The Australian Spontaneous Politician Combustion thread

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my god, they're at it again! Leadership spill today. Turnbull certain to quit as PM and possibly do a runner from parliament, leaving his own party without a majority. A leadership battle between, right, right, and fascist potato. The leading candidate possibly constitutionally ineligible to serve. No-one willing to pull the trigger.

Who will win the game of musical prime minister chairs? Who gets the privilege of piloting this clown car right on into the climate change energy price property bubble ravine? Stay tuned!

All normal! Nothing to see here.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
It seems the solicitor general's advice on Dutton's constitutional eligibility to serve (paraphrasing somewhat) is "probably, yes, maybe? I dunno, LOL". Which is surely a strong position to be in two hours before your leadership bid for the world's 12th largest economy.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Turnbull has now said "I'm going to leave parliament and trigger a by-election if you people install Dutton. If it's Morrison or Bishop, I'll stay."

Nothing more prime ministerial than a hissy fit. (Mind you, anything to keep Dutton out is fine by me.)

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Oh, and that initial release of what the Solicitor General said ("Dutton's not ineligible") came, of course, via Sky News. The full text is somewhat less pro-Dutton. Bolding mine, coz I think that line says a lot about those jumping on the "the SG says Dutton's in the clear" mob.

Solicitor General said:
First, the facts concerning Mr Dutton are unlike those that have previously been assessed against s 44(v). Second, as I note below, there may be further facts of which I am presently unaware. Third, there is a significant division of opinion on the High Court as to key questions concerning the legal operation of s 44(v), which creates some difficulty in predicting the manner in which the Court would analyse the facts."

<snip>

"The operation of s 44(v) is highly fact dependent. However, for a variety of reasons, I have been briefed with very little factual information."

"...I provide my opinion on the basis of my present understanding of the facts, as set out immediately below. If the facts turn out to be materially different to those stated, my opinion will need to be revisited."

Basically, "I'm just guessing here, because I don't have all the info or enough info to make a better call. The High Court could well decide differently."

Last edited:

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Talk about going under... |8-}

-cb

Last edited:

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
What I love the most is how Dutton's dodgy eligibility only mattered when Turnbull could use it as a wedge against him.

I'm constantly boggled by the blatancy of this govt's corruption.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just here for the popcorn.

ETA: Sinodinos, but... gutsy travelling, classy move.

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, hopefully all that buttery salty goodness will go straight to my arteries and I can check out gracefully before Dutton's Australia comes to pass.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Scott Morrison's the new PM.

Votes went 45-40 Morrison over Dutton, after Julie Bishop was knocked out of contention.

Turnbull has decided to resign from parliament and trigger a by-election in his seat. Bishop didn't put her name forward for deputy, so that's about to be decided.

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Julie Bishop's knocked out, to noone's surprise (I think they suspected she might be a woman) and her eternal relief, I'm sure. So it's come to this. If you told me in 2017 I'd be praying for a ScoMo prime ministership in a year's time ... I would have said 'yep, that sounds about right for this decade so far'.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Hooray! 7th PM in a decade! dEmOcRaCy!

There are 30 years olds here who've never voted in an election where a PM saw out their term.

ETA: Apparently Josh Frydenberg overwhelmingly won the deputy slot.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are 30 years olds here who've never voted in an election where a PM saw out their term.

ETA: Apparently Josh Frydenberg overwhelmingly won the deputy slot.
So now you've got two privileged white men cleaning up the mess. That'll go well...

ETA: and the ACL is already congratulating itself because #answeredprayers

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
So now you've got two privileged white men cleaning up the mess. That'll go well...

ETA: and the ACL is already congratulating itself because #answeredprayers
Well, they've got a team of a Jew and someone who causes little children to suffer, so that's basically Jesus in charge, right?

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Well, they've got a team of a Jew and someone who causes little children to suffer, so that's basically Jesus in charge, right?

I don't want to laugh at that, and yet :ROFL:

Jeepers, Truffle's parting press conference. Putting aside the laughable declaration that he'd run a "progressive" government, he carefully explained how "keeping Australia safe" was "obviously" the biggest priority of any government ... then named Christopher Pyne and Marise Payne as the people responsible for doing that during his time as PM ... very noticeably not mentioning Dutton (the home affairs/border security minister) ... until he started talking about "not rewarding wreckers like Dutton and Abbott."

Wow.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I mean, they might be interpreting the wording of Mat 19:14 slightly wrong re: the merits of making children suffer, but I'm no biblical scholar.

ScoMo beat Dutton by an even smaller margin than Turnbull. How long till the tuberous one launches a third challenge, do you think?

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
ScoMo beat Dutton by an even smaller margin than Turnbull. How long till the tuberous one launches a third challenge, do you think?

There was word floating around (not sure how much credence to give it, coz Twitter) that Dutton's team has already declared "this fight isn't over." Time will tell, I guess.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Dear Universe,

When I wished for the President to be got rid of, I meant the one in the USA.

Sincerely,

Me

:greenie

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From Slate's explainer

ScoMo is less conservative than Dutton, and many are relieved to have narrowly avoided having as PM a man who was once caught on a hot mic joking about islander nations being destroyedby rising sea levels (although for those wishing for a Labor win at next year’s election, the Trumpian Dutton may have been preferable). But Morrison, an evangelical Christian, is still among the most conservative members of the party’s “moderates,” and his ministerial track record is equally as horrendous at Dutton’s. As immigration minister, he continued Australia’s inhumane offshore detention policy and once said that the government was wasting taxpayer dollars on funerals for Iraqi and Iranian refugees who died in a boat crash on their way to Australia. Last year, Morrison voted no on marriage equality in Parliament, even after his party had put the country through an unnecessary national poll that returned an overwhelming yes. It’s for these reasons that he emerged as a victorious compromise candidate, bridging the party’s right and hard right.

writerfrenzy

Registered
Reaction score
Scott Morrison's the new PM.

Votes went 45-40 Morrison over Dutton, after Julie Bishop was knocked out of contention.

Turnbull has decided to resign from parliament and trigger a by-election in his seat. Bishop didn't put her name forward for deputy, so that's about to be decided.

My math prof stopped us in a middle of a quiz to tell us that :roll: