MICE, Mileu, and POV: SF Example of 3rd person limited milieu plot thread?

CindyRae

Registered
Reaction score
**UPDATED FOR CLARITY**

Can you think of a science fiction story focused on milieu that is written in 3rd person limited instead of omniscient?

What do I mean by "mileu"? See an explanation here, but in essence I mean where the characters end up in a different world and just want to get back home, where the story is largely about the world and the characters' experiences with the strangeness and dangers. It could also be a character who travels to different exotic locales before heading home again. Milieu stories are common in fantasy, like the Wizard of Oz. In science fiction, Jurassic Park, Ringworld, 2001 Space Odyssey.

The MICE quotient is not a rigid structure; many stories combine several elements, like milieu and idea (Lord of the Rings).

I originally wanted to know what POV milieu sf was generally written in, or if someone could point me to a 3rd person limited POV science fiction story that focused on milieu. Still would like that, but I can get there myself by looking at top 100 sf lists for milieu novels, then checking them out at the library.

From my original post, but it muddied the waters:

Working with Orson Scott Card's M.I.C.E. quotient, I have a story with two plot threads, both in 3rd person limited POV. The first thread is fine -- a character story answering two questions for the protagonist in 3rd person limited of the protagonist. The second thread I wanted to be primarily milieu -- will the colonists and crew overcome the dangers of space travel? Will they make it to the colony plant? The subplot of the second thread was to be of the newest crewmember's quest to prove himself, a character subplot.

I'm having trouble placing the emphasis on the ship and the ship dangers for the second thread with 3rd person limited. Instead, that thread is much more of a character story than the milieu I wanted it to be.

Last edited:

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand the question. How can you possibly make a storyline without characters?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I think you maybe taking the concept of MICE a little too literally, if you think you must cut all character development from a story in order to properly display the milieu. The milieu only really comes alive for a reader in how a character is affected by it and interacts with it; some stories definitely shift the focus, but none off the top of my head cut the character altogether. Even The Ship Who Sang was very much about Helva and how she interacted with her world as a brainship; the world would've been pointless without her personal POV on it. Have your newbie character interact with your colony ship world; that's how you show it to the reader. As I understood it, MICE is a matter of balance, not exclusivity; one element may dominate, but all tend to be present to some degree.

I would also ask why it's a problem that a character is a big part of your story... why do you want to strip out the part many readers will relate to (another human/sapient being)? Do you just want to show off your worldbuilding? Do you think your readers won't notice your milieu if there are characters cluttering up the joint?

CindyRae

Registered
Reaction score
I suppose I did not articulate my problem well. I'll revise my post a bit.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, could you explain or link to what M.I.C.E. is?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com

CindyRae

Registered
Reaction score
As clarified in the original post, I wasn't seeking to cut character development out completely. Of my novel's two threads, I wanted a plot thread to be about the ship and journey (Will they overcome the dangers of space? Will the ship get them there?) more than the character (Will he prove himself as the newest crewmember?). I am having difficulty doing so with a 3rd person limited pov. I wanted to examine how other science fiction writers with a strong milieu plot component handled their POV.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
For me, characters are the story, the scenery is just a back drop. The world only has meaning when we experience it through the character’s eyes.

I’m probably misunderstanding your question.