisis or Big Bad to confront, could turn off readers.

So I've taken a few steps to make sure I'm on the right track. I've realized that I need to focus on the fact that this is fantasy, and hence these side-stories should give fantastic sights and revelations from the world. I've cut one chapter that didn't add much (conveniently, I can use the storyline elsewhere). And I've made myself a little table in Scrivener where I can not only summarize the chapters, but the things in them that become significant later on, so I can be certain it's not "filler". I've even started loosely planning out the later parts of the overall story, so I know how much room for side-stories I have and what major events I can/need to build up to in these side-stories.

It's given me the confidence to get back to actually working on it, so thanks a lot, everyone!

That's a good point. I didn't think about such because I don't really watch TV, and nothing I watch has an actual plot. :greenie

I always wished Harry Potter would have a few more chapters that just covered an average day of class, without any Death Eaters or meaningful scribbles in the textbook margins to muck it all up :tongue

Another good point. The stuff they learned in classes would end up being useful later on, or the events during class would end up having greater significance.

A recurring enemy that you can treat as amusement (Team Rocket) or serious threat (Daleks).

Hmm, I do in fact have a H.I.V.E. Five Team Rocket of sorts. They have a certain significance in the story, but you've given me the idea to have them show up later on...

Last edited:

nickj47

Registered
Reaction score
All readers are different. I have little tolerance for filler. Side stories are okay if they're enjoyable on their own, and they don't interrupt the plot or the pacing in any way. I hesitate to compare books with visual media, where you always have something to look at and you don't have things like setting descriptions and character thoughts.