I just got asked about terms

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
I've been self-publishing for several years now, to no real success.

Now through a quirk of fate a short story of mine has gained some attention in Romania, and the magazine editor is attempting to set me up with publishers in his homeland. It's still way, way too early for any kind of celebration, but he asked me what my terms would be for a Romanian paperback release of my four-novel series. I had no reply, as I'm not involved with the publishing industry, and I really wasn't expecting even a slim chance to happen any time soon.

Isn't there some relatively standard deal an author can ask for? I'll be happy to just get "standard".

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
No, there is no standard deal. What you do is get the publishing contract and if you have no experience with contracts nor an agent, you get a literary attorney to look over it. If you can't do that then you can join a writers organization, pay a membership fee and get help that way. Most organizations will do contract reads for their members. Other than that, I don't know. You can see if some lawyer or an agent here at AW or another publishing expert who knows contracts is willing to look it over. You can also contact Victoria Strauss.

I don't know who you can contact about Romanian law or whatever. I'm just going by US options that are available for all authors.

As for publishers, if this editor is experienced they should not be asking you for terms. Publishers set the terms. It doesn't matter what the writer thinks. This sounds off to me but I don't know...good luck. I guess. Be careful that this isn't some kickback operation where this editor is paid to deliver unsuspecting writers to dodgy publishers.

Also, you ARE involved in the publishing industry if you are publishing books. Doesn't matter if you self-publish or not. I'd suggest doing some research on how publishing works because whether you are indie or not you need to know how the industry operates so you won't be taken advantage of. Being as knowledgeable as you can about the field you're in can go a long, long way. I did years or research on self-publishing when I was back with publishers still. If you've been publishing books several years you should already be familiar with the basics such as it's weird someone is asking you about terms when the publisher sets terms.

I'm not trying to be harsh but I am afraid someone will take advantage of you at this point.

Last edited:

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
As for publishers, if this editor is experienced they should not be asking you for terms. Publishers set the terms. It doesn't matter what the writer thinks. This sounds off to me but I don't know...good luck. I guess. Be careful that this isn't some kickback operation where this editor is paid to deliver unsuspecting writers to dodgy publishers.

Well, he's trying to put me in contact with publishers, and I guess he wanted to be able to tell them where I stand. Or some such.

I'd suggest doing some research on how publishing works because whether you are indie or not you need to know how the industry operates so you won't be taken advantage of. Being as knowledgeable as you can about the field you're in can go a long, long way. I did years or research on self-publishing when I was back with publishers still. If you've been publishing books several years you should already be familiar with the basics such as it's weird someone is asking you about terms when the publisher sets terms.

I'm autistic, single-minded and unsocial. I also find online interactions more involved than posting the odd forum question equal parts daunting and dreary. Hence my general ignorance, and I admit to it freely. But I suppose I will have to at least try to do something about that. Any pointers on how to educate myself?

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score
You're online. This is the perfect place to research. Also, I am not social myself but if you expect to get somewhere in any industry you have to make an effort to learn about it. You need to know how things work if you want to further your career. Also, this person is putting the cart before the horse. He shouldn't even be mentioning terms if you haven't even gotten anyone to look at your work yet. But as I said, it doesn't matter what terms you want. It's up to the publisher and no publisher would talk terms until they give you a contract.

But yeah, Google is a great place to educate yourself as well as this very forum.

Good luck!

Elenitsa

writing as Marina Costa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
caribbeandawn1720.jcink.net
I am from Romania. We have no literary agents here and some of the English language market established things don't apply here. And I have heard that some more famous writers come with their terms into the contract with the publisher, too. For you, who'll receive a draft contract in English, I recommend a lawyer to look at it. I wish you good luck!

Are they publishing you in English or a translation in Romanian?

cool pop

Registered
Reaction score
I am from Romania. We have no literary agents here and some of the English language market established things don't apply here. And I have heard that some more famous writers come with their terms into the contract with the publisher, too. For you, who'll receive a draft contract in English, I recommend a lawyer to look at it. I wish you good luck!

Are they publishing you in English or a translation in Romanian?

Yeah, I forgot about famous writers. It's the same in the US only certain writers who are big time can negotiate terms. The OP isn't famous so the fact that someone asked his opinion about terms seemed weird. Good you weighed in so the OP knows what to look for. Not sure anyone else here would be able to help. I have no idea if there are other writers on here from Romania.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
Ok, so make sure you only offer them Romanian language translation rights - you could lose World English if you're not careful, which will effectively kill your series. Ask if they're offering an advance (doubtful, but if you don't ask you don't get) and be sure they're clear on royalty percentages and payment schedule. Get everything in writing, and get it looked at by someone who understands publishing contracts. I'm not sure if the UK's Society of Authors takes applications from outside the UK, but find out and join if possible - if so, they do free contract vetting for members.

Good luck!

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
you might also be able to get an agent once you have an offer in hand, to look through the contract if nothing else.

also, efreysson... if you're still querying, my agent is specifically looking for autistic SFF writers. I'm the second autistic writer she's signed this year.

https://twitter.com/NaomisLitPix/status/1034450742059257857

Elenitsa

writing as Marina Costa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
caribbeandawn1720.jcink.net
Ok, so make sure you only offer them Romanian language translation rights - you could lose World English if you're not careful, which will effectively kill your series. Ask if they're offering an advance (doubtful, but if you don't ask you don't get) and be sure they're clear on royalty percentages and payment schedule. Get everything in writing, and get it looked at by someone who understands publishing contracts. I'm not sure if the UK's Society of Authors takes applications from outside the UK, but find out and join if possible - if so, they do free contract vetting for members.

Good luck!

I doubt he'll receive an advance, but it doesn't harm asking. The royalty percentages will be in writing for sure. Hopefully the payment schedule too (at least theoretically - I heard from those who receive royalties on our market that the actual payment is small and rather chaotic, depending on sales volume). I am independently published and I don't get royalties, but I heard from those who do.