Who else Listens to Music when Writing?

Kat M

Ooh, look! String!
Registered
Reaction score
Put me in team lyrics (I'm a teacher—it's really hard to distract me), and team Spotify (soooo much music at my fingertips).

I make playlists for each WIP. So for example my current WIP revolves around a fractured Celtic garage band, so I have seven hours of Celtic music lined up that puts me in "the mood." But with all these musicians, there's also a classical violinist and a church organist, so occasionally I'll switch genres. When I tried (and failed) a WIP about a very boring Lutheran pastor, I had hours of hymnody all lined up . . .

Saffron

Registered
Reaction score
I used to have to have music in the background but for a good few years now I don't listen to music at all while I write. Having said that music inspires me to write. I like to take a break from writing and just put the headphones on and lose myself in the music and sometimes ideas will come to me while I listen to it.

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
I like it quiet when I write. I get totally absorbed in my work when I'm writing, and music seems to bring me out of the zone.

katphood

"I'm a humanist." Edward Abbey
Registered
Reaction score
I like it quiet when I write. I get totally absorbed in my work when I'm writing, and music seems to bring me out of the zone.

Me too. I absolutely can't do it. If there's music on, I'll listen to it and not write.

I listen to music a lot when not writing, and sometimes get ideas.

Spaceranger82

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if anybody else does this, but I have specific compositions that I listen to when writing certain things. For example, I listen to "Slick in the City" by Kenny Graham when writing mystery/noir-type stuff.

AzrielTWrites

Registered
Reaction score
I definitely do. My house I so loud I couldn't focus otherwise. I can listen to music with lyrics, but I prefer instrumental. Particularly movie scores. The ones from tense scenes are best.

TrueIndigo

Registered
Reaction score
I listen to music a lot when I'm writing. The music doesn't need to be anything in sympathy with the mood of the scene I'm writing, because I'm not really listening to it. It's just there in the background, raising the drama a bit (compared to working in silence), and helps me to keep some inertia going. And having an atmosphere created for me seems to free up some resources, so I can put more into what I am writing. I don't find it distracting; I suppose it's a bit like the semi-aware listening to music you do while driving in the car -- you can enjoy it without any danger of crashing. The music isn't prepared and just comes from my usual playlists, which are grouped according to time period (1960's, 70's 80's etc) so I just use that. Strangely, I would find listening to music while reading too distracting!

Paul Lamb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paullamb.wordpress.com
I can't listen to music when I'm writing. I need silence and solitude so much that I generally rise at 3:00 in the morning to work while the household is asleep. Once the birds start chirping outside, I'm done.

I will confess that music has sometimes influenced my stories, generally some clever lyric or song resolution. And I've known writers who have what they call "theme music" for works. This particular classical movement or symphony helped govern the tone for a given work, as an example.

Alden

Registered
Reaction score
There are some songs, mostly instrumentals, that can help motivate me when writing. But most of the times I prefer not listening to anything, especially when I'm deep in thought with writing a scene.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Mostly I like to have music on, but there are times when I want total silence. There seems to be no logic to the moment's needs. I write fantasy. On writing stints, I play a variety of music, though most of it is Celtic, I also listen to groups such as Nox Arcana, and pop (the sadder, the better)- which, yes, I sing along with. No, it doesn't distract me from the writing though it may slow it down.

BTW, I see a whole lot of folks here I've never seen before. Hi, there.

Desert Author

Writing junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeffegerton.com
Oh gosh, can you write without music? I normally que up the soundtrack Lara's Theme from Dr. Zhivago. Last week I went out on a limb and put in a Clapton CD. Now as much as I like him, it just wasn't the same, the level of inspiration was lacking. I guess I'm in a rut.

birdy50

Registered
Reaction score
COMPLETE silence. Can't concentrate otherwise. And I always read it aloud after I've finished to feel the flow and if it makes sense, so I also like to be alone : )

calisterol

Registered
Reaction score
I literally can't think properly if I do not have music. I don't understand how people do anything without music, it is life draining to even attempt.

benacrow

Registered
Reaction score
I don't listen to music while writing (usually), but I've definitely picked out songs that fit with certain scenes or characters, and listen to those while not writing to think more about writing.

PickledHorseradish

Registered
Reaction score
I listen to music, but it has to be music I don't know. I've listened to Arabesque, Turkish disco music, Radio Beirut, Cubano, Salsa, Swedish death metal, Lo-Fi hip hop and other channels on Internet radio or Spotify while writing. If I know the music I'll get distracted and end up singing along with or losing myself in it.

LeeLara

Happy Girl
Registered
Reaction score
I listen to music, but it has to be music I don't know. I've listened to Arabesque, Turkish disco music, Radio Beirut, Cubano, Salsa, Swedish death metal, Lo-Fi hip hop and other channels on Internet radio or Spotify while writing. If I know the music I'll get distracted and end up singing along with or losing myself in it.

I listen to lo-fi hip hop mostly or anything without words.

Arisuzawa

Registered
Reaction score
For me, it depends on my mood and where I am (physically) while writing. Often these days I try to get some writing in when I have a bit of free time at work (I'm a teacher so before/after/between classes).
Not long ago I bought a game and OST, 'Night in the Woods'. The game is great but the OST is so much better than I had expected. It has now been my go-to background music for when I'm writing or painting.

Dr. Jerry

Registered
Reaction score
Yes! I listen to a lot of movie and video game soundtracks while writing. I usually pick something relaxing and chill unless I'm writing an intense action scene.

laynecalry

Registered
Reaction score
I had never really gotten into the whole music while writing stage, mostly because it distracted me. I would end up singing and listening to the lyrics. When it is Native American Music or Celtic Music with no words, I tend to do better.

I however made my first playlist for my trilogy Song of Saeran to help me get into the mindset and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked out.

When I do listen it is usually as i stated Native American normally Flute music and Celtic instrumental.