Website
www.alessandrakelley.com

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Wow, that was surprisingly fast after they announced he was gonna stop treatment. RIP. He wasn't the best person, but sometimes he tried, and that counts for something.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
A true hero, his impact and leadership will long be remembered. Condolences and prayers to his entire family.

Redredrose

Registered
Reaction score
Sad to hear the news. He was a man I largely disagreed with politically, but then I'd hear the stories like how, for eight long years at least once a month, he'd drive out to sit quietly for hours with his old friend and left-wing political opponent, the ailing Senator Mo Udall. John McCain did this act of friendship under the radar. No one knew about it for years. Everyone had pretty much forgotten Mo Udall.

There aren't many people, on the left or the right, who had his decency and courage.

rainbowsheeps

Registered
Reaction score
He was a complicated man who sometimes gleamed with a bright light of dignity and kindness, and other times seemed mired in the dirty and seedy underside of career politics. I think he was off-base on a lot of things politically, but he often seemed to be a man of principal while working in a governmental body that very often lacked the same. It's disheartening to think that many of his colleagues in Congress don't have the same level of decency as he showed in certain situations - like telling one of his supporters that Barrack Obama was not "a Muslim" that can't be trusted, even though he was running a dogged campaign against the man to become President. When he was on the right side, he often seemed really right, and other times... well, it's complicated. I feel for his family though.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

We'll chant for him. I never voted for him (and I wouldn't have even if we'd lived in AZ), but I'm impressed by his decency and his strength to go beyond the horrors he faced and his willingness to skip us/them thinking to do the right thing (and I don't mean the right wing thing). I wish there were more like him on both sides of the partisan line.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
RIP. I didn't agree with him on much politically, but he was probably the last of the old-style GOP-ers (who could still collaborate with and respect members of the other party), and one of the few who dared to express dislike for Trump and his policies. I was sad to hear he had brain cancer. That's a horrible disease, but he faced it with dignity and courage.

Last edited:

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
John McCain was a hero. Not one of my personal heroes, but a man whom enjoyed politically sparring with Dems and members of his own party as well as engaging America's enemy during Viet Nam.

I wasn't a fan of McCain's hawkish, militaristic, reliably conservative Republican policies, but his stances for bipartisanship, standing against waterboarding and torture deserved respect and more made John McCain a man of respect. You don't have to agree with the man to respect the man and I would bet everything I own he did not care even one little bit if a twerp like Donald Trump didn't respect him.
A fighter. A maverick. The conscience of the Senate.

Former colleagues of Sen. John McCain paid tribute to the Arizona Republican’s life and service to the country on Sunday, hailing him as a principled and independent voice that will be sorely missed at a time of bitter division in Washington.

The White House lowered flags to half-staff in honor of McCain, who after a battle with brain cancer.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and congressional leaders of both parties announced Sunday that McCain will lie in state in the Capitol Rotunda. McConnell called McCain “a great American patriot, a statesman who put his country first and enriched this institution through many years of service.”

McCain will lie in state at the Arizona Capitol on Wednesday, on what would have been his 82nd birthday, Gov. Doug Ducey (R) said.

McCain’s office has not released a full outline of his memorial services, but friends and advisers have said they expect that there will be services in Phoenix and then Washington, followed by a private burial at the cemetery on the grounds of the Naval Academy in Annapolis.

In his book “The Restless Wave,” which was published in May, McCain said he would be buried close to his classmate Charles R. Larson, the late admiral who led U.S. Pacific Command and later served as superintendent of the Naval Academy.

President Trump to McCain’s family in a Saturday night tweet. But the president, who since as far back as 1999, offered no words on McCain himself.

“My deepest sympathies and respect go out to the family of Senator John McCain. Our hearts and prayers are with you!” Trump said.

Trump made no mention of McCain in his Sunday morning tweets, reposting previous tweets on the economy, former secretary of state Hillary Clinton’s emails and the special counsel investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election. The president then left the White House for golf at his Virginia course.

The hell with him. You don't need a spoiled rick prick like Trump, Johnny Mac. He talks about patriotism. You lived patriotism. You didn't serve Donald Trump. You served America.

A man of respect does not have to extend any to a man who has no understanding of the word.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Echoing the others have said, I often disagreed with him, but I have so much respect for the courage and strength he showed in life. What he endured as a POW, passing on his chance to go home when he could have, his willingness to cross the aisle and work with the other side--his qualities of leadership will be missed. Now more than ever.

I look forward to listening to Obama's eulogy of him.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
He was a true hero. Any one of us would have come back broken after years being tortured as a prisoner. He had a strength of character we just don't see these days. As everyone here has said, I didn't agree with his politics, but I respect him as a man with dignity and strength. I think our country was better with him in it.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
On one hand, we have John McCain, who didn't use his father's name to get out of a POW camp.
On the other, we have Donald Trump, who used his 'bone spurs' to get out of serving his country at all.
And Trump had the gall to sneer at McCain for being a 'loser' for getting captured.
Trump - flying the flag high, and showing his true colours.

God rest you, Mr. McCain, and grant you peace.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
After McCain got his posthumous revenge on Ol' Bone Spurs by pointedly NOT inviting him to the funeral, but instead, pointedly, inviting George W. Bush and Barack Obama, Bone Spurs (hereafter in my posts to be known by the initials BS) went golfing at one of his clubs while the memorial service and internment of McCain was going on in D.C. That will certainly teach McCain a lesson for not inviting him to the funeral.

Does anyone here imagine that if BS had been invited to the funeral, he wouldn't have instantly turned the event into a praisefest for his own self?

caw

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Does anyone here imagine that if BS had been invited to the funeral, he wouldn't have instantly turned the event into a praisefest for his own self?

caw
Trump would not have been able to stand a bit part while Obama, Bush, and Meghan took center stage. He wouldn't have gone.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
A bit part? The reason for not going, aside from not being the star attraction, would be so that Meghan McCain couldn't tell him off to his face. All the Secret Service men around couldn't stop a grieving daughter with a bone to pick.

Also, regarding 'a bit part': I believe it was said of Teddy Roosevelt (by his daughter) that he "[FONT=&quot] always wanted to be the corpse at every funeral, the bride at every wedding and the baby at every christening".
Of course, Alice Roosevelt Longworth was no shy, retiring daughter herself.[/FONT]
;)

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Possibly not. But he damn sure is pissed that he wasn't invited, so he would have the chance to make a big deal out of turning it down.

caw
Possibly not? Can you seriously imagine Trump giving a eulogy to McCain that came across as out-shining Obama? Trump is on a rampage undoing everything Obama accomplished, he can't afford to be humiliated by Obama again. I picture people turning their backs on Trump and giving Obama a standing ovation. (I suppose they wouldn't clap at a funeral.)

Jolly-Boo

Please, call me Boo
Registered
Reaction score
I think it was as recent as this year that I remember seeing all formers president gathered together for some charity or educational reason. I cannot for the life of me imagine Trump ever being invited to those kind of engagements.

Not to be morbid but this got me thinking of Trump's funeral. Besides the obvious suspects, who would attend? I assume past president are obliged to attend, but it's just so awkward.

I would laugh my ass off if Trump's funeral arrangements said, "No Crooked Hillary!" The opposite would be even funnier, have her do a speech.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Trump's funerals will be streamed on the net. It will thus have the largest attendance of any President. Period!

-cb

Last edited: