Question about Distributors

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A recent communique from my publisher stated that, due to "issues" with Ingram, they would be removing their authors' books from that distributor and "getting them into more outlets" than Ingram.

I'm puzzled. How can my publisher accomplish this? Isn't Ingram the big wheel insofar as book distribution goes, at least in the U.S.? What other way is there to get books into "more outlets?"

I'd appreciate any insight into this situation. Thanks in advance.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
That sounds ... odd.

Ingram and Baker & Taylor are the two big distributors in the US. I know there are some smaller regional distributors, but again "small" and "regional".

Unless they're counting on Amazon for all their sales, I really don't have an explanation for that announcement.

Weird.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'd assume that they've had a distribution contract with Ingram, and are now changing distributors. It happens.

The comment that they're "getting them into more outlets" is disconcerting, though. Ingram isn't an "outlet". Ingram gets books into outlets.

I'd want to know if they had a full-service sales and distribution contract with Ingram and if so, who they're going to work with instead of Ingram. If they're planning on handling their own sales now, I'd be concerned. It's a hard road to take.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to both of you, Richard White and Old Hack. My guess is that, despite referring to Ingram as their distributor, Ingram's role with them is that of a wholesaler. If they're actually going to work with a distributor who will get the company's books into brick-and-mortar stores, that would be great. However, I'm trying to sort out why this would be necessary, as the publisher recently announced that they're going digital-only, with paperback runs available only after books hit a certain sales threshold.

Last edited:

C Alberts

Registered
Reaction score
If they are removing their books from Ingram's wholesale system, that is a problem even if they are getting full service distribution elsewhere. If I can't get a book from Ingram and it isn't available through a distributor we work with and order from regularly, then we can't even do a special order for a customer and are unlikely to carry it in our store even if we want to. Some shops work with both Ingram and Baker & Taylor, but some (like mine) only work with one or the other.

If they are ending a relationship with IPS (Ingram Publisher Services - Ingram's full-service distribution arm) that's another thing, as long as they are still on Ingram for wholesale. Frankly IPS is a mixed bag - they have added a lot of publishers to their roster that I have issues with in terms of quality, including some 'hybrid' presses. But they also represent some awesome publishers like Europa and Grove Atlantic.

I wonder if they are cutting ties with Ingram wholesale because they are selling so few books to stores that it isn't worth all the set up costs and the chunk out of their profit margins required to offer things at standard terms?

I, too, am confused about what "more outlets" could mean. If I were you, I would want to know specifically what they are talking about.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've asked. Waiting for an answer, but it's the holiday weekend.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
I've asked. Waiting for an answer, but it's the holiday weekend.

That's good. I was going to suggest you ask them. We have no way of answering this question accurately. Never be afraid to ask your publisher anything. :)

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Jeff.