Revealing Plot Twists, When?

Overkill

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Is it always best to have a plot twist revealed near the very end of the story? I am debating about when the one in my novel should come to light. Thw twist will not change the narratrive. So maybe its not a twist in the true sense of the word. It's information about one of the characters that would clarify the perspective of anopther character.

rainbowsheeps

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's really hard to answer this question without knowing more. The answer to your question about whether the twist has to be revealed at the end is no. But, when to reveal the twist depends upon what the story is, what the twist is, and what makes the twist satisfying in a narrative way. You suggest the twist "will not change the narrative", but instead clarify a character's relationship with another. I'm often "against" writers withholding information for very long from readers, because a lot of newer writers have a tendency to dole out info in really small, uninteresting breadcrumbs that annoys, rather than intrigues, readers. So, in that way, I'd say consider dropping it as early in your story as seems appropriate to you. Also, if the twist isn't a big shift that changes the way the reader reads the work, then it might feel unsatisfying if left until the end, because it doesn't sound like it'll compel people to want to reread the work and see how it changes things, etc. So, again - earlier could be better in your case.

Thomas Vail

What?
Registered
Reaction score
A plot twist at the end of the end of a story is supposed to build suspense, make you reevaluate what has happened before, or leave you with a cliffhanger that leaves you eager for the next installment. The problem with a twist like that coming earlier is that it tends to feel like a natural stopping point, so continuing on for X chapters afterwards might end up having awkward narrative momentum.

Something that shouldn't have as much narrative impact, like what the OP is describing, shouldn't have as much impact and so can fit more easily into various points in a story. "You weren't the only survive of the battle of X - I was there too and you didn't hold the line until the end, you ran and left us to die." Or "I knew who was really driving that night, and that you took the blame just to protect them. I've always known."

Overkill

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Twist reveal?

I think it's really hard to answer this question without knowing more. The answer to your question about whether the twist has to be revealed at the end is no. But, when to reveal the twist depends upon what the story is, what the twist is, and what makes the twist satisfying in a narrative way. You suggest the twist "will not change the narrative", but instead clarify a character's relationship with another. I'm often "against" writers withholding information for very long from readers, because a lot of newer writers have a tendency to dole out info in really small, uninteresting breadcrumbs that annoys, rather than intrigues, readers. So, in that way, I'd say consider dropping it as early in your story as seems appropriate to you. Also, if the twist isn't a big shift that changes the way the reader reads the work, then it might feel unsatisfying if left until the end, because it doesn't sound like it'll compel people to want to reread the work and see how it changes things, etc. So, again - earlier could be better in your case.

Here are the specifics- my main character agreed to help an ex girlfriend find a missing person. She called the missing person a "friend" but gave little other info. It is going to be that the missing "friend" is really the daughter of the ex. He will uncover some info that will make the connection, which will cause him to confront her. Knowing exactly who she is doesn't change much. Well, that is how I feel. I would think, if anything, it might make him dig that much harder knowing the connection is more personal.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
As it is with a lot of things... I believe the answer to your question is - it depends.

In the first book of my current series, I knew what was up and left bread crumbs along the way, then applied the twist at the end. Readers have told me they were surprised, then recalled the bread crumbs, and went back and reread those parts.

In my WIP my MC surprised me, and the twist has shown up at the beginning of the second act (three act structure). Although I'm a plotter, my planning is usually restricted to plot points along the way (that way I usually don't wander and get stuck in a dead end), characters though, they have a life of their own. As I wrote a particular scene the character's motivation for a lot of his actions were revealed.

So, plot twists occur where they are necessary for the story.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
it might make him dig that much harder knowing the connection is more personal.

I agree. If the connection to the missing person is personal than the MC will be willing to work harder and risk his life much more to save them. And when the MC works harder and is willing to risk their life that makes a more interesting story.

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
If it doesn't change much, then why is it a "plot twist" and not just new information?

Overkill

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
i used the wrong term.....

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
Doesn't matter. You can have a twist in the plot at anytime. Well, maybe not on the very first page, because first you'll need to make the reader think the plot is going somewhere. But after you've done that you can "twist" it, i.e. make the plot turn in an unexpected direction. But since you say that "twist" wouldn't change much, then it sounds like it's not going to change reader's expectations much. So, put it where it's needed. When would it be important (more or less) for the character to know that new information would depend on how you want that new information to change things. Whether it's a "plot twist" or not, that new information brings some sort of change, right? You mentioned that it will lead to a confrontation. Well, you can have an event like that in the beginning, in the middle or in the end, but then those will be three different stories. There are soooo many different stories out there that whatever you do will be right. As long as it fits your story. If he's "going to dig much harder", then one writer could choose to make a story where it is important to have most of the story happen before this confrontation, and another writer might choose to make a story where it is important to have most of the story happen after this confrontation.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Is it always best to have a plot twist revealed near the very end of the story? I am debating about when the one in my novel should come to light. Thw twist will not change the narratrive. So maybe its not a twist in the true sense of the word. It's information about one of the characters that would clarify the perspective of anopther character.

A plot twist or sudden revelation can happen almost anywhere in a story. Where you put it depends on what it needs to accomplish. Does it serve as a point of no return? Introduce a new complication? Snatch victory from the hero when victory had seemed assured? Does it cast a backwards light on the story, or would it work better to reveal it closer to the beginning? In short, what difference does it make? Because it does need to make a difference.

Only you can answer those questions.

Last edited:

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would say it depends on the type of story. If done right, I don't see why you couldn't do it at any point. The key, I would imagine, is to maintain structure and unity with the plot while doing so.

Just my amateur 0.02c! :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It depends on what you want to do with the twist. If you want it to be a "Holy shit!" that hits the reader at the end and makes them reevaluate the way they read the book the first time, it might be that you want it at the end. If you want to use the twist to affect the MC's (and reader's) journey during the course of the book, you need to do it earlier. I've had twist reveals at the midpoint, at the end, at the 2/3rds mark, at the 80% mark. It depends on the book.

(I apologize for any typos. I can't read the screen well today)

nickj47

Registered
Reaction score
So we're not talking about a plot twist, more what I would call a reveal. These can happen at any time, first chapter, halfway though, last page, wherever it fits into the story. The most important thing, as rainbow said, is to avoid making the reader feel cheated, by intentionally misleading them or hiding information they should have known. Misdirection is okay, although smarter readers will sometimes see through it.

ETA: If the reveal is your story, obviously it has to appear close to the end. If it's just a cool part of the narrative, then any time.

Last edited:

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
If it's a mystery it's best to have the major reveal at the end or else why would someone keep reading? That's why after Jessica solves the murder on Murder She Wrote the show ends ASAP. Because after that, no one cares. :D Just make sure you're talking about plot twists and not deus ex machina. Talk about getting a reader mad fast. It's best to sprinkle your book throughout, leading to a reveal so it won't seem like it's coming out of the blue.

Foreshadowing is KEY for pulling off an epic plot twist. Red herrings are a MUST have in a mystery/suspense (if that's what you're writing). You have to surprise the reader but not in a way where it seems like you just pulled something out of your butt in the last minute.

Mystery lover and mystery writer here!

Last edited: