Which actor matches this description?

mewellsmfu

Registered
Reaction score
It says something about me that I have no idea who Mekhi Pfifer, Nick Stahl or Lukas Haas are. George Clooney is very much still A-List. Highest paid actor in Hollywood last year. I think Karl Urban has done a number of tv shows and stays busy, but he's never been a big name. I like him a lot, though. Nailed McCoy in ST. Think Leto is on the upswing, not the down, and Steve Zahn works steadily, so agree with cornflake there. Believe Val Kilmer is over 55, probably several more. Hugh Grant would be a good one, but he's definitely older than 55.

Not sure why some stick and others don't.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Haas is the kid from Witness (Harrison Ford on an Amish farm); I think that's the last time he was famous for a role -- now a working character actor. Pfifer I think is only 'known' because he was in 8 Mile and mentioned in a song; but he's been a random character actor for a while -- was on ER. I dunno who Stahl is, or Karl Urban.

Kilmer has been ill for a long while (or ill and not), which I presume had to do with the dropping out thing.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
Stephen Dorff. Sigh. Always had a huge crush on him for years. He is such a talented actor but kept making them terrible movies! He was so hot in Blade but it's been down hill since. Unfortunately he's known more for his bad boy persona and all the women he's dated including Pamela Anderson.

Last edited:

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score
Haas is the kid from Witness (Harrison Ford on an Amish farm); I think that's the last time he was famous for a role -- now a working character actor. Pfifer I think is only 'known' because he was in 8 Mile and mentioned in a song; but he's been a random character actor for a while -- was on ER. I dunno who Stahl is, or Karl Urban.

Kilmer has been ill for a long while (or ill and not), which I presume had to do with the dropping out thing.

I forgot Val had some type of illness. I know Karl Urban by name but couldn't tell you how he looked.

Stahl is another ex-child actor. I think he's talented. Was in a lot of movies including one of the Terminator films. Maybe if you see him you'd know him: https://www.google.com/search?q=nic...1JXdAhVq_IMKHckCBrEQ_AUICygC&biw=1920&bih=974

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score
Balthazar Getty. Another handsome, ex-child actor who has some acting chops. He's all gray now but still foxy. Anyone not familiar with Balthazar, he was the main kid in Lord of the Flies. Has since been in tons of B-movies. Can't think of any real hit he's been in since being grown.

Last edited:

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score
It says something about me that I have no idea who Mekhi Pfifer, Nick Stahl or Lukas Haas are. George Clooney is very much still A-List. Highest paid actor in Hollywood last year. I think Karl Urban has done a number of tv shows and stays busy, but he's never been a big name. I like him a lot, though. Nailed McCoy in ST. Think Leto is on the upswing, not the down, and Steve Zahn works steadily, so agree with cornflake there. Believe Val Kilmer is over 55, probably several more. Hugh Grant would be a good one, but he's definitely older than 55.

Mekhi Pfifer is the black guy who was in the movie O with Julia Styles. Has been in a lot of things, mostly black films but he is mainly a supporting actor. I used to have a crush on him too.

Here is his pic. Unfortunately he is fat now but used to be cute. Not sure if you listen to R&B but he is also known for being the dude in the Brandy and Monica video for the The Boy is Mine song. He also played Brandy's boyfriend in I Know What You Did Last Summer 2.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1....img..1.17.915.0..0i67k1j0i30k1.0.37TCMQ74YQI

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score
Jamie Foxx. He's doing a game show now. Don't believe he's the hot actor he once was.

Jay Hernandez. In case you don't remember him, he was the cute guy in the Kirsten Dunst film Crazy Beautiful. I thought he had so much potential but he's hardly done anything worth mentioning since. He has snagged the main role of the new Magnum show, which will be a huge mistake. I'm sorry but no one can play Magnum but Mr. Mustache himself. The reason Magnum was so popular was because Tom Selleck had all the women sweating from their perms down to their toenails in the 80's. LOL! That was my aunt's favorite show. Without him that show wouldn't have lasted a season and I doubt the new one will too. Jay Hernandez? Please. I mean, just don't see how this will work but maybe they'll prove me wrong. Why not just do a new show starting Jay? I don't get all these remakes.

