Rejection and NEW STUFF (Accountabilibuddies)

ChibiUsagi

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice guys!

I am in the early stages of Book 2 and the outline stage of Book 3.

I think I'm just waiting for validation. It's quite pathetic but it's true. I want to know I'm going somewhere before I write two more books...I'm weak. :cry: :flag:

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
So after finding quite a few hours this week to plan my new MS (which I have, in as much detail as I need now) I've decided not to run with it for now. It's a sound plan and a good idea with a very now hook but I can't get away from the niggling feeling that some other writer could make a better job of it than I could. I also don't think it sits brilliantly with the MS that's out right now and it won't play to my strengths. I feel kinda... meh?

Should I try writing 10k of it or so or listen to the niggling voice that suggests developing another idea might be more sensible?

ShouldBeWriting

Registered
Reaction score
So after finding quite a few hours this week to plan my new MS (which I have, in as much detail as I need now) I've decided not to run with it for now. It's a sound plan and a good idea with a very now hook but I can't get away from the niggling feeling that some other writer could make a better job of it than I could. I also don't think it sits brilliantly with the MS that's out right now and it won't play to my strengths. I feel kinda... meh?

Should I try writing 10k of it or so or listen to the niggling voice that suggests developing another idea might be more sensible?

I got 18k words into a book I thought I should write. It was a solid idea, thoroughly plotted...and then I had an idea that made me toss all those words out without a backwards glance. Not saying the new idea was a better one (although it’s the one that just got me my agent) but I do know it was better for ME. And the book I’m writing now is so much fun I don’t even care if it’s crap. (Guess I’ll find out if it is during editing.) So my vote is follow your passion. Unless there’s no competing idea, in which case, eh, just a few thousand words couldn’t hurt, right? Especially if there’s even the tiniest chance you’re wrong and you’ll rock the idea you’re now second-guessing.

ShouldBeWriting

Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of being excited by my new WIP, my word count is a little hard to track because I’ve pretty much got parts on my phone, on paper, in scrivener, etc... It’s only discipline that’s keeping me from bringing a pen in the bathroom to scribble notes on toilet paper. When I pretty it all up this weekend, I’ll log one (hopefully HUGE) number on the spreadsheet. (By the way, I only average about 450 words an hour, so anything above a few thousand is huge for me.) Until then, I’m just putting yes on the spreadsheet on the days I write.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
I got 18k words into a book I thought I should write. It was a solid idea, thoroughly plotted...and then I had an idea that made me toss all those words out without a backwards glance. Not saying the new idea was a better one (although it’s the one that just got me my agent) but I do know it was better for ME. And the book I’m writing now is so much fun I don’t even care if it’s crap. (Guess I’ll find out if it is during editing.) So my vote is follow your passion. Unless there’s no competing idea, in which case, eh, just a few thousand words couldn’t hurt, right? Especially if there’s even the tiniest chance you’re wrong and you’ll rock the idea you’re now second-guessing.

Unfortunately, I have no competing idea. Ideas fill me with dread - I really struggle to come up with them. I think there's a lot to be said for "better for ME" ideas (I liked how you put that). And I keep coming back to this: the YA marketplace is so competitive. I can think of a handful of authors who could do my new idea better, I suspect, than I can. So why am I trying to write it? I think I know what my strengths are by now... and that new idea, unless I manage to think of a way to take it from another angle, doesn't play to them.

(Also, I know from past experience that future novel ideas are important - when my book 1 got signed by the publisher they wanted to know what I would work on for book 2, and wanted that to be for the same audience as for book 1. So having a hooky idea you can wheel out, preferably part-written, and one that sits well with your current one, is advisable).

...I'm kind of talking myself into trying for a new idea here, aren't I?

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of being excited by my new WIP, my word count is a little hard to track because I’ve pretty much got parts on my phone, on paper, in scrivener, etc... It’s only discipline that’s keeping me from bringing a pen in the bathroom to scribble notes on toilet paper. When I pretty it all up this weekend, I’ll log one (hopefully HUGE) number on the spreadsheet. (By the way, I only average about 450 words an hour, so anything above a few thousand is huge for me.) Until then, I’m just putting yes on the spreadsheet on the days I write.

