Idiot loses dream NASA internship: how she did it won't shock you!

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Did you guess "Twitter self-immolation"? If so, have a prize!

Would-Be NASA Intern Reportedly Loses Position Over Vulgar Tweets
The exchange — captured by several news outlets through screenshots — began when the user, who used the handle @NaomiH_official, wrote in all caps, "I got accepted for a NASA internship," adding a sentence with profanity to express excitement.

The post garnered a stern response from Homer Hickam, a former NASA engineer whose memoir "Rocket Boys" — about growing up in a rural coal-mine community during the 1930s Depression while he learned about rocketry — inspired the 1999 Hollywood movie "October Sky." "Language," Hickam replied to the tweet.

@NaomiH_official responded to Hickam with another vulgar tweet, adding at the end of it, "I'm working for NASA." Hickam answered: "And I am on the National Space Council that oversees NASA," referring to his appointment from earlier this year.

Space.com didn't see fit to publish the actual vulgarity. I have no such shame. She dropped the f-bomb in a tweet. Homer Hickam suggested she mind her language when tweeting about her future employer. She then told Homer Hickam to suck her dick and balls.

The twist is, Homer Hickam seems like a nice guy. He didn't have anything to do with the loss of the internship (turns out that telling famous NASA pioneers to suck your dick and balls *while tagging your future employer* can draw their attention independently), and has subsequently said he wants to try and help her get the job back.

They really ought to have mandatory classes on social media professionalism, for everyone. I keep worrying that I'm going to try and be funny on Twitter and it's going to get back to me and ruin my life somehow. But then I remember I don't have one. Phew.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score

Vida Paradox

Code Surfer
Registered
Reaction score
[Insert Long Sigh followed by a Facepalm Here]

Name one thing I wouldn't give just for a chance to get my hands on one of those sweet, sweet NASA Computers and Technology...

But seriously, after observing it for a while, twitter is pretty dangerous. It is designed specifically to make you share what you're currently thinking off. The reward system on seeing all the little number goes up. The sense of satisfaction whenever you get people retweeting what you just said. The sense of accomplishment you get from having people following you around.

It's addicting...

It's dangerous because it has no filters...

I mean, if we compare it to other Social Media, say... This Forum.

You can't just write the first thing that pops into your head in AW. You gotta think before you write. There are mods and veterans who will always be there to keep you on track. It's universal here, everyone can see your post. Not just those who thinks like you.

Twitter? It has none of that. Say something outrageous enough and it will be popular. All because both who found it offensive and those found it funny is helping the numbers grow.

(I can go on to the details of web algorithm, but that'll be longer than my WIP)

Guess, what I'm trying to say is, don't get carried away by the numbers. You tweet, you write, or just say anything because you have something to say. Not because you simply wants all the likes or attention. Think before you post anything online, seriously, it's like shouting to the rest of the world here. I mean, do you curse out loud in the middle of crowded road to attract attention?

Same as the internet. In here, everyone can hear everything you say. In here, everyone can respond to you. In here, is a whole new world by itself, a very huge and open world unbounded by time and space.

So think before you write.

Phew... Getting a little bit deep back there. Sorry if I offend any of you out there, I really have nothing against Twitter or Social Media. Just have this urge to point this out to the whole world.

Thank you very much.

PS: Yes, grammar, punctuation, tenses, etc.
I know, it's a shipwreck.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Here's the thing though: that wasn't what got her fired. What got her fired was people jumping on those tweets, "defending" her and tweeting @NASA cussing them out in her name because of Homer's posts. It was the social media mob mentality that did it, not her language. Was her choice of words wise? Not remotely, but she was excited, young and foolish, and on her personal twitter account where she didn't expect anyone but her friends to notice. Unfortunately viral happened and the mob made her pay for it. I sincerely hope she can get the internship back.

Last edited:

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure how you get close to any position with NASA without understanding enough about its culture to avoid that kind of lapse in judgment. Especially if you're that happy about interning there. I was a NASA contractor (that's the title on my badge, which got me past the guys with that huge guns and onto and all over the military base, Cape Canaveral. Such a privilege). Before that experience, I didn't know much about the space program. But almost everyone I worked with, including my astronaut boss, had loved space and wanted to be part of the space program since they were children. Even though I knew I wouldn't be pursuing a career there, just the process you go through to get security clearances made me careful about everything I did and said, especially on base. Then again, I wasn't as active on social media back then (1999-2000).

I clicked through to the USA Today article and Hickam is trying to help her find a "role in the aerospace industry."