Last edited:

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score

I don't know about George. Has he done anything since he got married? He's not as hot as he once was. He used to be in everything. He'll always be popular but I can't remember the last movie he's made or maybe it slipped past me. He's not the highest paid actor by a long shot. Tom Cruise was the second-highest actor last year and the first was someone named Shak Ruh Kahn who I have no idea who that is. I just checked the list. LOL! I believe The Rock is this year's highest paid actor. This was the Forbes Top 10. I don't think Clooney even made the list. I am sure Clooney is one of the highest paid of all time but not the highest paid last year.

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
Balthazar Getty. Another handsome, ex-child actor who has some acting chops. He's all gray now but still foxy. Anyone not familiar with Balthazar, he was the main kid in Lord of the Flies. Has since been in tons of B-movies. Can't think of any real hit he's been in since being grown.

He's mainly done TV works. He was in Charmed, Alias, Brothers and Sisters,etc...

I don't know about George. Has he done anything since he got married? He's not as hot as he once was. He used to be in everything. He'll always be popular but I can't remember the last movie he's made or maybe it slipped past me. He's not the highest paid actor by a long shot. Tom Cruise was the second-highest actor last year and the first was someone named Shak Ruh Kahn who I have no idea who that is. I just checked the list. LOL! I believe The Rock is this year's highest paid actor. This was the Forbes Top 10. I don't think Clooney even made the list. I am sure Clooney is one of the highest paid of all time but not the highest paid last year.

I think for George is not a question of not getting work than just being happy not to work and enjoy life. He's been producing a lot, however is apparently busy filming the TV adaptation of Catch-22 (he is also producing it).

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
He's worked since he got married, but I think he's been more behind-the-scenes since they had the kids.

Regardless, the question was about people whose careers aren't what they used to be, who still have the clout to secure financing, but could use a revival in a good series. That's for sure not Clooney. Likewise a bunch of the kid actors I don't think ever had much clout. Like, could Mekhi Pfiffer ever get financing on his name alone attaching to something?

Clooney can pick up the phone and secure enough to start a superhero franchise of his own, I'm pretty sure, even with a bunch of lost money trailing behind him. He's Clooney. Likewise Jackman, who has a lot more good money recently under his name, can, I'd wager, get whomever and whatever he wants with a phone call.

Can Cusack? He does still get work, and has decades of friends and good will and good work, and I'd think he can call up money and pals (god knows he's given out enough work to get some back) if he wanted, but he's not the hot property he was, and some critically-hailed cable or streaming thing starring him could put him back up there. That was the way I was thinking about the question anyway.

Though the Cusacks seem to swap a bit and I feel like she's been more up recently, heh. I <3 them both, especially together (GPB is the epitome, imo, even tho it wasn't portraying the actual relationship like SA). Someone put them in something together.

Davy The First

Registered
Reaction score
Kinda hope el Clooney will enter the ring for president myself.

He's not flawless, but it might save the world form Trump part 2 (although i doubt trump will be em, 'free' for part 2)

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score
He's worked since he got married, but I think he's been more behind-the-scenes since they had the kids.

Regardless, the question was about people whose careers aren't what they used to be, who still have the clout to secure financing, but could use a revival in a good series. That's for sure not Clooney. Likewise a bunch of the kid actors I don't think ever had much clout. Like, could Mekhi Pfiffer ever get financing on his name alone attaching to something?

Clooney can pick up the phone and secure enough to start a superhero franchise of his own, I'm pretty sure, even with a bunch of lost money trailing behind him. He's Clooney. Likewise Jackman, who has a lot more good money recently under his name, can, I'd wager, get whomever and whatever he wants with a phone call.

Can Cusack? He does still get work, and has decades of friends and good will and good work, and I'd think he can call up money and pals (god knows he's given out enough work to get some back) if he wanted, but he's not the hot property he was, and some critically-hailed cable or streaming thing starring him could put him back up there. That was the way I was thinking about the question anyway.

