The Australian Spontaneous Politician Combustion thread

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Geez, people. I leave the country for a couple of weeks and come back to two libspills, an evangelical and uncharismatic Christian as PM, and Quadbike in a fight to the death with Adolf Kipfler.

I should go overseas more often.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Well, holy crap is the Wentworth by-election an absolute shellacking. Yoiks.

I don't think I've ever seen Antony Green call a result so fast.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Did Antony say it was the biggest swing ever? I was stuck into the wine by then, so might have misheard.

Yep. Biggest swing by quite a margin (at least, it was at the end of counting last night. Not sure where it'll end up when all's finished).

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Go, Victoria! Enjoy the taste of democracy.

https://www.democracysausage.org/

There was a weird number of articles yesterday afternoon analysing how the LNP lost this election, which given the election is, yanno, today ... struck me as rather counting-chickens-before-they-hatch-esque.

Having said that, if the polling etc is correct and Andrews romps it in, I can safely say the LNP lost this election the moment they made Matthew Guy their leader.

And now, I am off to vote. I will try to avoid the wafty temptations of democracy sausages though. :D

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Onya, Be Frank! Mind the onions underfoot.

What's wrong with Taz?

Platypus eggs, no sausage?

I admit I have no clue what I'm talking about. :(

It's the Victorian state election, so no other states are involved. The symbols represent polling booths where you can get a snag sanger and/or cakes. The food is usually provided by local schools and charities as fund raisers, and the state and federal electoral commissions support the activity.

Unfortunately, the Democracy Sausage map relies on people reporting what's available, so it's not exhaustive. I'd imagine that most, if not all, of the booths have food and non-alcoholic beverages available.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds rather like what was described on one of the 'Election Day in America' threads:
festive, food, etc.
Only in the olden days in the U.S., apparently alcohol was available. I presume the snacks were provided by the alcohol vendors, because when the alcohol was forbidden, everything else vanished as well.
Now all they provide is little stickers proudly announcing 'I voted'. Which is not a patch on a sausage sandwich.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
We do a good voting day here.

We really do. We can't keep a PM for their full term to save ourselves, but voting is one thing we have right. Thank heavens for the apolitical AEC.

After watching the mess of the US midterms, I'm so grateful for how easy/unfussed voting is here. There's a dozen polling places within walking distance of our house (every scout hall, school, church etc is in use today). We went down and there was no queue. The 30-odd "how to vote" people were all chatting amicably amongst themselves (from snippets overhead, mostly about how good the sausages smelled. I assume the Animal Liberation Party were not joining in that particular convo, though).

Now to wait for the results to start rolling in at 6pm. Antony Green should be getting warmed up soon.

Last edited:

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Ayup. Wonder what their spin will be. How much will they try to blame on their federal shenanigans etc.

God, I'm so glad their blatant scare tactics didn't work.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
:hooray:
I thought it might be fun to watch Sky News, but it wasn't. Was fun to watch Kennett on 7 for a wee while though.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I'm watching ABC News. The pollies are quite well-behaved. Just a moment ago, the Libs were excited at the prospect of retaining Bayswater.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
:hooray:
I thought it might be fun to watch Sky News, but it wasn't. Was fun to watch Kennett on 7 for a wee while though.

Ajaye. Mate. Sky News is not fun to watch, ever. Mr BF is insisting we watch Jumanji, having no interest in election anythings. I'm flipping in the ad breaks to the ABC, just watching the Labor seats jumping up every time. :)

I'm watching ABC News. The pollies are quite well-behaved. Just a moment ago, the Libs were excited at the prospect of retaining Bayswater.

Looks like they're about to lose Hawthorn for the first time since 1955. Though to a "John Kennedy", so that seems apt.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I flicked onto Sky for one sec and got Alan Jones talking gangs.