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I kind of understand NASA's position. They're the world's most famous and illustrious space agency, with the world's most famously professional working culture. Their internships must be amongst the most coveted in STEM. If you get a job at NASA and post about it online your social media isn't really personal, anymore. Like it or not, you're now representing your employer, and all it stands for, to the world. And it *really* isn't smart to then publicly tell a legend of your industry to fellate you, even if it sounds cool and funny inside your own head.

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure how you get close to any position with NASA without understanding enough about its culture to avoid that kind of lapse in judgment.
Or without, seemingly, knowing who Homer Hickam is.

She definitely knows who he is now. Hopefully he follows through, takes her under his wing, mentors her, and makes sure she deletes Twitter forever.

S. Eli

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
The NASA internship is pretty much the highest paid STEM internship period. I honestly get why they fired her (it's a VERY prestigious award, so why would they want to hire someone they can't trust on social media). I do hope she gets her job back, though, because while I'm not sympathetic I do realize it sucks if saying something dumb could pull such an opportunity from her.

(I'm not sympathetic because we all kind of know about professionalism. Twitter worked against her because it fakes like an informal environment, but we should KNOW BETTER WHEN AT-ING EMPLOYERS. Particularly this award because you've got a big position in a specialized organization. This whole sitch is dumb to me)

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
The 24-7 nature of social media means one is never truly "in private" anymore. I'm pretty sure we've all said stupid ass things and either gotten away with it, because our audience was limited to friends and family, or we got called out, but in a private way. Maybe a handful of people think you're a horrible person.

I remember a bad joke I made in high school, thinking I was being clever. A fellow student who was from the country that I'd joked about took it badly, and I didn't do the best job of apologizing (being sixteen and very sure that my joke hadn't been offensive, because I wouldn't have been offended if someone made it about my own country). She finally looked at me and said, "I feel sorry for you." My toes still curl with embarrassment over that, not only because there is a person out there who always and forever will think I'm a horrible, racist jerk, but because she was right to think so. In that moment I was being just that.

I shudder to think what might have happened if social media had existed back then and I'd made such an asinine joke on twitter or instagram or wherever (or if someone video-ed me and posted it on theirs).

I don't know what the answer is. People should be held accountable for hurtful (or simply stupid) things they do, and free speech doesn't mean freedom from social consequences (only from government-imposed ones). But the consequences for social media gaffes go on and on. Something said in a moment of stupidity can last forever and have effects that are far worse than simply having a stranger, or even several strangers, think you're an asshole. That moment of asininity is frozen in time forever, and there's no possibility of redemption or personal evolution past that moment, at least in the eyes of those who witnessed it or see it shared ad infinitum.

How does one differentiate between a basically decent person who screwed up versus a person who is a genuine bigot, or who is really supportive of rape, child molestation, puppy kicking etc.? Internet mobs don't care. This gal is lucky. Her gaffe will probably blow over if she learns to behave in a professional manner regarding her job. She's lucky to get this second chance.

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I dunno, it's hilariously dumb and a smackdown seems necessary, losing the internship and getting dragged Extremely Online seems a bit much to me. Mob mentality had a role to play in this, as does the weird way Twitter turns many of us into cartoon characters. Medium is the message, I suppose. Also, I say lots of dumb shit both in cyber and meatspace sometimes, so my position is fundamentally sympathetic. Even if I'll never intern for NASA and never told a space legend to suck my balls.

Someone even wrote a book about it: So You've Been Publicly Shamed.

Good 'ol Jon Ronson. Required reading, IMHO.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
No, NASA dumped an intern who was fucking stupid enough not to know who Homer Hickam is, and to tell him to suck her dick and balls, in addition to the original cursing while tagging NASA in a tweet. She deserved the firing. Don't be a fucking fool is not too high a bar to hit, imo.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
So basically NASA dumped new talent over a harmless word?

I don't think they'd have dumped her over the word if she'd apologized, or even just have backed off, after the initial rebuke. Instead, she doubled down and lobbed a rather personal (and anatomically impossible) insult at a NASA official.

It sounds like she's getting her position after all, though, so things are ending better for her than they do for many.

Last edited:

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
So basically NASA dumped new talent over a harmless word?

It's a bit more than rude language, surely. If she had tweeted back to Hickam -- "Yeah, sorry about that, but it's NASA, fucking NASA, and I am so happy and excited, I think her intended employer would have cut her some slack, but no -- she mouths off at Hickam himself, when he was giving her a heads up about the culture. That is what I find hard to forgive. there's young and stupid, and then there's arrogant and nasty and stupid.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Idiot wins US Presidential elections; how he did it won't shock you!

How he kept his job so far despite having done far worse than thi NASA intern should no longer shock you.

-cb

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The 24-7 nature of social media means one is never truly "in private" anymore. I'm pretty sure we've all said stupid ass things and either gotten away with it, because our audience was limited to friends and family, or we got called out, but in a private way. Maybe a handful of people think you're a horrible person.

