Rejection and NEW STUFF (Accountabilibuddies)

polishmuse

I'm a cookie
Registered
Reaction score
Hey all. RaggyCat and I were griping about how hard it was to start new things while in the submission and querying trenches, so here's a thread for the rejection/dejection crowd to work on editing or writing new projects.

Track your writing goals here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Ahg6qPE6exHxAHp9gKUHqhB2Y/edit?usp=sharingand celebrate little victories on the thread.

Note about link: It can be edited by anyone! That means You-- yes YOU-- can set a goal and keep yourself accountable today. Feel free to update the spreadsheet with the current dates if no one has used it in the last few weeks. Post here, and don't be surprised if more of us join you. Writing can be lonely, but it doesn't have to be.
:hi:

Last edited:

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all. RaggyCat and I were griping about how hard it was to start new things while in the submission trenches, so here's a thread for the rejection/dejection crowd to work on editing or writing new projects. Track your writing goals here (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11H1lUzNODuyL6ip1idAhg6qPE6exHxAHp9gKUHqhB2Y/edit?usp=sharing) and celebrate little victories on the thread.

Thanks for booting this up Polish! Do I need to request editing access to add myself to the doc, or is there some way of making the document open so people can just fill in their goals straightaway? (I should know this, I do use Google Docs... but I don't!).

Once I've replanned out this new book I'm SO ON THIS!

I have no idea what's happening with my writing at the moment but I've come to the conclusion it's always best to be working on a new project a) for sanity, b) to make good use of potentially dead time and c) to help cushion any rejection from querying/submitting. When my agent rejected an MS I loved the only thing that I think stopped me from getting really down was that I'd fallen in love with a new project by then.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! I finished something for sub in June (trying not to think about it), and then I had time again to return to another YA WIP, which is almost done! Well, not done-done, but I’m drafting the climax. I hope to show the whole thing to my CPs by October. I really love this one and want to make it work.

When that’s done, I have plans for two more YA thrillers, and I’ve started an adult novel. Which I work on will depend.

I also returned to a just-for-fun project (something I couldn’t publish under my name for genre reasons) that is now at 60k. I may bring it to 80k and then post it in an appropriate place —again, just as a fun, low-pressure thing.

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
What a great idea! I can always use help in being more accountable for getting work done, and I love yelling at people. So I'm in!

Can you make the doc editable so we can put our goals in?

Isobel

Registered
Reaction score
This is a great idea. I'm not quite ready yet, but in a few weeks, I should be ready to start drafting ...

januarycomet

Registered
Reaction score
OMG this is so great. And exactly what I need right now.

*drags her WIP kicking and screaming toward the doc*

ShouldBeWriting

Registered
Reaction score
This is such a good idea, and came at the perfect time for me. I’ve been feeling anxious waiting to hear back from my agent so started my new project this month. I set a modest goal... 500 words a day. That’s about all I can squeeze in with my other commitments right now. But still... if I keep to it, that will be 15,000 words that didn’t exist a month earlier. Guess I’ll know if I made it when I check my word count Sept. 1. (I check once a week, but maybe I’ll start daily goals Sept. 1 now that there’s this thread to motivate me.)

Reactions: DJRobb

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
That works, Polish, thank you! I've added myself. The sooner I replot this new novel and set myself some word goals the better. *thumbs up*

polishmuse

I'm a cookie
Registered
Reaction score
Yay for all of us! If you're able to join now? Great! If not, join when you can. We'll all be at different stages at different times, but I know I have to just sit down and stop making excuses, so thanks for being a part of that!
I'll also do writing sprints and such on twitter if you want to ever join those. I'll put my twitter in my siggy

januarycomet

Registered
Reaction score
I joined and I followed a few of you on twitter. My twitter is in my sig now. :)

polishmuse

I'm a cookie
Registered
Reaction score
Followed you, jancom!
Got my words in for today. I'm working on a new-ish novel project, something I haven't touched in a year. Blerg. I feel rusty already, but I know it will get easier every day.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Well done, Polish! A few days in and I bet the words will come more easily.

I'm doing some revisions to finished MS and have hit a bit of a stumbling block, which involves bringing a big reveal about a character about ten chapters forward. Can't decide where to move it to and not slow the story down. I'll get there, but, still, boo!

lamensa

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all - Can I join in on this? I got an agent a few weeks ago, and we're heading out on submission next week (trying not to think about it too much, but appropriately terrified).

I definitely could use some motivation to work on my next manuscript while in the submission trenches. I've been attempting to work on it, and realized forgot how much fun (ha) it is to draft a first draft! Would love to have some people to hold me accountable, if you'll have me ;)

polishmuse

I'm a cookie
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all - Can I join in on this? I got an agent a few weeks ago, and we're heading out on submission next week (trying not to think about it too much, but appropriately terrified).

I definitely could use some motivation to work on my next manuscript while in the submission trenches. I've been attempting to work on it, and realized forgot how much fun (ha) it is to draft a first draft! Would love to have some people to hold me accountable, if you'll have me ;)

YES! Welcome! The book I wrote while trying to get an agent is the book I got an agent with, and the book I wrote on sub is the one I'm hopefully soon to go on sub with, so keeping busy is the name of the game. :)

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, this sounds really great.

