The vape pen is not mightier than the sword.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
California Congressional representative Duncan Hunter has been indicted and an arrest warrant has gone out for him and his wife. This has all to do with the his grifting of his campaign for his extravagant personal living expenses.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/21/politics/duncan-hunter-campaign-charges/index.html

Hunter was also the second Republican representative to endorse Trump for his presidential candidacy. The first was New York representative Collins who has also been indicted for insider trading.

For those who don't get the reference in the thread title, Hunter is the congressman who would sit in hearings puffing on his vape and blowing vape into his usually female counterparts' faces.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
(For those with Twitter. https://twitter.com/comeonandfarce/status/1032035615041146880)

I saw this vape thing today for the first time and it pretty much fits with the rest of his apparent personality. What a douche.

According to the charging papers, he also overdrew his bank account an average of 3 times per week for 7 years, paying $37,000+ in fees, and had 5 credit cards maxed to 5 figures and incurred $25K in late/over limit/finance charges and interest on those. Guy's one of the people with the "power of the purse." It's no wonder they don't give a crap about giving away money they can't budget for. :e2smack:

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like he'd fit right in with Pruitt and the rest of Trump's cronies. Maybe Trump will have a job for him in the future.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
The thing I'll say about SoCal Republicans is that they're all fairly colorful (says someone who was represented by Dana Rohrabacher at one point).

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
(For those with Twitter. https://twitter.com/comeonandfarce/status/1032035615041146880)

I saw this vape thing today for the first time and it pretty much fits with the rest of his apparent personality. What a douche.

According to the charging papers, he also overdrew his bank account an average of 3 times per week for 7 years, paying $37,000+ in fees, and had 5 credit cards maxed to 5 figures and incurred $25K in late/over limit/finance charges and interest on those. Guy's one of the people with the "power of the purse." It's no wonder they don't give a crap about giving away money they can't budget for. :e2smack:

That is insane. I mean...our credit cards are used for my husband's drywall/paint company. So the balances run high. Most times we're able to pay it off every month, but we're currently pulling ourselves out of some rougher times, during which we've been carrying a balance on those cards, and I can't stand it. I hate it.

I remember bouncing checks when I was younger and in debt thanks to my ex. It wasn't done on purpose, yet when it happened, again...I hated it. I cannot imagine just overdrawing my account as though that's the way it's supposed to work. 3 times a week? I could not handle the anxiety that would constantly induce.

I just don't understand how someone can behave that way...is it really just a feeling of entitlement?

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
When Collins, first Republican to endorse Trump, was indicted, I half-joked that I'd like to see them keep going in numeral order. I wouldn't mind seeing that continue, but there are a few I'd like to see cut the line.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Notice Trump uses money from the Trump Foundation that other people donate to for his personal expenses all the time. He apparently used the Trump Foundation money to pay Cohen back for the money that went to the two women he paid off before the election.

Here these guys are using campaign money donated by people who intended it to be used for the campaign for Hunter for personal expenses.

Sleazy.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Duncan Hunter first blamed his wife for this excess (and illegal) spending. Today he's saying "Keep my wife out of this."

This dude is just too stupid to serve in Congress, and shouild be expelled for that reason alone.

caw

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I dunno. If you get rid of all the dumb crooks, Congress only contain the really sneaky cunning ones.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I just don't understand how someone can behave that way...is it really just a feeling of entitlement?

I've suspected so for a while. People who grow up with all the money/things they need/want don't seem to get the stress about money. Bouncing one check just means they need to use a different account; doesn't even ruffle them. And credit cards are handed to them like candy, so of course they're maxed (besides you can just pay them with a check!). They really seem conditioned to think that if it can be bought they get to buy it, money will just magically appear, and most of the time it does.

Of course, since they come from a place that has given them that privilege, they really just can't wrap their heads around the idea that other people have limited resources and actually have to manage them.

I actually see this in my coworkers to some extent (all are from upper middle class families and none had student loans), but my sister sees it constantly with her clients (she works for a cannabis investment firm that targets UAE trust fund kids as investors) and to a much greater extent. Half the time her clients miss their investment opportunities because they were distracted by some new car/toy and the cash arrives a week late... like they have no clue that things happen on a schedule with or without them and their cash. They don't care because they'll just hand it over to the next opportunity, but she loses her investors and her income that month.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Good ol' Duncan is back in the news with a cannonball splash. There's so much awful happening, but I have to admit, seeing these hypocrites have their dirty laundered aired like this brings me an unbecoming amount of glee.

The filing Monday alleges Hunter (R-Calif.) used campaign money to fund trips, dinners and drinks with women with whom he was romantically involved — three lobbyists, a woman who worked in his congressional office and another who worked for a member of House leadership.

Here's part of his "Family Values" page on his (woefully out-of-date) website:

I support the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), which defines marriage as the legal union between one man and one woman.

One man, one woman, and five (or more) mistresses, I guess.

What a douchecanoe.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
I dunno. If you get rid of all the dumb crooks, Congress only contain the really sneaky cunning ones.

Around here candidates first have to adhere to a party, then there is some sort internal vetoing going on to select that ONE candidate that will represent the party in a particular riding; the very last stage is having the name on the ballot. Those with dubious past usually don't get far through that process. It doesn't mean they are not A-holes, but the crooks tend to get the boot early rather than late.

-cb

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
The guy running against Hunter, Ammar Campa-Najjar, is (objectively speaking) foine as hell.