I was on computers well before the Internet. Some of the things I said in the 1980s on internal company "bulletin boards" is now online and searchable, because that employer went kaput but someone had a copy of those boards and hosted them. I had no idea that would ever be a thing, because 1) it was a private internal bulletin board and 2) no one I knew had Arpanet access and 3) the Internet didn't exist yet.

Fortunately, I didn't say anything that I regret being public now. But I can't imagine growing up with this stuff -- Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc -- and not understanding how to moderate what you say? How does that happen? I'm not on Twitter, not on Instagram, am on Facebook but lock down who can see what I post and still am careful what I say. :Shrug:

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
This isn't a story and should never have been reported in the news at all, but now that it has been, it's naturally being reported without the full info.

Hickam is helping the woman get a job after the two connected off social media.

Almost every story on this is identical because the only news value this story has is currency. This is journalistic fast food. You report, you don't bother changing the fryer oil, you supersize the public's drink.

Don't participate in it. It encourages hit-and-run journalism and it enables publications to exploit young journalists who can produce (read: copy) content like this in a hot minute. It gets clicks, which sells ads, and you don't have to pay experienced reporters to do, y'know, actual work.

Plus, what has this woman done to deserve public scorn like she's receiving here and elsewhere? The first couple posts in this thread are laughing at her--a young person excited to get a dream job who's life just got ruined. That's funny, I guess?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, what info isn't being reported?

What she did to get public scorn was behave like an utter idiot in public.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
This isn't a story and should never have been reported in the news at all, but now that it has been, it's naturally being reported without the full info.

Hickam is helping the woman get a job after the two connected off social media.

Almost every story on this is identical because the only news value this story has is currency. This is journalistic fast food. You report, you don't bother changing the fryer oil, you supersize the public's drink.

Don't participate in it. It encourages hit-and-run journalism and it enables publications to exploit young journalists who can produce (read: copy) content like this in a hot minute. It gets clicks, which sells ads, and you don't have to pay experienced reporters to do, y'know, actual work.

Plus, what has this woman done to deserve public scorn like she's receiving here and elsewhere? The first couple posts in this thread are laughing at her--a young person excited to get a dream job who's life just got ruined. That's funny, I guess?
It's 'newsworthy' in the way that attempting a 100 foot cliff dive and bellyflopping would be, or proposing marriage on a Jumbotron and getting rejected, if the video was posted online. Flagrant disregard for social norms (basic professionalism, in this case), and/or your own dignity, that immediately and publicly explodes in your face, is going to make you a star today, and you're going to get a drubbing. It may not be pleasant or fair, but it's reality. And I don't think I'm immune to that kind of stupidity. That's why I cringe at these morality plays, and resolve to keep my social media engagement to a minimum.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
And the fact that you, and a lot of these other people defending her, think nothing of her use of the word, ESPECIALLY with regard to work, is sad.

If she lost her internship only because she used the word "fuck" on Twitter, in a non-work-related context, then I might feel sorry for her.

But when she was called on her language, her reply was "Suck my dick and balls, I'm working for NASA". I don't care how young or how excited someone is, this is rude and unprofessional. Am I supposed to be sympathetic to someone who not only doesn't recognize one of the big names in their industry, but who uses this kind of vulgarity in response?

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
TV news stations would do well to let news sources have their own words. If someone cusses, happily or angrily or whatever, why the hell are they bleeping it out of some prudish desire to censor a source's honest expression? And why are the viewers expected to be too sensitive to handle it, if indeed the story is important enough to be worth telling? Do we bleep a soldier getting shot in a war zone? Do we bleep protesters at a march? If we do, are we telling the story honestly?

Of course, those questions would require understanding of reporting techniques and a wall between church and state in the newsroom, neither of which aren't really a priority when you're copying a story off the wire service. (The reason swearing gets bleeped is advertisers, and fear of losing them.) To be clear, I have both copied stories from rival publications and cut swearing. These things happen. I understand why they happen. These are conversations that take place in newsrooms, and a while back in this sub-forum we talked a bit about the importance of fact-checking and media literacy, which are both things that derive from and rely upon ethical decisions made by journalists on a day-to-day basis. It's not a conversation the should involve gloating, or humilitating the source, or our own moral judgment about whether she violated some arbitrary principle, at least not in the context of reporting.

