Personality Theory for Deep Character Development

Status
Not open for further replies.

RolandWrites

SFF Author, Neurodiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I came across this article from 16Personalities recently and I really like it, so I wanted to share. It's about the use of the Meyers Briggs personality types to develop your characters deeply in an effort to create deep realism and provide a sort of guideline for your characters' personalities when evaluating how they might handle the situations they find themselves in. I love deep character development and often find my characters driving my plot a little, so for me, this series of articles is interesting, and I think it's a cool idea to go through the personality test for my characters and consider how I might use this as a guidepost for them in the same way I might use a character questionnaire. And I know plenty of us use those character question sheets, so maybe this is something some of you might want.

Here is part two about employing the theory. Here is part three about taking the characters beyond the boundaries of what is typical of their personality type. Here is part four about applying personality types to villains.

Do any of you already do this?

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's a thread where many people came firmly down on the side the profile is a load of crap while others came firmly down on the side of it's loaded with insight. YMMV. (Personally, I go into a book with very little background on the characters beyond names, occupations, and how they're related to one another. Something about these exercises for character creation only shows to me how easily such profiles IRL can be loaded to mean what the subject wants them to and they're a load of hooey.)

RolandWrites

SFF Author, Neurodiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I don't generally put all this character back story into the story, but I do like to build plenty of back story for them, because I enjoy deep development. It makes the rounder characters that I have all that personality and life to pull from when they get into situations. I've never used one of these tests for my character building, but I'd try it as I think it could be interesting. I don't think they're scientific per say, but fun.

Harlequin, I'm with you on that thought, but I'm in a few Facebook writing groups and have seen more than a few authors who think intense worldbuilding outside the character (setting, magic, weapons, whatever) and infodumping all that in there a la old school fantasy books or tons of plot with 1D characters is what makes a good book. :e2shrug:

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Well, some do like those kinds of books, but even then the stories are about a character. Very old school SFF features an emphasis worldbuilding and concepts but they still need stories, at least nominally, to make things happen. Even if those characters are flat, they're extant, and driving the story.

Otherwise you've not written a novel, so much as a fictional textbook about alien geography.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
This is so creepy. I just recently read those articles after seeing what personality my characters were. The villain one was fun, seeing how my characters would be evil. I think it would be helpful.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in a few Facebook writing groups and have seen more than a few authors who think intense worldbuilding outside the character (setting, magic, weapons, whatever) and infodumping all that in there a la old school fantasy books or tons of plot with 1D characters is what makes a good book.

This may come as a jolt to some folks here, but not everybody writes heroic fantasy novels.

caw

RolandWrites

SFF Author, Neurodiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I also don't write heroic fantasy novels, blacbird. I'm generally just of the opinion that characters should be 3D/fully fleshed for them to be interesting and pages full of info dumps (or what some people call purple prose) are not good. I also fully acknowledge that other people like reading those types of books and enjoy making those types of characters.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
The amount of bad advice I read on fb writing groups is eye watering.

Just today I read someone telling other writers that they dont need a professional editor for their unpublished manuscript because most agents/publishers only request the query + first few pages, and as long as they like that bit of the ms, they will sign you on and overhaul the rest.

I'll leave y'all to untangle that hot mess of wisdom on your own.

Tldr: as a default, assume most people in fb writing groups are utterly offer their rocker.

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
I just did the personality test for three of my characters and it was sooooo interesting. For myself, I felt like I had aspects of them all, but I'm not going to do one for me, LOL!

I was so completely thrilled that they came across as real people. I had no problem answering on their behalf, though some ?s took a second to reflect on what they've done, and some questions are modern, and my characters are in the 80s, so that took a sec, but all of them are good personalities for teamwork (a strong part of my series), and all of them are different. I found myself reflecting on moments involving each of them, and the predictions were eerily accurate.

I found it fun to do. I'm heading off to do some bad guys and see what that brings . . . *rubs hands together*

Thanks for the links, RolandWrites!

:)

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know every detail about my characters. They're part of the story.

But I can see why a character analysis might help expand a character for some writers.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
I've done these, too, but before this post. I just do it for fun though, not to expand my characters. So far, I'm not done with all of my characters, I have the most ENFP and ESFJ.

Davy The First

Registered
Reaction score
Whatever works - as long as it does work.

I'd like to write a really good villain someday. One I bought like and despise all at once...

ETA. The danger of personality types, is types - that is, that characters might become too predictable, too defined. But, as I say, if it works, it works.

Last edited:

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I’ve tried Meyers Briggs for character development a couple of times but it didn’t work for me. I’ve met a lot of interesting people in my life, and what works for me is to base my characters on them.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I know every detail about my characters. They're part of the story.

But I can see why a character analysis might help expand a character for some writers.
Same here, I think. Or more precisely, my characters arise out of the story. I don't know how they're going to act until they do. I've tried writing character sheets before, but the bastards always ignore them and do their own thing. But for people who do build their characters before the story, I can see how pop personality tests could be a good base for building on.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Joseph Conrad, Willa Cather, Edith Wharton, Virginia Woolf, Ernest Hemingway, John Steinbeck, William Faulkner, Flannery O'Connor . . . all creators of great characters . . . I'm pretty sure none of them used a technique like this, or ever felt they needed to.

caw

RolandWrites

SFF Author, Neurodiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Eek, ouch. Eugenics are no good. Thanks for that link. I'm always about learning the history about things, especially if there's a bad history behind something.

lpetrich

Registered
Reaction score
I'd forget about the MBTI. Using binary splits of its four dimensions is *very* crude. When one gets actual numbers, one finds a big scatter. There's also the question of how descriptive its dimensions are.

