Hemingway app

Summer89

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I have no idea if this is the right place to ask your opinion on this app or if there is a thread for this somewhere. Has anyone used this and did you like it, find it usefull? As my native language not being English, i do find this somewhat usefull. It gives me ideas how to change my sentences to be more readable. "Grades" my writing and gives hint to where i am going wrong. Does anyone have some better apps for syntax and grammar?

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
I didn't like it at all. It doesn't like complex clauses at all, and it doesn't pick up all grammatical errors. Nor is there a language app that lets me know if I'm using the correct regional words.

B.D. Eyeslie

Registered
Reaction score
Where the dirty water has all been cleaned--Boston
Okay, I guess I didn't understand the thread. My first thought was: Oh boy, here's the app for me. It will take my drivel, put it into Hemingway phrases, clauses, sentences, etc., and I can start making some real money. Turns out, just one more disappointment. Oh well, back to work. :)

Summer89

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I guess I didn't understand the thread. My first thought was: Oh boy, here's the app for me. It will take my drivel, put it into Hemingway phrases, clauses, sentences, etc., and I can start making some real money. Turns out, just one more disappointment. Oh well, back to work. :)

:roll: nothing comes that easy

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Meh, not really that helpful - it wound up in the MISC stuff box right next to the Faulkner Stream O' Consciousness app . . . :tongue

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
I don't use the actual app, but the desktop version. All I use it for is to look for "very difficult" sentences and to give me a different perspective on a scene. The format is clean and doesn't use too much bandwidth. It's one of my favorite places to drop a scene while editing. However, I'm native English user who is confident playing around with sentences.

For checking syntax and grammar, I think you'd benefit more from using ProWritingAid.

Summer89

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you aspirit. I did ask if someone knew better apps or site's so I could become better at my writing, you gave me a first answer. I need to check that ProWritingAid out :)

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know that any site or app will make you a better writer. That's like saying you can become a better golfer by playing a video game. Or you can become a better guitar player by watching someone else play guitar.

You only become better at something by doing it, learning what's wrong and doing it over again, and again, and again, until someone finally says "hey, that's good!"

Practice, practice practice!

If you get tired of writing or feel like you are not learning, try reading, or critiquing others!

There is an entire sub-forum here for specifically that purpose...

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
The military uses video games to train soldiers. Police officers does the same for officers. More relevant to this conversation, schools from preschool through college use software to help with student instruction. I don't see anything wrong with this, as it works.

Summer89, use whatever tools help you. Of course you can practice offline, workshop your stories, and experiment with editing software such as ProWritingAid at the same time. Don't worry that writers follow different processes.