How would you describe this hairstyle?

coffeehunter

Registered
Reaction score
How would you describe this hairstyle? It fits one of my characters, but I'm not sure how to describe it. I'm humorously categorizing this as hair research for lack of a better category.

A sentence is not required. Descriptors would be perfect. Last, the visual description is necessary for reasons out of this scope.

My attempt:
He had an overgrown, unruly bob cut tousled about like bed hair.

I'm not sure if the reader is visualizing this well enough as the pic below.

Link:
http://journal-audible.org/wp-conte...dler-boy-haircut-of-bob-cut-hair-for-kids.jpg

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't. Readers rarely need to envision the character as I do. "Short and messy" will cover it.

Psst--This image is way over the size limit for AW. You'd do well to remove it, shrink it, and put the smaller one in its place. Total area should not exceed 160,000 pixels. See the FAQ.

Maryn, trying to keep you in good with the mods

coffeehunter

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't. Readers rarely need to envision the character as I do. "Short and messy" will cover it.

Psst--This image is way over the size limit for AW. You'd do well to remove it, shrink it, and put the smaller one in its place. Total area should not exceed 160,000 pixels. See the FAQ.

Maryn, trying to keep you in good with the mods

Thanks, the link has access to the image.

I agree about just saying "short and messy," although covering the ears is still important. I don't think the picture has short hair, as it's longer in the back and sides. But I agree something simple is all that's needed.

Last edited:

anaemic_mind

I come with accessories now
Registered
Reaction score
I think of a bob as more all one length than that. Maybe a 'choppy bob' might be a better description? But I'd describe that picture more as short layers or an 'in between' style, like someone is growing out a shorter crop

coffeehunter

Registered
Reaction score
I think of a bob as more all one length than that. Maybe a 'choppy bob' might be a better description? But I'd describe that picture more as short layers or an 'in between' style, like someone is growing out a shorter crop

Interesting description there! I enjoy describing hair for writing practice, and am nowhere perfect, but this was definitely a strange one.

So perhaps something like this?

The length of his tousled/messy choppy bob hid what had to be blushing ears.

Last edited:

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I think of a bob as a woman's haircut. Not a boy's. I grant the pic is labeled a "bob cut", and it's likely that people who are up on hair stylist jargon know all about that, but for me the word conjures up a completely different image than what you mean -- more Little Lord Fauntleroy than your pic.

I agree with Maryn -- since you're never going to be able to describe what you have in mind in a way that every reader is going to envision the exact thing you intend, don't even try to get detailed and specific. That leads only to tears. A short, simple and impressionistic description is all you need.

coffeehunter

Registered
Reaction score
For the book, I agree. As long as the two descriptors describe messy and overlapping the ears, it should be enough. A messy/shaggy mop of hair is all I can think that might suggest over the ears easily.

Last edited:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
That's not a bob. It' just looks like a shaggy cut to me. It's also not covering his ears? Are we looking at the same pic?

coffeehunter

Registered
Reaction score
That's not a bob. It' just looks like a shaggy cut to me. It's also not covering his ears? Are we looking at the same pic?

Same pic! Though the descriptor of the url and site said bob, which was probably misleading or what benbenberi suggested as hair stylist jargon.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Same pic! Though the descriptor of the url and site said bob, which was probably misleading or what benbenberi suggested as hair stylist jargon.

I'd think hairstylists would know what a bob was, heh.

HR Garcia

Registered
Reaction score
Depends on the genre ;)

Horror: His hair was cut in sharp, uneven lines that hung over his face, obscuring one eye.
Rom-Com: His son's hair, like his, was soft, tousled, and unevenly cut. Clearly they were both in need of a woman's touch. (bleh, like a man isn't capable of good hair but whatever you get the idea)
Mystery: His hair was blond, unlike his dad's but very much like the handsome neighbor's. Tousled and unkempt as if he had just come back from the beach. But why was he at the beach when he was supposed to be at school?
Yoda: Long, it was. A haircut, he needed.

coffeehunter

Registered
Reaction score
Depends on the genre ;)

Horror: His hair was cut in sharp, uneven lines that hung over his face, obscuring one eye.
Rom-Com: His son's hair, like his, was soft, tousled, and unevenly cut. Clearly they were both in need of a woman's touch. (bleh, like a man isn't capable of good hair but whatever you get the idea)
Mystery: His hair was blond, unlike his dad's but very much like the handsome neighbor's. Tousled and unkempt as if he had just come back from the beach. But why was he at the beach when he was supposed to be at school?
Yoda: Long, it was. A haircut, he needed.

Very good, that is.

coffeehunter

Registered
Reaction score
Simple attempt #1:

The boy’s shaggy blond hair poorly hid what resembled John's face.

Anyway, a lot of great descriptors here. I'll play around with them.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I'd go with your first attempt (Post 1) without the word 'bob', which does sound like something more even and organized.
How about 'A messy mop of shaggy blond hair'?

coffeehunter

Registered
Reaction score
I'd go with your first attempt (Post 1) without the word 'bob', which does sound like something more even and organized.
How about 'A messy mop of shaggy blond hair'?

I like it! Thanks for the suggestion.

Summonere

Registered
Reaction score
Hair like a pile of straw. Wind blown and swooped to one side.