A nerd with a pillow fort and wifi

rinnika

Registered
Reaction score
Hey there guys <3

I'm an aspiring writer from England who, as the title suggests, would happily spend hours with nothing more than her laptop and a fort of soft pillows (and probably blankets too). Based on that, I am pretty much what you'd expect. I'm passively in a bunch of fandoms, science nerd, film geek and refer to dogs as 'doggos'. I own doggos too :)

I've settled myself into a lifestyle of being a writer purely because it is the only thing I am any good at. If not a writer I suppose I would be an actor - my abilities don't really extend beyond these two highly competitive and creative industries. The trends of my success always involve a significant amount of writing - be it factual or fictional. I can do a bit of archery and cocktail-making but I can't read sheet music to save my life, as much as I'd love to be more of a musician. I have always been a bit shy to my work up for all to see, so I can only apologise in advance for that!

It has been a few years since my last visit to a forum but I expect it's no surprise that all the forums I was on were creative writing based :) Were any of you on roleplaying forums or anything similar when you were younger?
I have always written and created characters as far as I know. The characters are my absolute favourite part. I've been writing proactively for about 5 years, give or take. I enjoy reading anything that bends the rules of its genre. I tend not to read much romance although I do anjoy a well-written romantic subplot. With my own writing, I stick more in the realm of fantasy, mystery or adventure. I love to weave magic into mundane things and it takes a conscious effort on my part to keep things in reality. I haven't written action or sci-fi much, nor romance, historical or fanfiction. To be honest, there is a lot I haven't done but I want to try everything at least once. I'm not certain if that is a good or bad thing.

I'm super happy to be here (this is the first writer/reader community I've been a part of) and excited to learn from all you guys who are infinitely more experienced than I am :)

Vida Paradox

Code Surfer
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Rinnika! Vida here!

Welcome to AW!!! I'm a newbie here too, but I can tell you that this forum is just amazing and I hope you'll find a place to fit right in! Everyone is so welcome and helpful. The mods are so nice. There's a lot of activities to do, like discussing about writing, bouncing around ideas, talking about philosophy, or simply playing some word games. And really, we all have good intentions, so don't be shy to share your work.

Also, Fantasy and Sci-Fi? If that's what you like, then you'll be seeing a lot of me around this place. Especially in the Fantasy Sci-Fi forum.

And Stickies!!! Don't forget the Stickies! They're there to help you fit in, each one of them are full of awesome and cool tips about writing and this forum. They'll help you in the long run, trust me on that.

I think that's all I have to say. Have fun in this wonderful supportive community. I hope one day we can all help you to become a bestselling author. Just give it your all and never give up!

And as always, thanks for reading! ^_^

Last edited:

rinnika

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Vida!

Thanks for the welcome - I'm so ready to get involved! I'll definitely keep an eye out for your work around the place.
That's certainly some good advice, thank you! I'll keep it in mind. :)

NathanLyle

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. Dogs are awesome. Big fan of England. You've chosen to pursue careers in two of the most difficult industries to make a living in so good luck with that. I treat magic the same way I treat romance. It can be useful but unless it actually improves the story I avoid it at all cost.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I was never on a role playing forum, but I used to play D&D as a child.

Best of luck on your writing, and welcome to AW!

Jennie

Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

I don't see why you shouldn't try out writing whatever strikes your fancy. There is no good or bad thing. Just enjoy yourself! :hooray:

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, aspiring writer from England! well, if we each have one thing we're good at, at least you got writing. I got tying my shoelace, and I can make a killer piece of toast. :)
Well, I hope you enjoy your stay with us, and I'm sure we will learn a lot from you too.

Errant_Fragments

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome from another new Brit (although currently expat) pillow forts are awesome and I used to hang out on RPG forums too... welcome to this, thing hopefully it works out for us both

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
Hi Rinnika,
Welcome to AW! A pillow fort is just the thing we writers need sometimes.
I'm sure you will find the fantasy forum really useful. There is so much useful stuff on the various boards. Good luck with your writing!

rinnika

Registered
Reaction score
Ah thanks for all the welcomes guys! I'm already checking out all the things :)

I got tying my shoelace, and I can make a killer piece of toast. :)

Well, I can make a fabulous cup of tea, despite the fact that I don't drink it myself. Tea, toast and tied shoelaces - it's all looking up from here!

beeauthor

Registered
Reaction score
Hi rinnika! I'm an aspiring author too! Thought I'd say hi as a lot of things in your post spoke to me! Pillows, dogs, England, fantasy and a good romance plot are always the best things :D
Best of luck with all your writing :)

Redbeard

Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Relaxing under a shady tree and sipping a frozen m
I'd say welcome, but I've only just joined myself. So far it seems to be a comfortable place so I kicked off my shoes and found a comfortable place to sit and watch.

As for animals, I've had both dogs and cats over the years but have always preferred dogs. My favorite was a red Australian Shepard.

rinnika

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the welcomes! I'm starting to feel quite comfortable here!

As for animals, I've had both dogs and cats over the years but have always preferred dogs. My favorite was a red Australian Shepard.

Ah, Shepherds are wonderful! They're one of my favourite breeds :)

Hayley Lane

Registered
Reaction score
Hi and welcome! No need to be good in other things if writing is what you want to do! The tea things sounds great, though! I'll prop myself on the couch with a big cup of tea and my computer, so I'd love to taste one of yours :)

Greetings,
Catlover :ROFL:

Last edited: