Status
Not open for further replies.

OldHat63

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Lost in the woods of TN and prefer it that way
Hey, folks, how ar ya?

I just found my way here last night, after wading through a rather lengthy web search.
Now I'm no stranger to online forums, having posted about 100 novels worth of text on sites like Sword Forum International, and various gun/firearm related forums over the past 20 years. However, I'm not a writer, never thought about being a writer, had no desire or interest in being one. I've always been a voracious consumer of the written word, but never any thoughts of being a producer of it

Until now.

Y'see, I've had a story knocking around and developing in my head for over 30 years now. And in the past 10 years or so, I've even spent a lot of my "dead time" sitting around and working up character outlines and profiles, creating names, etc.

And all without any intention of actually using them anywhere but in my own mind. Strange, huh? Putting together a pile of information like that with no plan to ever actually do anything with it? Must just be what happens when you read too many comic book and sifi/fantasy novels.

Anyway, a few days ago I was rummaging around YouTube watching music videos, and a video popped up in my "Recommended" list concerning writing a novel. Well, I watched it just out of curiosity, and once it was finished I said "Nah, not for me, thanks." And then within 30 seconds though "Why not? It's not like you've got anything better to do, and you DO have a head full of unused writery-type crap... so why not give it a go?"

So, not knowing much of anything about the field, I started looking around for help. Which eventually brought me here.

Now I still don't have any intentions to publish this monster, if I ever get it out of my skull and out here where anyone else can see it. ( There's enough to what I've already done and worked out to probably generate 6 to 10 novels, really. ) I simply want to put it on paper or some electronic medium, like my hard drive or a thumb drive. That way I can at least say all the other things I've been doing and creating weren't a complete waste of time. Hell, the formatting requirements to submit it to an agent or publisher are enough to give me a migraine and raise my liquor bill by at least 30% all by themselves.

As for information about me... I'm halfway though my 6th decade of this reality we call life, I've had or have quite a few hobbies, such as drawing, studying various martial arts, swords, knives, guns, and just about any dangerous item you can imagine. I'm now "medically retired" due to nerve damage, and have plenty of spare time on my hands. I also tend to sleep really odd hours, so there's no telling when you may find me crawling around here doing research or attempting to find an answer to a question I probably shouldn't have had to ask.

I do have a decent grasp of the English language, but I'm certainly no literature professor. Oh, and I also tend to write like I speak, at least on forums and such. You'll also get very little of the "net speak" that so many like to use these days.
If I'm gonna ask "How are you", it sure as hell won't look like "How R U?"

Anyway, that's basically me. If you have an interest in knowing any more, ask. I'm neither shy nor evasive, and don't have the sense or energy to worry too much about being "Politically Correct" or thin-skinned.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
... Oh, and I also tend to write like I speak, at least on forums and such. You'll also get very little of the "net speak" that so many like to use these days - If I'm gonna ask "How are you", it sure as hell won't look like "How R U?"

... I'm neither shy nor evasive, and don't have the sense or energy to worry too much about being "Politically Correct" or thin-skinned.
:welcome:- You're gonna fit in just fine! - Pop in and say "Hey," when you get a chance...

I think you'll also like it here ---> https://absolutewrite.com/forums/sh...uffes-Bar-Grill-and-Hogewey-Infirmary/page681

Last edited:

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Quite the gift for gab!

Best of luck on your writing, and welcome to AW!

OldHat63

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Okaaaay.... First off, hi to everybody who's posted here that I either haven't spoken to or otherwise acknowledged.
I'm not meaning to be rude, I've just been cruisin' around the place, seeing what's where, and I'm just a little overwhelmed with the amount of information that's here to be absorbed. I certainly wish I'd found the place earlier. MUCH earlier.

I don't usually go as hard and fast at things as I have this, but I know if I don't build up some momentum mow, there's a chance something will come along and derail the whole effort.

As I've said, I had absolutely zero interest in writing anything other than short character descriptions a week ago. And I suppose the light just finally went on that if I could write as much as that whole volume equals, if it were put together in one piece, I should certainly be able to do just that; stick it all into one solid story that made some kind of sense. It might be a weird/bizarre, crazy-ass story. but it should have the required beginning, middle, and end.

So has anyone else had this happen to them? Figuring out that something they were doing as a mindless hobby could be turned into something they'd never even considered before?