Though the Cusacks seem to swap a bit and I feel like she's been more up recently, heh. I <3 them both, especially together (GPB is the epitome, imo, even tho it wasn't portraying the actual relationship like SA). Someone put them in something together.

About Clooney someone named Nic Cage too and I think Nic could definitely make anything happen still as well with as long as he's been around and his family ties. I am not a Nic Cage fan by all means but I'd say he could secure something if he picked up the phone too. LOL! Some might say the same about Dennis Quaid (from my hometown) but not so sure.

I guess we can say it's not fair to name some of the folks who are just older. It's true that when you are older, you rarely get the same shots in Hollywood as when you are younger. Women have if rougher than men as we know. I think many of the guys we named just got old and past their Hollywood prime but still are famous with some clout. Others were just hot for a short while or got big for being heartthrobs but couldn't actually act. It's easy when you are young and good-looking to have love crazed teenagers carry you through (as someone mentioned, Robert Patterson) but when you get over a certain age you need to be able to show you got some acting chops. You can't get over on good lucks forever. Though some non-actors like Tom Cruise continue to make it. Cruise can't act. He got lucky because a bunch of teens thought he was cute in the 80s and he made a bunch of movies where he hooked up with big actors like Paul Newman. I definitely call Cruise lucky. I'm not hating on him, I like some of Cruise's movies but not a day goes by that I am not shocked at how long his career has made it when guys who could out act him with a blindfold on can't get a job.

Honorable mention: Richard Gere. I know he's WAY older than 55 but I loved Gere. He's another one where age worked against him. He is still in things from time to time but no way the caliber of actor he was in the 90's.

So, yeah, some of the men we named lost their star when they got old opposed to some who couldn't last even a decade. I don't know what happened to Jude Law. He was the hottest thing at one time but like these others, fizzled. Gotta have staying power or you won't last in this business.

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score
You're right about 2017. Clooney's the highest paid actor in the world: https://www.esquire.com/lifestyle/money/a22861344/george-clooney-net-worth-tequila-casamigos/

Dude makes over $27K every single hour.

cornflake, I also love the Cusacks.

I am a huge John Cusack fan. Can't stand Joan or Ann. Nope. LOVE John. As for Clooney, I was going by what actors got paid in Hollywood from their movies. I wasn't thinking about endorsements or products. I read the Forbes list of the highest paid actors in Hollywood last year and Clooney wasn't on the list.

Forbes list in case anyone is interested: https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/forbes-highest-paid-actors-of-2017/

And I made a mistake on the other post. Mark Wahlberg was the number highest paid actor last year according to this list. Not trying to argue or anything just wanted to show the list so people know I didn't make it up. LOL!

Jackie Chan is on the list????? Wow. I was a big Chan fan back in the day but I think he does a lot of movies back in China now. I'm just surprised he's on the list even though I know he's still a huge actor, I can't remember what he's done over here lately.

Last edited:

mewellsmfu

Registered
Reaction score
Actors do all kinds of work. Voice overs, theatre, advertisements. It's all acting. If a singer sings in a Broadway show and then does vocals for commercials or backup for another singer, she's still a singer. Don't like to box people in like that. It would be like saying if you write a commercial, that make you less of writer because you also wrote a trade novel. It's more impressive to have a bunch of best sellers, but if an agengy liked what you write and offered you a hundred grand to deliver a commercial, that's still legitimate writing. Clooney made $40 million endorsing nespresso and appearing on their ads. That's still acting. None of them derive all their incomes from making movies. And he's the highest paid in 2018, so who was in the #1 spot last year is immaterial. Point is, guy's worth a half billion. If that's washed up, then washed up looks pretty good to me.

I do think Hollywood is unkind to aging actors. But Harrison Ford, Ian McKellan, Gary Oldman, Robert DiNiro, John Malkovitch, and a host of others are still sought after. Sean Connery is in his eighties and turned down Speilberg's offer to cast him in another Indiana. He says he's retired. Period.