But my brain is dead (flu + pre-sub edits). So we're planning to send Book 1 on sub in September, and that means I can finally get back to Book 2 (standalones), which I love but is only about 12,000 words in. What slows me down is that every month or so (maybe 2) I end up pulled away from that book to tweak the first one. This has been happening for ages, and I'm just so ready to *concentrate on one book* for more than a couple months in one go. But. . .we'll be on submission, so who knows? Maybe I won't hear anything for a really really long time and at the moment that doesn't sound so bad because I want to work on Book 2 so much. On the other hand, I want Book 1 to sell...

Anyway, I'm joining in, just not sure when. Book 1 has to be nailed and out first. Soon, I hope!

ps I am in awe of any of you writing more than 2 novels at once. I can't even manage 2.

ShouldBeWriting

Registered
Reaction score
Atlantic 12, I know exactly how you feel. I submitted revisions to my agent a month ago and have used the last 30 days in a mad sprint to make some headway on a new novel. So I’m torn, because each day waiting to hear back about the revised manuscript/submission plans feels like a week, but I also dread losing momentum on the new book.

polishmuse

I'm a cookie
Registered
Reaction score
Just not up for words today, but I should be back on the horse tomorrow and hope that sept will be a good month--aiming for 30 k before November so I can finish a draft of a book by the end of the year if I do NaNo.
Today though? Got MAYBE three hours of sleep last night because littlest muse was up 12--- count um 12--- times and then slaved away at day job all day, then came home to have to make dinner, entertain muses, and now they're all in bed and I just want to crawl into the fetal position and sleep for a year. Blarg. Still, I'm feeling good about tomorrow. Go us. It's almost Friday!

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Just not up for words today, but I should be back on the horse tomorrow and hope that sept will be a good month--aiming for 30 k before November so I can finish a draft of a book by the end of the year if I do NaNo.
Today though? Got MAYBE three hours of sleep last night because littlest muse was up 12--- count um 12--- times and then slaved away at day job all day, then came home to have to make dinner, entertain muses, and now they're all in bed and I just want to crawl into the fetal position and sleep for a year. Blarg. Still, I'm feeling good about tomorrow. Go us. It's almost Friday!

Arttyhgeryye3245 Polish! (nonsense in place of swear words) 12 times? That must be a record, right? I'm surprised you can type coherent sentences. Are you going to try and make up for not writing yesterday and do double words one day, or just keep plugging on with 1k per day?

I'm hoping to finish my revisions on old MS on Tuesday and move straight on to replotting the new book so I can actually get started on getting words down!

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
Atlantic 12, I know exactly how you feel. I submitted revisions to my agent a month ago and have used the last 30 days in a mad sprint to make some headway on a new novel. So I’m torn, because each day waiting to hear back about the revised manuscript/submission plans feels like a week, but I also dread losing momentum on the new book.

Oh yeah, that's definitely me too!

It's taken me 4 days to edit the first third of my book per agent's notes, so hopefully I'll be shifting back to book 2 soon....

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Banged out most of an outline last night. I do little bullet point trains of thought with snippets of dialogue thrown in, so I think I have to think the middle section through a little more and then turn the whole thing into a coherent synopsis to turn in, but at least it's a start! This morning I slurped coffee and put together a Pinterest board for the new WIP. It's starting to come together and I'm very excited. Also relieved, since this was a plot idea I pulled out of my ass and wasn't sure if I could accomplish.

Also, I hear y'all on how hard it is to work on a new thing while waiting to hear back on the old one. Everyone says that's what you should do, but man, it's like waiting for a hammer to fall, isn't it??

polishmuse

I'm a cookie
Registered
Reaction score
Raggy: I'm just going to do my 1k today and call it good. If I'm only angling for 30k by November, that lets me get 500 words a day pretty handedly. I'm waiting on final edits from a friend on another project, so some of next month will be me doing revisions to send that project off to agent-darling, but I need to keep writing something new or I think I'll get depressed.
I completely understand the hard-ness of starting something new while waiting for yea/nay on current project, but after being on sub for 15 mos with a project that's now shelved, I'm grateful for the books (2) that I was able to crank out during that process. One of those, hopefully, will go on sub this fall (crosses fingers)

ShouldBeWriting

Registered
Reaction score
Polishmuse, your goals are similar to mine.... book started 8/1, first draft done by 12/31, which should work out to about 500 words a day. Added myself to list and think I’m going to switch to daily word counts tomorrow (instead of weekly counts.) It will be interesting to see if I’m on track when I calculate tomorrow. Last book took two years so we’ll see. :)

polishmuse

I'm a cookie
Registered
Reaction score
Polishmuse, your goals are similar to mine.... book started 8/1, first draft done by 12/31, which should work out to about 500 words a day. Added myself to list and think I’m going to switch to daily word counts tomorrow (instead of weekly counts.) It will be interesting to see if I’m on track when I calculate tomorrow. Last book took two years so we’ll see. :)
Woo! That's great! I'm planning on doing my words tonight with a glass of cider. If anyone wants to join a Twitter Writing party, I'll be on there with word sprint times.