Hail and Well Met from another Newbie!

O. Faulkner

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everone,

I'm another starry eyed lady trying to get into the writing world. I used to do it quite frequently when I was in high school, but dropped out of it when I went to collage for a degree in video production. Sadly I do not work in my field and have been trying to survive by other jobs, namely retail and customer service.

I've always been an avid reader, especially in the many realms of fantasy. Tamora Pierce's worlds hold a special place in my heart and I credit her for giving me that initial spark to begin writing my own stuff down back in 2001. Lately I've been dabbling my feet in science fiction and have fallen head over heels for the works of Octavia Butler. I've just finished her Xenofiction/Lilith's Brood trilogy and have begun her Parable series next. I'm also a fan of film (favorite being The Dark Crystal), anime/manga (currently reading Princess Jellyfish), and animation. I'm also an artist currently trying to break back into my old love of watercolors.

My current project is very near and dear to me, a YA fantasy novel that I began last year and am getting close to finishing off the second draft. It's the very first time I ever started a longer story and ended up finishing it. I'm hoping it can be the start of a trilogy.

I came to this site because I've been looking for a community of writers to really delve into. I've been trying since graduation (2011) to find a writing circle and have been very unlucky so far, especially with in-person groups. I want to do as much research as I can about the industry before I start throwing out my manuscript. I'm a little rusty with providing proofreading and proper critique, which is another reason why I'm joining. The more practice, the better I can grow, and the more I can learn! :)

I can't wait to enter this community and meet all of the cool people here!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

O. Faulkner

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I've never heard of Tamora Pierce. Would you recommend any in particular?

Hello!

Most folks start with her first quartert, The Song of the Lioness. If you're a fan of the trope "girl sneaks into palace disguised as a boy to become a knight", it's right up your alley. If you'd rather read the story of the first girl accepted officially into the palace to become a knight, Protector of the Small will be perfect! I also highly recommend The Circle of Magic, four orphaned kids come to Winding Circle, a university for teaching magic, and learn to become great magic users while growing stronger as a family.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

Most folks start with her first quartert, The Song of the Lioness. If you're a fan of the trope "girl sneaks into palace disguised as a boy to become a knight", it's right up your alley. If you'd rather read the story of the first girl accepted officially into the palace to become a knight, Protector of the Small will be perfect!
That reminds me of my great-grandmother. She dressed up like a man and got a job in a mine during the 1930's I think it was, and actually got away with it for years.

I also highly recommend The Circle of Magic, four orphaned kids come to Winding Circle, a university for teaching magic, and learn to become great magic users while growing stronger as a family.
This sounds interesting.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I've learned a great deal here and found it a great place to talk theory and process - which I love to do. I am sure you will have a great time and find your people. :e2coffee: