Archaic Words

Nightd

Registered
Reaction score
I just had a wonderful beta reader give me feedback on my starting chapter. Thank you <3

She pointed out something that was always in the back of my head.

To my amazement,
To my amaze,

I picked to use "To my amaze". I've considered multiple times to change it to "To my amazement", because people might not realise "amaze" archaically is a noun. In the end, I picked to use "to my amaze," because it just sounded better to my ear in that instance. However, I'm reconsidering again. The first chapter is the most important chapter of the book, right, to hook an agent? I'm not a published writer yet, so maybe it's better to pick the safe usage. I assume as a published author, I might have more say and get away with small things like this right?

Or am I completely wrong in the usage, and should just stick to "amazement"

Last edited:

HR Garcia

Registered
Reaction score
I would go with "amazement", just because it's the most generally known. Unless you're going for a weird/literary/etc vibe (which I love personally), and use other similar words in your prose.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
I have personally never heard of "amaze" as a noun, and I'm a historical fiction writer. But of course, maybe I just haven't heard of that one!

First and foremost, you don't want to confuse your reader.s If even a person like myself who's familiar with archaic usages isn't aware of this one, then your readers are pretty likely to just think it's a typo. You need to know exactly who your audience is (hist fic people? fantasy readers? general audiences?) and how much archaic language they are willing to grapple with. Second, there is a certain rhythm to archaic language. If you get the right rhythm and your readers get used to it, then you can work in more archaic usages and it will feel natural. For instance, most people find Shakespeare difficult to digest, but I think that the more you read of it, the more you get into the rhythm and the more it makes sense. Third, you clearly are using this to help build a world where people use archaic language. You want it to be a little different from the world your readers are used to.

The key is balance. You want to create an interesting and believable world, but one that is accessible to your audience. It's a balancing act, and getting more eyes on it (the eyes of people in your target audience especially) is really the only way to know whether you're hitting the mark.

Nightd

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks HR Garcia and angeliz2k

I've chosen to switch to amazement, as you're right it's more generally known.

abdall

trash mammal
Registered
Reaction score
to my amaze sounds kind of like a doge meme to me, if I'm being brutally honest. It's not wrong, by any means, but much wow. I always liked 'astonishment' better than 'amazement' so that might be a thing. That's just my personal preference, though. I say go with your gut.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I assume as a published author, I might have more say and get away with small things like this right?

Or am I completely wrong in the usage, and should just stick to "amazement"

You're certainly within your rights to use "amaze." But unless you have a really good reason to use it, and your character is prone to using archaic words and expressions, it's going to be a stumbling block and a distraction, which you don't want anywhere in your story but especially not in the first chapter.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Amaze has been used as a noun in the past, but it's not only archaic, it's a dialect use, so yeah, unless you're writing a historic speaker of that particular North Midlands dialect, use amazement.