Rejection and NEW STUFF (Accountabilibuddies)

polishmuse

I'm a cookie
Registered
Reaction score
EEeeeep. Cheering you on, Chibs. Feel free to edit the spread sheet. I'll be joining once the semester is over in about a week. Right now I'm buried under so much grading I can barely breathe, but a corner of my mind is drafting the book I want to write this summer. I always write a book a year, and the summer is usually when I do it...

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Oh man, Chibi. 6 months! How are you with deadlines and what word count are you aiming for? I wrote both my Books 2 and 3 in 6 months (at weekends) but that was quite challenging and they were only 75k each.

I'm currently rewriting my Chapter 1. Sigh. I've had to go back and do some significant replotting and while this is all to the good, I so want to write NEW STUFF rather than revising this for the billionth time. And progress is sloooooow due to some personal issues.

Last edited:

ChibiUsagi

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the love guys :Sun:

I'd be aiming for a 120k word count, which is pretty standard for the kind of litfic I do. So it's going to be rough, especially as my day job is so demanding of my creative energy, and my cat is in the terrible 2's. As soon as I step in the door he wants all the attention, all night. And I can't blame him, poor thing is alone all day. I wish I could get a second to entertain him but it's not feasible right now.

I feel really good about the idea, and my editor loves it, so I now just hope to do it justice, since it's a subject matter she knows a lot about.

But she told me over drinks yesterday not to turn my head over too far, because we're diving into edits soon. She also talked about her plans for generating major buzz, which all sounded amazing.

All in all, I'm going to take a slow and steady approach. As I'm sure you all know, some days it trickles, some days it's like a dam burst.

Just going to keep trotting away to keep myself occupied until it's time for edits.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Hellooooo guys!!!! Was wondering if I could join accountabilibuddies (hope I got the spelling right!) I'm hester btw (new avvie, same old me :)).

Chibi, I've been following your journey and WOW--so many congratulations!!!!!!! :partyguy: I can't wait to see your book in print!!!!

And a big cheer for everyone else on the thread!!!! My goal is for 1,000 words a day on my YA feminist witchy thing :).

polishmuse

I'm a cookie
Registered
Reaction score
YAY hester, so glad you're on board! Get to writing! Can't wait to hear how your projects are shaping up and excited to join you both next week after the semester ends...

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Hester! Welcome! 1,000 words sounds like a target that is ambitious but achievable (or it would be for the way in which I write). I like the sound of a YA feminist witchy read! My current project is feminist YA though there are no withes anywhere. :)

I'm sure you'll be able to reach the 120k, Chibi, especially if you're able to get off to a strong start in the first couple of months. And I'm sure you can pick your agent's brain too given she has knowledge of what you're writing about. My cats constantly try to sit on my laptop while I'm working and demand attention that way which is very annoying.

On my book, I think I finally have a new working Chapter 1 which I'm happy with...

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much Raggy!!! And yay for new Chapter 1!!! :)

polishmuse

I'm a cookie
Registered
Reaction score
I'm officially back to drafting (after a long few months!) I snagged a stack of research books from the library today for the finer points, which is always a sign for me that it's time to really dive in. Once I'm reading the nonfic partner material, I always start to really draft seriously. Hoping to get down a few thou words each day this week to start the flow off well. I'm already 20k into this book, but it's finding the momentum again that's key...

polishmuse

I'm a cookie
Registered
Reaction score
Gaining momentum with the new project I'm working on and setting August writing goals. I'm at 12k now with new book and want to get to 38k by the end of August.
Anyone else have some goals they are working toward?

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Gaining momentum with the new project I'm working on and setting August writing goals. I'm at 12k now with new book and want to get to 38k by the end of August.
Anyone else have some goals they are working toward?

Good luck polish! I love the moment where the momentum staets to build - I normally hit it around 12k too.

I think for me it's going to be an editing August - I finished my first draft on my WIP a few days ago (months later than I wanted, but two months of insomnia really set me back) and it's going to be going through reads by family members and hopefully some beta readers if I can find anyone kind enough to help and edits, so... Probably won't be daily goals for me for a while.

jokertk

Registered
Reaction score
I got a rejection yesterday, but it gave me some good advice on moving forward. I've decided to rewrite the first two chapters, edit, and just make one. I'll also have to do some significant plot rewrites.

Hopefully all of this rewriting will give my book the initial hook it needs.

Reactions: DJRobb

Trash Culture

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I got a rejection after a request for a full ms. I thought it was the one and stopped doing anything else - a mistake. Then came the inevitable rejection and I feel crap. I didn't think it would feel this bad, as I've been rejected before. I guess its because the publisher initially said it was a good fit and was enthusiastic, but then the ms didn't meet their expectations. Still at least they were encouraging after rejecting me, so maybe i just keep plugging away.

Reactions: DJRobb

DJRobb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thenakedpeacock.com
Reading this post and the threads were just what I needed. I’ve been pushing myself to write while I’m querying for an agent for my novel and waiting to hear about some short stories I’ve submitted. Thanks.

Reactions: Maryn

LStein

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
I love this idea. Should we restart it?

Pythagorus5150

Registered
Reaction score
Well....the way I go about reacting to rejection and dejection is by not caring what other's think of me.
If it's outside your control; why waste the energy?

Side note: This same careless attitude could really improving your dancing...

• Haha

Pythagorus5150

Registered
Reaction score
Woo! That's great! I'm planning on doing my words tonight with a glass of cider. If anyone wants to join a Twitter Writing party, I'll be on there with word sprint times.
The moment I drink....the stupid version of me starts to write.
More credit to you for sure....

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of drinking while writing, at one time I had this imagined version of Me, the Writer, in which I wore fashionable clothes and makeup, lit myself a nice fire in a clean room, poured a glass of wine or two, and wrote good fiction.

Pretty much none of that is true except that I sometimes write good fiction. I do a good bit of my writing in sleepwear, clothes for yard work, or painting clothes (today's outfit featuring a Jazzercise shirt from 1989 and fresh paint spatters), and nothing I write under the influence of alcohol has ever been good enough to keep.

So, anyone prepared to set themselves a writing goal and get encouraged, even goaded, into keeping it? I'll help!

Maryn, such a dreamer