I mean, this is just not how I usually operate. As a rule, if something comes along I develop an interest in doing, I'll research it, learn all I can about it, dig around and find out all the pros and cons, then play with it a little bit. ( It's what happened when I decided I wanted to learn how to turn wood to make canes and walking sticks, for instance.It took me several months to even buy the lathe and chisels. )

This time, I pretty much said "Okay, I'm doin' it", and just tore out running. In a matter of hours I'd tried the basic word processing software I'd been using, decided it was too unwieldly for that volume of work, found software I liked better, installed it, then spent the next several hours writing more than I ever had at one time in my entire life. And this from someone who REALLY hated writing throughout school and college.

So, anybody else, or am I really just that... odd? :eek:

P.S. I've been awake now for more than 24 hours, and I fully admit that I'm pretty much running on empty and am a little...punchy.
But don't worry, I do this more often than not... so it's actually normal for me. ( Don't that make ya feel better? :e2brows: )

Mishi

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Hi, I'm originally from Tennessee. I live in Australia now though.

And I do understand what you mean about being overwhelmed by all the info here. It's like every page has at least five stickies. It's crazy.

I'm not the same. I don't usually research a lot before I try to do a thing. I just jump in. If it turns out I'm not good, at least I tried.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I love it. there you are minding your own business, with no intention of ever putting pen to paper and the next thing you know, you are sucked into this other place--this rather strange world like those kids in Narnia. You're going to discover a place of joy and despair, but it's so worth it in the end, when you put that final full stop at the end of your manuscript. Best of luck. We're rooting for you.
What genre are you writing in?

OldHat63

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Hi, I'm originally from Tennessee. I live in Australia now though.

Hi Mishi
What happened? Did the population explosion run you off? I know it's almost enough to send me packin', but I've just been where I am too long to leave. ( 26 years now. )
And every time I make the mistake of watching the evening news, they're talking about how many more are moving into the area and the building boom that's come along with it.
Makes me sick to see what was once farmland covered in cookie-cutter houses.

And I do understand what you mean about being overwhelmed by all the info here. It's like every page has at least five stickies. It's crazy.

I'm not the same. I don't usually research a lot before I try to do a thing. I just jump in. If it turns out I'm not good, at least I tried.

Yeah, there's plenty of useful info here if a person can just manage the information overload and sort out what they need.
I'm going to have to be careful about how I spend my time; too much here means not enough actually writing what I need to.

Welcome! I love it. there you are minding your own business, with no intention of ever putting pen to paper and the next thing you know, you are sucked into this other place--this rather strange world like those kids in Narnia. You're going to discover a place of joy and despair, but it's so worth it in the end, when you put that final full stop at the end of your manuscript. Best of luck. We're rooting for you.
What genre are you writing in?

It was quite a smack in the head, that's for sure. But then, the young lady who started it all is a redhead... and ya gotta watch them Gingers. They'll getcha every time.

Oh, and what I'm currently working on is definitely sci-fi/fantasy... with a whole lot of other stuff thrown in for good measure.
Hell, there's starships, alien races, witches, ghosts, Old Norse, Egyptian and Celtic deities. Even the creator(s) of us all.
Hell, I even threw in a few dragons for good measure. lol
You name it, you'll probably find it in the screwy world that's been brewing in my head all these years.
But then, given what I've always liked to read, it shouldn't surprise anybody that knows me.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It was quite a smack in the head, that's for sure. But then, the young lady who started it all is a redhead... and ya gotta watch them Gingers. They'll getcha every time.

Oh, and what I'm currently working on is definitely sci-fi/fantasy... with a whole lot of other stuff thrown in for good measure.
Hell, there's starships, alien races, witches, ghosts, Old Norse, Egyptian and Celtic deities. Even the creator(s) of us all.
Hell, I even threw in a few dragons for good measure. lol
You name it, you'll probably find it in the screwy world that's been brewing in my head all these years.
But then, given what I've always liked to read, it shouldn't surprise anybody that knows me.
Haha, you can never go wrong with Dragons. Sounds like a blast! With all the thought that's already gone into it, you'll probably fly through the first draft.

OldHat63

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Yeah, I've always been fond of dragons... I even have one tattooed on each shoulder. And I actually raised Bearded Dragons for a long time.

The ones I've come up with for this story aren't typical though... they're a puzzle that no one can figure out. And they aren't giving anybody the answer they want to solve the mystery, either. They're kind'a snarky that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.