Which actor matches this description?

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
An odd question, but I do have a good reason for asking.

Which actor would match these criteria?:

"A male actor aged between 35 and 55, whose career maybe isn't as hot as it used to be, but one who still has some clout. Someone not yet desperate, but who sees desperation on the horizon... Someone who still has enough clout to get financing, and whose career could be revived by being cast in a TV series."

I know this calls for speculation and a degree of imagination, but I'd love to hear some names from you movie buffs. (Also, to the degree the description sounds a little insulting or derogatory, I'm sorry. I just wanted to quote the person who asked me the question and get as accurate an answer as possible.)

Thanks!

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Vince Vaughn. Brendan Fraser. Adam Sandler.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
A few of these might be on the outside edge of your age range.... John Cusack, Dennis Quaid, Channing Tatum, Hugh Grant, Colin Farrell, Ed Norton, Jack Black...

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
That crew of guys in the 90s that all kinda looked alike to the point that I couldn't really tell them apart and therefore can't remember any of their names?

Dead Poet's Society type guys.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A few of these might be on the outside edge of your age range.... John Cusack, Dennis Quaid, Channing Tatum, Hugh Grant, Colin Farrell, Ed Norton, Jack Black...

The first one I thought of :)

Some of names in this thread are well over 55 by now surely.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hugh Jackman (or, as an acquaintance liked to call him, Huge Ackman)
Joaquin Phoenix
Jude Law
Nicolas Cage
Adrian Brody
Colin Farrell
Toby Maguire
Ethan Hawke
James Marsden
Jonathan Rhys Meyers
Orlando Bloom
Robert Pattinson
Ryan Phillippe

mewellsmfu

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan, but my sister is and I think Jackman is still a top box office draw. He recently starred in several movies and has another one coming out in November, has won a Golden Globe, an Emmy and a Tony and is active in musical theater. I doubt he'd be trolling for television shows. (I did love his entrance when he hosted the Tony Awards. It exhausted me to watch it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKTlTsQgy5w

As for the others, I don't know much about them, but I think Ryan Phillippe is already doing television. I have often wondered what happened to Orlando Bloom. I haven't seen him much recently.

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
Yes Hugh Jackman is big box office draw at the moment especially with the recent success of Logan and The Greatest Showman.
Ryan Philippe is starring in the Netflix Shooter series. I believe Orlando Bloom is doing theatre at the moment in London.
James Marsden is riding the massive success that is Westworld.
Robert Pattinson is purposely doing indie movies, which is his true passion. I mean, the guy hated Twilight.
Joaquin Phoenix has a pretty healthy career

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Agreed on Jackman -- few actors are hotter atm really. I can't imagine a studio head who wouldn't drop everything if he called. He's had a couple of flops, but they weren't pinned on him. He's a pretty reliable open, as attached he's a draw, and his project continues to bring in a shitload across media.

I thought Westworld had shot itself in the foot with S2? I agree Marsden isn't what I'd call desperate -- he's always gotten a decent stream of roles in film and tv but just saying I heard Westworld had shit the bed in S2 creatively and ratings-wise.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
Bradley Cooper.

OMG! I forgot about old Bradley Cooper!!! What the hell happened to him? Is he still acting? He was in everything at one while and then disappeared. Has he made anything since The Words?

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score
Vince Vaughn. Brendan Fraser. Adam Sandler.

:roll:Sorry. I'm rolling on the floor. I doubt Vaughn or Fraser's career can be saved by anything let alone a show. And Adam has a ton of new movies on Netflix. He doesn't make as many movies as he used to but I think he does more writing behind the scenes. He's a writer and has his own production company. But Vaughn and Fraser... Vaughn drank his career away as well as had a string of bombs. Fraser went MIA for about 15 years. You can't just disappear like that and expect to still have a career.

And I like Vaughn. I always thought he was sexy until he turned into John Goodman. When he started getting fat and bloated I knew he had a drinking problem. I liked him more when he did dramas then he went to those low-rate screwball comedies. Poor Vaughn. I bet he's begging for a Swingers sequel.

Last edited:

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score
Hugh Jackman (or, as an acquaintance liked to call him, Huge Ackman)
Joaquin Phoenix
Jude Law
Nicolas Cage
Adrian Brody
Colin Farrell
Toby Maguire
Ethan Hawke
James Marsden
Jonathan Rhys Meyers
Orlando Bloom
Robert Pattinson
Ryan Phillippe

Catwoman approves this list. Sigh. So many I used to love. I loved JRM until he went on that racist rant at the airport. What a sad life, all that drinking and drugging. He kept losing jobs because he couldn't stay off the bottle. And that racist rant hurt him big time too. Is Nicolas Cage under 55???? Hell, as long as he's been around? I thought he was clocking 60. I LOVE Adrian Brody but he was only gonna go so far on that one Oscar. His career choices stunk after then. Ryan Phillippe at least has a show on TV. He's on the Shooter. Wow it is something to see how fast people fall. But to be honest, with some of these dudes they made it on being heartthrobs half of them aren't good actors. I used to think Jonathan Rhys was but he tends to overact on things and hasn't done anything decent since The Tudors. I like Ethan Hawke and he never was a HUGE star, more of a character actor.