There is a better model than MBTI, but a much-less publicized one. But the professional literature is full of work with it. It's the Five Factor Model or "Big Five" model: Big Five personality traits - Wikipedia
  • Openness to experience (inventive/curious vs. consistent/cautious)
  • Conscientiousness (efficient/organized vs. easy-going/careless)
  • Extraversion (outgoing/energetic vs. solitary/reserved)
  • Agreeableness (friendly/compassionate vs. challenging/detached)
  • Neuroticism (sensitive/nervous vs. secure/confident)
There are lots of theories of subtraits of these five traits, but I won't get into them. There is also a theory of supertraits of them.

Extroversion is as in the MBTI, and three of the other traits have roughly correponding MBTI ones. Neuroticism has no counterpart in the MBTI.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've always considered the MBTI pretty useless to help character development -- way too vague and generic to provide any useful insight or guidance.

However, a tool I've occasionally found helpful at a certain stage is the self-test in The New Personality Self-Portrait. This is a bit of an odd duck -- it's based on DSM-IV, taking as its starting point the notion that personality disorders are extreme expressions of normal personality styles. It assesses personality on 14 dimensions, each one with many gradations. (A person will generally have one dominant style, but the other elements are generally also present to different degrees -- the combination and balance of elements are unique to each individual.) There's a questionnaire and scoring key in the book. (There's an online version now too, but I don't know that I would ever spend $18 to give a quiz to a fictional person... )

If you're interested, here's a bit more information about it, (that article is from a site for hermits so it focuses on the Solitary personality style) and the official site.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Be careful in relying on any pre-packaged personality matrix in the crafting of your story's characters. Aside from a predilection for subtle stereotyping, these classification indices never seem to adequately account for the possibility of change (personality and/or behavior). Don't lock a character in--that's too predictable, and boring.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I tend to break personality tests, because I don't get the same result all the time. People change over time, but not in the ten minutes between taking two different tests that are supposed to be using the same scale.

On the other side, I've met people who believe in personality tests as though they're written in stone. They list their letters everywhere and have an identity crisis if they do something that doesn't fit the profile. So I wouldn't say I'd never use the personality tests to make a character, because it's very important to some people (and therefore, would be to some characters). The thing to remember is it won't be to everyone, so it'll come across oddly if every character is the stereotype for the personality type using whatever test.

VVoltairx

Registered
Reaction score
The problem with the MBTI is that it's kind of a collection of cliches, which is not what you want your characters to be. My best characters haven't been planned, I just throw an unknown into a situation and then give them a spark of personality at random. For instance, the gravediggger in the novel I'm working on now I had no plans for. I thought he'd be a throwaway character, didn't even plan to name him. But then he came alone with these lines written in sort of a common dialect that I could hear in my head. Before I knew what was happening, he was cracking jokes and playing with my protagonist. He's turned into the villian and developed a complexity that is uniquely his own.

If I tried to type him... I'm out of practice... Definitely an I, N, T, J. But he was without a purpose after the cult he was leading was all but destroyed. So he was digging graves to avoid attention. Maybe P.

If I had tried to type him before, he would have turned out totally different and not for the better.

The best tool writers have is our subconcious. If you can tap into it, you get some wacky shit that lights up like dynamite. Might not even feel like it's coming from you.

Lone Wolf

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't used personality types to create my characters but I think a good personality theory can help us understand other people.

I was never a fan of the Meyers Briggs test because for me aspects like introversion vs extroversion changes depending on my environment and has changed dramatically throughout my life.
I prefer the Enneagram personality theory as it encompasses the changes we undergo throughout our lives so I find it more realistic. Briefly there are 9 basic types identified by their core motivation. The theory is this core motivation is with you throughout your life. You can fight against it, try to ignore it or act according to it, but either way it affects what you do, how you think and feel. Of course this core motivation isn't the only thing that makes up or influences your personality, so you can have many people/characters with the same personality type but quite difference personalities.

Eg. One of my MC is the same Enneagram type as me (a 4). Our core motivation is to be or at least see ourselves as something other than ordinary. For her that is her motivation that starts her on her story - She will go to great lengths to crave out a life for herself that is not boring and ordinary, but gives her adventure, excitement and makes her feel special. Yet she and I are very different people because we have had very different experiences.
Note that not all her actions are not arising from her core motivation because she doesn't just have one personality trait of course, so there are plenty of times when she prioritizes safety or someone else's good, or other desires over her core motivation.

If anyone is interested in the Enneagram I would warn you that there are some versions of it which I found rather shallow and I would never recognise myself within them. The one I found well written is by Don Richard Riso

article debunking MB test - https://www.vox.com/2014/7/15/5881947/myers-briggs-personality-test-meaningless

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.