In this case, I have issues with slapping an inaccurate headline on the story and issues with the order of information in both the piece(s) and their ledes. These make it seem like she lost the internship because she offended Hickam. But this isn't actually true. Hickam wasn't offended. She lost the job because someone at NASA was monitoring a hashtag. A good editor would fix the headline and lede, if said editor hadn't likely been laid off a couple months ago. Instead, these stories put a catchy "she lost the job because she swore" half-truth above clarity to the reader. That's poor writing and worse reporting. If I am editing and I see something like this in a post-mortem, there is going to be considerably more profanity than features in this story. I've both given and received.

If I'm assigned this story, here's my thought process. Expletives on Twitter are commonplace. Her mistake was tagging #nasa in one. Note, though, that it's a hashtag, not @nasa, the user account. No one owns Twitter hashtags, nor would that pop in @nasa's notifications unless it was being monitored. So really, basic social media professionalism would entail knowing that hashtags aren't the same as users. People use #nasa all the time. If I want to have a profanity-filled rant about the Voyager probe (and do I!) I might well use the #nasa hashtag. You know what the story here is? That a bunch of NASA admins spend their days monitoring the #nasa hashtag for perceived offences against civility by their interns. I wonder how much they pay those interns, in exchange for complete control over what they say? Given NASA is a government agency, and thus beholden the First Amendment, I'm all of a sudden real curious how they handle political speech by employees. If I'm an enterprising reporter, I'm calling NASA here and asking what they were thinking firing some highly-qualified young engineer over a simple profanity and misunderstanding. I'm pulling their financial records to see how much money they waste on social media agencies every year compared to one intern's salary. I want to know which admin had a problem with the post and I want to know which political causes said admin donated to in the last five years. Very likely, I've already found a more newsworthy story there, but if not, I'm calling the woman (can we please stop calling her "girl"? It's demeaning), asking about her college scores, why she wants to intern for NASA, and her background so that I can include all the information a reader needs. Then I'm turning around and pitching a magazine that'll take a couple thousand words about the privilege of "professionalism" :greenie.

But piling on feels good, and sells a couple hundred words we can slap tracking ads on, so there's that. That way, when the reporters get laid off in two months, we can all feel outraged about how journalism is under threat.

If you're reading this thread, go subscribe to an independent local outlet or something. Not WaPo or the NYT--they're media empires, and they have their place, but find something doing solid, on-the-ground local reporting. There are a lot of good indie start-ups operating on an ad-free subscription-model these days, but barring that find your local daily or weekly and get it delivered every morning. It does not matter if you agree with the paper's editorial stances. Read the news section. Find one that doesn't just reprint the wire.

(A small and only semi-related addenda: a lot of these issues come up because we're confusing opinion reporting and news reporting. The stories I linked, both from reputable papers, are news stories but because they're rushed they operate on the assumption that "this was wrong, let's report that" instead of asking a factual question. The fact that she swore is reported largely without context. This isn't a news reporting process, but an opinion one, where the principle drives the question, such as it is. The distinction is important, and was part of a sticky AW Admin put up a couple weeks ago. If I'm writing a column about this, I might decide the intern was unprofessional, and use her lack of professionalism to make a larger point about professionalism in broader culture--the larger point is important because a good column isn't about attacking some random stranger but about using an event to make a considered and valuable comment. That thought process does involve a moral and/or cultural starting point, because a column is commentary, and should be identified as such. And part of a good columnist's job is getting the readership riled up, so I might go with a head like "Twitter's Potty-Mouthing Has No Place at NASA". That makes my position clear and makes the commentary clear. With a news story, that position has no place in my reporting. There is no thesis, no judgment. I can think what I will of NASA and the woman involved--I think it's a gaffe, in fact--but my line of inquiry has to consider her role in the story, NASA's, and so on. What happened? How, and in what order? Why does it matter? Those questions each take me to a slightly different answer. No answer is 100% objective, and my line of questioning would reveal bias, but it's my and my editor's job to structure and revise the story meticulously so that the story doesn't take the position as pre-supposed.

It's a tricky process, and not one I was ever especially good at, which is why I prefer writing fiction to writing journalism. It's a myth that journalism is objective, but it's equally a myth that all news reporting has to represent a position. The process is different with a news story. They are not commentary. They do not start from a moral position.

In the world of online news, there is considerable blurring of the line between news reporting and opinion writing, so that definitions AW Admin gave arguably don't even apply. The danger, particularly when you get one writer doing both in a bare-bones newsroom or even freelance, is that you lose that vetting/self-analyzing process that I was always terrible at. But in the process, you lose the actual practice of inquiry that makes reporting function. You can't just evaluate a news story by whether you agree with it. You have to look at what information it provides, and extrapolate the line of questioning to figure out what was and wasn't asked. Experienced reporters--there are too few these days--are really, really good at letting the reader know this, which is why you get "so-and-so refused to comment for this story". They show their work.

As readers, expect better of journalists. Be informed consumers of news.)