Why would an alien speak English?

godzillachild

Registered
Reaction score
Okay so I have this story and there's aliens, and everyone speaks English. I don't really have a problem with that, because the other MC is a human from the USA, but I realized two seconds ago that I have no reasonable explination for why these aliens all use English as a common language, especially because in this story humans never got around to space travel. Does anyone have any ideas how this could be possible?

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
Because - science!

I'm kidding. Kind of. Anyway, I wouldn't spend too much time on that. It would help to know a little more about your world. Are the aliens coming to Earth? In that case, they studied us for years in advance of their arrival and learned English from watching Star Wars (true story, a dear friend of mine learned English this way). Is the Earthling headed out into space? Maybe the aliens are so advanced they can translate based on a short sample and piece together the language. Perhaps some kind of technology implanted in their brains. Do they have a hive mind? They could solve the language puzzle so much faster that way and all be speaking it in no time.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
If they're speaking amongst themselves, it's an author translation of whatever alien language they speak. No dramas. If they're speaking actual English to humans, they've either got good translator technology or they're quick learners.

OldHat63

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Lost in the woods of TN and prefer it that way
Implanted translator tech that "auto-corrects" their speech and language in the appropriate areas of their brain? Sort of a mechanical version of what happens in John Carter of Mars series?
Or you could even go the whole biological rout with some sort of ingestible doing the trick.

OldHat63

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Lost in the woods of TN and prefer it that way
Translator microbes or a babel fish.

Yeah, the biologics are usually more reliable that the electronics... One of my characters got involved in quite a bit of trouble due to translator failure.

Either can be a helpful plot device though... either by working in an unpredictable and glitchy manner, or being a little too reliable.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
I can't really help with ideas--with all due respect, it's your book--but often the easiest way to deal with this kind of thing is just to not mention.

You control what information trickles into the narrative. If language isn't especially relevant to the story, just don't mention it. Don't draw attention to something that's only going to end up looking contrived.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
but often the easiest way to deal with this kind of thing is just to not mention.

I agree. In my story aliens haven't made contact with humans. But everyone speaks English, even the creators of the universe. I say don't worry about it.

yumpty-tum

Registered
Reaction score
It's the Tardis translation matrix :tongue

Seriously though, any civilisation advanced enough for interstellar travel probably is probably a bit beyond Google translate in terms of crossing linguistic barriers. They'd speak English coz they can and the poor primitive American can't speak Alienese. I don't really see the need to explain it in-story though, trying to create a feasible-sounding technological (or bio-technological or whatever) explanation will be more trouble than it's worth.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If they're speaking amongst themselves, it's an author translation of whatever alien language they speak. No dramas. If they're speaking actual English to humans, they've either got good translator technology or they're quick learners.

Or they’ve been covertly studying us for a long time.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Public service ad:

Does anyone you know talk like this?

“Like, far out, man! That is so rad!”

They might be... Invaders From Another World! Or an old hippy. Either way, be safe! Report them to your neighborhood Alien Watch.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
*has the idea that you can identify the aliens from Alpha Centauri because they're always talking in eight year old memes*

This would certainly explain people that actually says "Lawl" in real world conversations when they are amused.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Okay so I have this story and there's aliens, and everyone speaks English. I don't really have a problem with that, because the other MC is a human from the USA, but I realized two seconds ago that I have no reasonable explination for why these aliens all use English as a common language, especially because in this story humans never got around to space travel. Does anyone have any ideas how this could be possible?
They haven't been watching us from afar and listening to our radio broadcasts? Or walking among us in human guise and gathering knowledge? Taking us up to their ship and probing us?

If they landed in France I'd expect them to speak fluent French; in China, fluent Cantonese and Mandarin; in Brazil, fluent Portuguese, etc. It just happens your MC speaks English so they are politely speaking English.

-Derek

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Someone needs to write a short about aliens coming to Earth to demand an explanation for the convoluted mess that is the modern English language.
And by the time they leave, the English language has stolen many of their words and concepts. :evil It's very efficient that way.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Also, maybe your aliens have learned English from eavesdropping on transmissions, etc., and this is their first chance to practice on a live English-speaking human being. A chance to update their usage, get the subtext, etc.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Also, maybe your aliens have learned English from eavesdropping on transmissions, etc., and this is their first chance to practice on a live English-speaking human being. A chance to update their usage, get the subtext, etc.
I worry that the first earthling they encounter will be an Australian tradie or truck driver on the side of a lonely outback road somewhere, and their subsequent communications will all be, um, colourfully seasoned.

PEOPLE OF EARTH, ATTENTION PLEASE, YA C**TS.

Mike Rousseau

Wordsmith and Defenestrator
Registered
Reaction score
Some fun things to think about:

Most ESL speakers learn the language from media. There's that old trope of learning how to speak by watching cartoons and reading comics, giving the character a pretty wacky vocabulary and syntax. You can go with that.

You could have the aliens studying, and believing they've mastered, English. But we all know English makes zero sense. It's full of contradictory rules. Depending on the style of your aliens, a haughty "I follow logic and understand all rules" type ET would THINK they understand it, and would refer to deer plural as "deers" and argue about it because that's what makes sense given the "rules" of English.

The universal translator trope is a trope, but a useful one. Depending on where the focus of your story is, you may WANT to focus on the language barrier. If you just need to get past it to get to the actual plot, you can use the nanites/microbes/braincomputer/telepathic power trope that lets people understand each other so you can get on to the meat. I think deciding if you want to make this a part of the human/alien interactions, or whether you can do without it, will help inform your decision.

Princess Of Needles

wants to poke all the shiny things
Registered
Reaction score
Some fun things to think about:

Most ESL speakers learn the language from media. There's that old trope of learning how to speak by watching cartoons and reading comics, giving the character a pretty wacky vocabulary and syntax. You can go with that.

You could have the aliens studying, and believing they've mastered, English. But we all know English makes zero sense. It's full of contradictory rules. Depending on the style of your aliens, a haughty "I follow logic and understand all rules" type ET would THINK they understand it, and would refer to deer plural as "deers" and argue about it because that's what makes sense given the "rules" of English.

The universal translator trope is a trope, but a useful one. Depending on where the focus of your story is, you may WANT to focus on the language barrier. If you just need to get past it to get to the actual plot, you can use the nanites/microbes/braincomputer/telepathic power trope that lets people understand each other so you can get on to the meat. I think deciding if you want to make this a part of the human/alien interactions, or whether you can do without it, will help inform your decision.

What if these aliens studied English based on old-fashioned texts, so they all speak Shakespearean?

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
I think it would be reasonable for the aliens to study humans, including their language, or at least one language, before exploring. It's the same way we learn all we can about sharks or snakes before we walk into a pit full of them. The aliens need to know when they're being threatened verses welcomed...if that's for your story at all, that is.