What's/how to I get the password for Query Letter Hell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke Everhart

Registered
Reaction score
I read in the FAQ that Query Letter Hell is where I should post a blurb for feedback. A password request pops up when I follow the link to it, however.
How do I obtain the password?

Thanks

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
vista

(You can start critting right away, but generally you can't start your own thread in there till you have made 50 substantive posts in AW.)

Welcome :)

AJakeR

Not with a bang but a whimper
Registered
Reaction score
Forum for Query Letter Feedback

Morning/Afternoon/Evening!,

I've had a look around and can't see anywhere dedicated to anything like query letter or synopses. I'm at the stage where I desperately need some help on my query.

I'm sure I'm just being blind and silly. Is there a forum/thread for query letter feedback?

Pre-emptive thanks!

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Hiya, it's a the very bottom. Password protected so it can't be google searched :) you can request feedback for both queries and synopses in this forum, but you'll need 50 posts to make a new thread on your own (critiquing others in the meantime will be a useful part of the process.)

https://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?174-Query-Letter-Hell-SYW

Password is "vista"

Last edited:

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
I agree with Harlequin - critiquing other queries (even if you only do it in your head) and reading other critiques can only help you write a tighter query yourself.

Now, do you have to morph your own critique into something everyone here will love? God no, mainly because if you ask five writers an opinion on something, you'll get twelve answers depending on the day of the week. However, if all five agree that something isn't working, then it probably isn't working. Whether you use one or an amalgamation of their suggestions, or come up with something completely on your own, by critiquing others, you'll have a good foundation for making your edits.

Best of luck and put on your flame-proof underwear before going in there.

*prepares the marshmallows*

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Best of luck and put on your flame-proof underwear before going in there.

*prepares the marshmallows*

Just a reminder: Editors are more often than not going to speak plainly. There's a difference between speaking plainly, and flaming. If members see a post that they feel is out of line in terms of respecting fellow writers, there's a
report-40b.png
button to click. Alternatively, PM the appropriate mod.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
You're right and I apologize for not phasing that properly.

The good thing about the SYW areas is an author can request the level of critique they get (light, dark, extra-crispy), but at all times, critiques should be beneficial. People should be critiquing the work and they should be working with the author to help make improvements. That can be a full line-by-line with references and etc. at one end of the spectrum all the way to "I"m not sure why, but this isn't working for me" at the other. However, as AW Admin pointed out, respect your fellow writer is paramount, but also, don't immediately disregard a critique because someone didn't like a turn-of-phrase you particularly liked. Take some time, process what's been said, and then look at it one more time before responding. What seems annoying at first might just be the piece of critique you need to really polish your work.

On the other hand, it's all opinion, and to quote an old song, "You can take what you need and leave the rest".

I just tend to warn new(ish) authors that developing fire-proof rhino hide is a good thing because as soon as you release anything into the ether, someone out there isn't going to like it and boy, will they tell you about it.

Dianee

Registered
Reaction score
Query Letter Group

Hello, I was on this site last year and I seem to remember there was a group called Query Letter Hell or something of the sort. I can't find it now. Is the group gone or am I just not looking in the right place? thanks!!

LUNABLUE

Registered
Reaction score
I dont have a rhino hide yet, but I am sure I will need it when I post my query. It will be helpful to have the feedback though.

Status
Not open for further replies.