Good list, sadly.

Last edited:

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score
Cuba Gooding Jr. Lord. A travesty in the making. Another one bitten by the Oscar curse.

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score
Cuba Gooding Jr.
Freddie Prinze Jr.
Emilio Estevez
Val Kilmer

Is Emilio and Val younger than 55? If so, life is cruel. LOL! And I used to love Val Kilmer in the 80s before he started looking like a bloated woman who has had too much plastic surgery.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
OMG! I forgot about old Bradley Cooper!!! What the hell happened to him? Is he still acting? He was in everything at one while and then disappeared. Has he made anything since The Words?

I don't have any recollection of The Words even existing. Cooper gets a lot of work -- and he had a baby kinda recently? He's in the Star is Born remake I just saw a preview for 11 damn times (that looks like shit but there it is), he was in that horrifying thing with the lying sniper, and he's the raccoon in Guardians of the Galaxy, at least?

:roll:Sorry. I'm rolling on the floor. I doubt Vaughn or Fraser's career can be saved by anything let alone a show. And Adam has a ton of new movies on Netflix. He doesn't make as many movies as he used to but I think he does more writing behind the scenes. He's a writer and has his own production company. But Vaughn and Fraser... Vaughn drank his career away as well as had a string of bombs. Fraser went MIA for about 15 years. You can't just disappear like that and expect to still have a career.

And I like Vaughn. I always thought he was sexy until he turned into John Goodman. When he started getting fat and bloated I knew he had a drinking problem. I liked him more when he did dramas then he went to those low-rate screwball comedies. Poor Vaughn. I bet he's begging for a Swingers sequel.

Fraser has been doing a bunch of tv, and Vaughn I think gets workish still, despite being Vince Vaughn. Sandler I don't understand why anyone has ever watched his 'comedies,' but they still pay him to make them, now straight-to-Netflix, yeah, heh.

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score

No, not John! John is still acting. Get my man off this list. LOL! Ooh, I have always loved Johan Cusack. Had a crush on him back in the 80s when I was a child.

Hell Dennis Quaid should be 65!!!:ROFL: I know darn well Dennis Quaid ain't under 55! Surely not. Hugh Grant either. I could be wrong about Hugh. I'm too lazy to Google but I know DQ has to be older than 55 surely. The rest of them, I never cared for. And Jack Black, knew he wouldn't last.

I'm loving this thread. ROFL!

Last edited:

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have any recollection of The Words even existing. Cooper gets a lot of work -- and he had a baby kinda recently? He's in the Star is Born remake I just saw a preview for 11 damn times (that looks like shit but there it is), he was in that horrifying thing with the lying sniper, and he's the raccoon in Guardians of the Galaxy, at least?

Fraser has been doing a bunch of tv, and Vaughn I think gets workish still, despite being Vince Vaughn. Sandler I don't understand why anyone has ever watched his 'comedies,' but they still pay him to make them, now straight-to-Netflix, yeah, heh.

With Cooper I only watched the Hangoever movies, that movie with Sandra Bullock (she was hilarious) and The Words was with Zoe Sandana. I only watched that one because I'm a sucker for interracial romances but the movie sucked. Adam has his own studio so that's why he's still working. If he didn't produce all his own movies he wouldn't be anywhere. I was watching Adam back when he was on SNL with Chris Rock, Chris Farley, and all those from the early 90's. He is all right but I never found him that funny. Too silly for me. I only like his comedies with Chris Rock. Shoot, we can put him on the list.

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score
Chris Rock
Martin Lawrence
Chris Tucker
Steve Zahn
Ben Stiller
Zack Braff
George Clooney
Cristian Bale (Yeah I said it. :tongue Yes, he is still acting but he isn't the big name he used to be)
Jared Leto (was he ever really anything?)
Mekhi Phifer
Wesley Snipes
Edward Furlong (sad, had so much potential after T2, drugs)
Nick Stahl
James Marsden
Lukas Haas
Macauley Culkin
Elijah Wood

I know, I know, I'm probably pushing it with some of these guys with the age range. I was too lazy to Google.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Chris Rock
Martin Lawrence
Chris Tucker
Steve Zahn I'd say he's not declined really -- always got work, gets work, wasn't ever really a power player imo? Is on tv.
Ben Stiller
Zack Braff
George Clooney ???
Cristian Bale (Yeah I said it. :tongue Yes, he is still acting but he isn't the big name he used to be)
Jared Leto (was he ever really anything?) I.... well when he won that Oscar?? Also he gets a lot of work. Since, you know, he won that Oscar, and before that, and I don't think he wants more with the band? He's like, everywhere?
Mekhi Phifer
Wesley Snipes
Edward Furlong (sad, had so much potential after T2, drugs)
Nick Stahl
James Marsden
Lukas Haas
Macauley Culkin
Elijah Wood

I know, I know, I'm probably pushing it with some of these guys with the age range. I was too lazy to Google.

Does Culkin even still act, besides in some arty whatever shorts for people? I think Haas is legit working.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
No one's mentioned Karl Urban yet. For that matter we could mention his fellow Kiwi Russell Crowe, but...I'd rather not.