Votes: 16 59.3%
  • They're eating me out of house and home - it's a menagerie! 5+ pets

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
National statistics report that U.S. Citizens love having their animals. Whether it's dogs, cats, fish, snakes, hampsters, or whatever, more than 60% of us nationally, own a pet of some kind. Think that's high? The U.S. ranks 4th globally, with Argentina, Mexico, Brazil and Russia ranking higher. Asians seem to rank the lowest at only 30%, but globally, the numbers come in about half of the population worldwide owning some form of a pet.

So, for that 50% that own one - it's time for the pet parade!

How many pets currently do you own? What kind of pets are they? Names? Ages?

ETA: Everyone is apparently including pics of their pets (thankfully all low res so far), so have edited the title to reflect that the thread includes images for those that may be on slower connections. As a reminder for future additions to the thread, keep images in check (no more than 100K, and a max resolution where the longest side is no more than 800px)

Last edited:

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
I'll start - own two labrador retrievers: Duncan the Rescue (chocolate lab) and Kenzie since puppy-hood (Fox red lab), both are 4 yrs old. They're my fur babies! :)

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a pooch named Chip. I wanted to call him Vincent. :D

a18673ba5d2e4b2f24b28fb893777454-full.png

He's just a puppy. I call him Poopies a lot. :greenie

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
As the saying goes, I never don't want you to tell me about your pet.

Just one, check the avi. Nate Dogg is probably five, though we'll never be sure, an Australian Cattle Dog/German Shepherd mix. I got him from the South Central shelter featured in that Louie Theroux documentary. He's a bit of a troublemaker, but extremely well-adjusted and amiable, unlike his father sometimes.

Morning Rainbow

Destroyer of Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.almunson.com
I have one dog who is approaching 16 years old, which is 3 years longer than his breed is supposed to live. I've had him his entire life and it never ceases to amaze me how he can both a sweetheart and a pain in the ass at the exact same time. I love him dearly. He's been my buddy for more than half my life.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Two dogs, litter mates. Dogs are pack animals and having two means they can keep each other company when I'm not home.

They were funny as puppies, looked alike and they would look the same direction and do the same things like little twins. But now they look and act differently. The female is smaller and hyper, the male is larger and sleeps all the time. They're great dogs.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Was a time when I had six cats... but I've been catless for a few years, and unfortunately don't see any personal pets on the horizon. (Need another job, I think... and my room's not set up for it anymore. Kept them in my room with a large outdoor run. Believe it or not, it worked. Will not keep an outdoor cat ever again.)

In the whole household, we're down to one bird, legacy of the sibling's years at a pet store. Mom keeps talking about fixing the fence so we can get another dog - she's a dog person - but somehow it never happens...

RhysBC

Registered
Reaction score
I have two dogs (a puggle and a jacapoo) , three cats and a snake, that fascinates the cats no end as they watch through the window of the vivarium, but they have never been out together for obvious reasons.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a lhasa apso dog. I wouldn't mind having a cat again but my boyfriend is allergic.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I'm allergic to cats, dislike dogs (usually) and horses, and like watching wildlife much too much to want to pretend to own any animal.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Raised on a farm, so I can't abide non-working animals (or people for that matter).

I once was owned by a hearing-ear Siamese cat (sort of like a seeing-eye dog) but currently, I'm Kay's rescue deafie :deaf:.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
We have one Balinese cat, Merlin, and one German Shepherd mix dog, Kaylee.

We are also fostering one black short-hair cat (Bagheera) for the next 8-10 months. He arrived last November and he is a TEMPORARY family member. I swear!

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I technically don't have pets; I have chicken nieces and dog nephews. Chicken pics shall wait until I can get a good recent photo of them, so let me introduce you to the dogs.

This is my little sister's dog, Ozzy. We suspect he's a rat terrier/chihuahua mix. We dogsit him and he's every bit as crazy as his name implies, especially when he's with...

My older sister's 3-legged dog, Chopper. (Don't blame her; he came with the name). He's a chihuahua mix of some sort. He's living with us until she can move somewhere that allows pets, but she visits him almost every day. He and Ozzy are best buds, and love to wrestle, fight over toys, and have marking contests in the backyard.

Oh, the tales I could tell you about them, but that can wait for another day.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I currently have two cats, two dogs and one gopher snake, so I'm at the high end of the 2-5 range. We had a third dog until last May, when my beloved Kelpie, Wiley, passed away.

I have a fondness for the herding breeds, so I compete in the sport of dog agility with my youngest.

Last edited:

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Two dogs - Mindy, a chihuahua mix, and Maddie, a schnauzer/something; and calico cat named Nana, who weighs in at 18 pounds (she should probably count as two)... all rescues.

Adopt, don't shop; and don't forget to spay/neuter.

timebider

Registered
Reaction score
I'm assuming that kids and spouses don't count even if they behave like animals, so: two Australian Shepherds, four cats, four rabbits, a red-belly parrot that thinks she's a cat, and...um...let's go with sixty-ish chickens. (It's probably a good thing I can't figure out how to attach a photo of my dogs, because you'd no doubt perish instantly of cuteness overload.) :tongue

airandarkness

Registered
Reaction score
Technically I don't have any pets, because current living arrangements and work schedule don't really allow for it, though I do dream of the day when that changes and I can have a dog (or 2 or 3) of my own. I do spend a lot of time with my aunt's dog though - her name is Lady and she is a chihuahua/Shih Tzu mix.

IMG_1142_zpslrquisxz.jpg

IMG_1149_zpseo1r9sxb.jpg

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I have a lab/hound mix puppy who my family adopted in March this year and will be 8 months old on the 25th of this month, and I have a small pure bred beagle who we adopted in 2009, is 9 years old this year, and hopefully will be around as long as possible because he's my little baby and I don't know where I'd be if he hadn't come into my life when he did.

We used to have two cats, a girl tuxedo kitty, and boy Siberian kitty (Siberians are related to the Maine Coon breed, just slightly different) but they passed away in 2014 and 2017 respectively. I'd love to have cats again, but da lab puppy is so energetic I just don't see that going well until she's older and calmer. I miss kitties, though...