And before youth culture dominated movies, Cary Grant was hot into his 80s. Clarke Gable, John Wayne...many others were huge stars until they died. Clint Eastwood has acted and directed for decades and still packs them in. And then you had Sir Alec Guiness. No lighweight there. Writing an actor off because they are older doesn't mean the aren't still getting plenty of work.

For women, the choices are even more pathetic. Helen Mirren and Judy Dench have broken the age barriers, but so many have had so much work done they're unrecognizable. It's a very unkind business.

But Cool Pop, I will give you this one: Tom Selleck will always and forever be Magnum. And it wasn't just his drop-dead appeal to women that cemented his role in that show. It was his down-to-earth personality and humor that made him embody that character. He IS Magnum.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
About Clooney someone named Nic Cage too and I think Nic could definitely make anything happen still as well with as long as he's been around and his family ties. I am not a Nic Cage fan by all means but I'd say he could secure something if he picked up the phone too. LOL! Some might say the same about Dennis Quaid (from my hometown) but not so sure.

I guess we can say it's not fair to name some of the folks who are just older. It's true that when you are older, you rarely get the same shots in Hollywood as when you are younger. Women have if rougher than men as we know. I think many of the guys we named just got old and past their Hollywood prime but still are famous with some clout. Others were just hot for a short while or got big for being heartthrobs but couldn't actually act. It's easy when you are young and good-looking to have love crazed teenagers carry you through (as someone mentioned, Robert Patterson) but when you get over a certain age you need to be able to show you got some acting chops. You can't get over on good lucks forever. Though some non-actors like Tom Cruise continue to make it. Cruise can't act. He got lucky because a bunch of teens thought he was cute in the 80s and he made a bunch of movies where he hooked up with big actors like Paul Newman. I definitely call Cruise lucky. I'm not hating on him, I like some of Cruise's movies but not a day goes by that I am not shocked at how long his career has made it when guys who could out act him with a blindfold on can't get a job.

Honorable mention: Richard Gere. I know he's WAY older than 55 but I loved Gere. He's another one where age worked against him. He is still in things from time to time but no way the caliber of actor he was in the 90's.

So, yeah, some of the men we named lost their star when they got old opposed to some who couldn't last even a decade. I don't know what happened to Jude Law. He was the hottest thing at one time but like these others, fizzled. Gotta have staying power or you won't last in this business.

Tom Cruise was very solid in both Interview with a Vampire and Collateral. It's not that he can't act, he just doesn't very often.

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
Tom Cruise was very solid in both Interview with a Vampire and Collateral. It's not that he can't act, he just doesn't very often.

Actually hated him in Interview with a Vampire, I thought it is one of the worse casting decision along with casting Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon. Can't comment on Collateral, never watched it as it stars two people I can stand the least on screen (Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx). My main issue with Tom Cruise apart from his early work is that I always feel like I'm watching Tom Cruise: Tom Cruise playing secret agent, Tom Cruise playing an ex-soldier, etc... never watching the character.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan, but my sister is and I think Jackman is still a top box office draw. He recently starred in several movies and has another one coming out in November, has won a Golden Globe, an Emmy and a Tony and is active in musical theater. I doubt he'd be trolling for television shows. (I did love his entrance when he hosted the Tony Awards. It exhausted me to watch it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKTlTsQgy5w

As for the others, I don't know much about them, but I think Ryan Phillippe is already doing television. I have often wondered what happened to Orlando Bloom. I haven't seen him much recently.

Yes, I'd say Mr. Jackman's career is steaming along nicely, thank you.

I haven't heard of Ryan Phillipe in anything for years.

yesandno

stagnationtown
Registered
Reaction score
I was going to say Crispin Glover, but when I looked it up I saw that he is in American Gods. Guess he's already in that category! Haven't seen any of American Gods yet, but I'm always late on catching TV series.

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
Chris Kataan? he was pretty hot (looks and talent) during the 90s SNL...Roxbury Bros) would love for him to have a comeback movie! or something. (heck Jim Carrey wants to revive In Living Color...so sign up Kataan!)