How long should an R&R take?

Tarley

i was normal 6 dogs ago
Registered
Reaction score
I hope this isn't a stupid question and maybe the answer is 'as long as it takes'...but how long is reasonable to work on an R&R? From the notes this agent sent me, I'm thinking it's going to take me at least 6 months or even longer to revise my novel. Obviously she's interested and I want to stay on her radar, but it worries me about taking too long and getting written off. Any advice from someone who's been through this would be really appreciated. :)

~Tarley

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I hope this isn't a stupid question and maybe the answer is 'as long as it takes'...but how long is reasonable to work on an R&R? From the notes this agent sent me, I'm thinking it's going to take me at least 6 months or even longer to revise my novel. Obviously she's interested and I want to stay on her radar, but it worries me about taking too long and getting written off. Any advice from someone who's been through this would be really appreciated. :)

~Tarley

Ask her.

My R&R took about six months, and then another month for her to get back to me. I sent her updates as I went, and she sent notes telling me I was on an acceptable track.

Discuss the schedule up front, and stick to it (or send email if you're going to miss a date). If she loses interest after you've agreed on a timeframe, you didn't want to work with her anyway.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It's as long as it takes.

It will depend on what's asked of you and how fast of a writer/reviser you are. Obviously every set of notes and every author will be different and even with the same author, circumstances might make it take longer at one point in their life and less time at another point.

The same editor gave me 2 sets of R&R notes. The first took a month. The second took 4 months. In true author fashion, I was worried I spent too short a time on the first set, and too long on the 2nd set ;) but I believe now that I spent the right amount of time/work on each. I also gave myself a 4-day retreat to boost myself through the hardest part of the 2nd set, and without that, I probably would've taken a few more months on it. I also was in a job where I had a lot of writing time on the job, so I was able to work on it more than others might. OTOH, I stressed about whether to even do the 2nd set for a month, so that added to the time it actually took, lol

I think it's a good idea to check in with her and make sure you're on the right track. It keeps your novel in her mind and also makes sure that you're not going off in a direction she didn't want (which I also have done in an R&R, lol)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
When I was a soldier in Vietnam, "R&R" stood for "Rest and Relaxation", a week-long leave you were granted once a year. You really wanted that to last forever.

caw

Davy The First

Registered
Reaction score

~Tarley
Unless your novel theme is incredibly current and dependent of current events, it wont get written off. Your agent wants to sell something worthwhile and salable - meaning, at its best.