Writing Something For A Particular Person

barbarairvin

Registered
Reaction score
This might sound like a huge goal, but is it possible to write a script for a certain actor or actress? How would one go about doing this?

Barbara

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
This might sound like a huge goal, but is it possible to write a script for a certain actor or actress? How would one go about doing this?

Barbara

What do you mean, exactly?

nickj47

Registered
Reaction score
Yes it's possible. Studio writers used to do it all the time. But studios had contract players in those days, too. Nowadays it would take an actor who has enough clout (most A-listers have their own production companies) and possibly cash, and who just loves your script, to get the film made.

So your task would be to write the script, get it into the actors hands (or possibly his/her agent), and hope they love it enough to run with it.

I once had a script with a cameo for Oprah Winfrey, playing herself, a pretty important part, albeit one scene only. The script won a few contests but nobody would touch it. Oprah never saw it.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
You mean, how would you put such a script into their hands so they read it, love it, and take it to a studio and say, I really wanna be in this movie?

I'm really not sure if that's do-able. (If it was -- wouldn't everyone be doing it?)

Theoretically you could contact their agent, but something tells me that's doomed to failure, your script is likely to be returned unopened or otherwise dropped into the round filing cabinet.

Has there ever been a spec-script-to-actor success story? I've never heard of one. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

Assuming that's what you're asking....

-Derek

barbarairvin

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to those who posted advice on this topic. I have such a huge journey ahead of me, but I'm definitely not giving up. I have always wanted to write a script for Angela Lansbury.

Barbara

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Has there ever been a spec-script-to-actor success story? I've never heard of one. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

Sure. Happens all the time. But only when the writer has a direct contact already, or a friend who has such a contact.

Write your script for the actor if that helps you get it done. But make it absolutely the best you can do, then get into people's hands who might help get it made. Then hope.

If the part is for an elderly woman Lansbury might hear of it. So might some less famous people who would love the part. Some of those might be more likely to help push the script beyond the option stage.

Last edited:

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Sure. Happens all the time. But only when the writer has a direct contact already, or a friend who has such a contact.
That's great, I sure would like to hear about those, got any specific newbie screenwriter names and produced movie titles?

-Derek

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
...got any specific newbie screenwriter names and produced movie titles?
If you read the general entertainment trades such as Hollywood Reporter and Variety and the trades focused on screenwriting you'll come across them all the time. It's the same process in screenwriting as in all the arts. The artists who get their work considered by producers already know them first-hand or second-hand. Not very comforting for those of us less connected. It's why networking is so important in every art.

barbarairvin

Registered
Reaction score
The networking is something I've got to work on. It is so difficult to find connections when you don't really have any.

Barbara

editor17

Banned
Reaction score

Barbara

Yes. But why? It would limit the chance of selling if that person were not interested.