Wow. That's incredible - I admire you keeping track of all that! How amazing to have that drive to write. Go for it this weekend!

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing a terrible job of keeping up with the spreadsheet. I haven't done any more "real" writing this week, but I've been scribbling a lot of notes in my notebook ... plot points, twists, snippets of scenes or dialogue. So the story is actively bubbling in my head, I just haven't had any good writing time this week. Bleah.

I also was probably 8-10K into a concept that my agent had approved as being a marketable idea, I had a decent synopsis, but it just wasn't sparking. Like it felt flat... and then I started cheating on that idea with the book that I just sold. The newer idea was more fun, made me laugh, and I finally told my agent, whoops, I'm writing this one instead. And it all worked out okay.

ShouldBeWriting

Registered
Reaction score
Jeneral, idea bubbling is just as important as putting down the words, so yay!

Raggycat, good luck on your idea bubbling, too. It’s so exciting when a good one comes. :)

This productive week is making for the last one, which was terrible. Happy weekend writing (or idea bubbling) everyone!

ChibiUsagi

Banned
Reaction score
I'm doing a terrible job of keeping up with the spreadsheet. I haven't done any more "real" writing this week, but I've been scribbling a lot of notes in my notebook ... plot points, twists, snippets of scenes or dialogue. So the story is actively bubbling in my head, I just haven't had any good writing time this week. Bleah.

I also was probably 8-10K into a concept that my agent had approved as being a marketable idea, I had a decent synopsis, but it just wasn't sparking. Like it felt flat... and then I started cheating on that idea with the book that I just sold. The newer idea was more fun, made me laugh, and I finally told my agent, whoops, I'm writing this one instead. And it all worked out okay.

I've been living a hole for a while but you sold your most recent book that was on sub?

:snoopy: That's great!

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
I did, thanks Chibi! It was a very very quick sub process, which was incredible after the long drawn-out slog of the first one.

More bubbling over here and more note-scribbling. I'm hoping to have a few good hours of writing time over the weekend. Fingers crossed.

Isobel

Registered
Reaction score
I'm ready too! After two weeks of distraction (not complaining!) and finishing revising MS2 after a billion feedback from betas and agent, I'm ready to let both finished projects sit and start something new. I think, with some encouragement from my agent, I'm going to try an MG. At first I thought this was something I could never do but after reading a few really great upper MG books, I think that sweet, first crush, figuring things out space might be really fun. Plotting today...

polishmuse

I'm a cookie
Registered
Reaction score
I'm ready to jump on board, guys. Should I update the page for this week, or leave it to you, Polish, or someone else?

Anyone can feel free to update :) It feels like my house is burning down lately. Two little muses on antibx for different illnesses, so little sleep, family in town, and day job nuttiness. I won't probably get words in this week, but I will be cheering from the sidelines and planning to show up in Oct to work!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm ready to jump on board, guys. Should I update the page for this week, or leave it to you, Polish, or someone else?

Anyone can feel free to update :) It feels like my house is burning down lately. Two little muses on antibx for different illnesses, so little sleep, family in town, and day job nuttiness. I won't probably get words in this week, but I will be cheering from the sidelines and planning to show up in Oct to work!

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
I'm ready too! After two weeks of distraction (not complaining!) and finishing revising MS2 after a billion feedback from betas and agent, I'm ready to let both finished projects sit and start something new. I think, with some encouragement from my agent, I'm going to try an MG. At first I thought this was something I could never do but after reading a few really great upper MG books, I think that sweet, first crush, figuring things out space might be really fun. Plotting today...

Out of interest, Isobel, did your agent suggest MG as YA is a tough sell atm and the MG market is booming? Just interested for any insight I can get on this.

Polish, so sorry the little muses are unwell! While I welcome colder weather I also will be dreading it because I know it beckons a succession of illnesses, and with two RaggyKittens I bet they won't sync their illnesses, either.

So I had an interesting time plotting at the weekend with my mum, who is the best person I have in my life for brainstorming ideas with. We spent an hour thinking up and rejecting ideas, then I told her about the idea that was making me nervous last week and I wasn't sure if I should write or not, and it was clear that that idea was head and shoulders above anything else we could come up with. So I think I've managed to refocus it somewhat, so the things that were sitting badly with me are a little different. Hopefully, this will lead to an idea that's worth embarking on!

ChibiUsagi

Banned
Reaction score
I have no idea how you all find the time to write with children around.

I have one cat and I use him as an excuse plenty :roll:

Isobel

Registered
Reaction score
Out of interest, Isobel, did your agent suggest MG as YA is a tough sell atm and the MG market is booming? Just interested for any insight I can get on this.

She didn't come out and say this, but I'm sure it was in the background. It was more a response to a particular idea -- saying it sounded more MG. But now, I think this move makes sense because the option on the the book I sold is for my next YA -- and that is already written (advantage of a long sub process!) so it makes sense, to me, to work on something unencumbered.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
I've two cats and they do their fair share of walking across the keyboard/sitting on laptop/closing tabs on the screen etc. :tongue

That makes total sense, Isobel - if the publishers don't jump on your next YA you've a different market to look into. That puts you in a stronger position, especially as MG is doing so well now. I know many YA authors who've either gone MG or gone Adult.

ShouldBeWriting

Registered
Reaction score
This week has been a frenzy of edits on MS1, writing WIP, critiquing for others and the day job. I think I remembered to eat? Taking the weekend off then back to tracking next week.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you've had a bad week, Polish - I hope the cake makes up for it a little! ShouldBeWriting, best of luck on sub, I have my fingers crossed for you!

Every time I think I'm going to get some time to work on the new book idea I keep getting dragged back to my old one for some edits. Not complaining, as this time an agent has asked for them, but the new idea feels like the idea that's been waiting for ages - always the bridesmaid, never the bride! :p

polishmuse

I'm a cookie
Registered
Reaction score
WOO, got the spreadsheet updated and ready for the first week of Oct, so enter your words everybody! Come join if you're new! I got 903 in a writing sesh this AM and might hit the page again later. Better to be writing than getting lost in the pit of news we call 2018.

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Polish! Great to see some words from you! Monday is always a productive day for me. I drag as the long, long, LONG week goes on.... But I'm hoping to crack the 30,000 mark by the end of the week. That's always a big moment. The story is either generally working, or I have to toss most of it and start again. I think it'll work this time. (I've tossed about 3 times now)

ShouldBeWriting

Registered
Reaction score
Nicely done, Polishmuse!

And Atlantic, good luck hitting 30,000 by the end of the week. Seems with sub dates and word counts, we’re nearly in sync... I hit 23,000 Saturday, which I’m happy about since I’m a quarter of the way there. But a third of the way would be even better.

Last week I wrote soooo slow. Like 250 words an hour. My usual 400-450 is slow enough. I think it was because I was doing minor edits on the book that’s now on sub and critiquing for my group, too, so it was hard to get into the flow or the time in. But this week, writing (and this spreadsheet) will get my full attention. I mean, other than life and family and work. But it’s definitely on the list!

Last edited:

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
But this week, writing (and this spreadsheet) will get my full attention. I mean, other than life and family and work. But it’s definitely on the list!

Ah yes, life. The thing that happens when we're not writing.

Good luck on 30,000 as well. I'm about to dive into the second act of the story. The first act is pretty bloated and will need lots of chopping in revision, but I need to plow ahead. I really really look forward to having a full book to revise, and this feels like the version I'll dig into once it's complete.

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
YES I REMEMBERED THE SPREADSHEET! I swear to God I'm the worst. Anyway, this month is allllll about edits. I have a deadline of 10/29, so I need to get this stuff done. Life threw me a curve yesterday so I threw up my hands and went to bed, but now I'm feeling more inspired to get to work. Whew!

Looks like yesterday went pretty well for Polishmuse and Atlantic, let's keep this going!