Find that word in your WIP

JillianBondarchuk

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
8 times that handle or handled was mentioned in 80k words.

An hour later, from the window of his chamber, Malcom gripped the red-handled dagger he recovered from under Coira’s mirror and watched the flames of the pyre reach high with the lightening dawn.

Pounded

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Okay, so I see there some confusion between this thread and the one where you count the words in your WIP. To clarify, this thread is for finding the previous poster's word and posting the sentence that word is in. No need to say how many times it appeared. Also, you don't have to choose a word from the sentence you posted. Any word will work. Now that that PSA is out of the way...

I have braces, which means my teeth are more expensive than yours.” Jeganna pounded on the door again. “Plus, who knows? I might kiss Joshua-Gabe today.”

Old

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
The living room seemed familiar. Couch on one side facing a huge television, and old, perhaps ancient, dolls and stuffed animals were on cases nailed to the wall.

brief

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(I think I'm probably the one who confused the two threads. Oops!)

He holds the hose over his head and drenches himself in cool water, taking care to squirt his face, let the water pour into his mouth, then drench his hair a second time. He tucks the brass hose connector inside his running shorts, first in front very briefly, then in back. Overhead and on his face again, drinking great gulps, before he turns the water off. His shoes squelch as he enters the shade.

So many words to choose from, huh? I choose water.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
His face looked like it was a water balloon about to burst. “I’m so sorry, Kindle. I was protecting Poppy, but I should have come after you.”

protect

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I protect my clients’ identities, no matter what.

Hm. Let's go with matter.

pharm

profoundly de minimis
Registered
Reaction score
“Well, from what I hear they needn’t have bothered. The commander speaks highly of your performance. Says you’ve filled those shoes admirably, and perhaps even deserve a pair of your own.”

burst

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
“Is Jerry okay? Where’s Jerry?” An EMT talks into a shoulder radio, telling them to look for a second victim, hearing that they only found a yellow lab. “That’s Jerry! Is he okay?” He bursts into tears when he hears the dog bark.

(I got a lot of flak for killing a dog as part of a plot point. Now I'm saving dogs!)

Next word: yellow

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Strangely, from the same scene as the one I posted a few days ago (but a two-fer!):

“How long has he been here?” Phil asked.
“Sir?” Decker asked.
“How long has it been since you pulled him over?”
“About twenty minutes. Why?”

ETA: Lol. Cross posted with Maryn

I entered my office and on my desk was a plastic toy airplane with a yellow sticky note affixed to the wing. Sorry, buddy. —Eric.

Twenty

Last edited:

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
About maybe twenty minutes later, I dumped my controller on the cold, pale dirt.

welcome

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Figured I’d be welcome if I brought a couple cases of beer.”

couple

JillianBondarchuk

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Peering out the window like a couple of owls in the night, we watched the guard on the wall make his slow journey back and forth as he looked out on the fields beyond.

Journey

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I remember to keep my head bowed while the hired phalanx guards my journey from my baby's grave to the car.

Ooh, let's do grave.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I yelp like somebody stepped on my tail. (Also a lot of entail, detail, retail, ponytail, tailor...)

Stepped

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
“Please.” Voltamius stepped closer to Applebrow. “We need the seed to save my mom and dad and little sister.”

Building

- - - Updated - - -

“Please.” Voltamius stepped closer to Applebrow. “We need the seed to save my mom and dad and little sister.”

Building

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
It's been a few days. I'll go with my own word, "Building"

“The hospital’s the other way, genius.” Spot closed the portal with her tail while pointing at a large building with her paw.

Bright

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The suit is a bright navy, very well tailored, the same blue winking from gold cuff links.

gold

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Me, Phil, and Eric showed Maggie and the photographer around the plant, hard hats on and ear plugs in, snapping pictures in front of photogenic equipment, even if that equipment didn’t really do much more than look good with yellow railings, green motor housings, and of course of the enormous rolls of our “white gold”; the only reason the Ruddick-Rayburn paper company exists.

From Randomwordgenerator.com: basket

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Whatever, whoever, controlled me, made me take a pickaxe from a basket and stand inside a small tunnel wall with various nicks in it.

tunnel

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My first strike-out. No uses of tunnel in 133K.

Next word: four

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Let’s just blow the lid on this and make everyone look at it. Nothing has happened in the previous four years, and surely nothing is going to happen with all of Nashville watching."

ETA: Sorry, I just had to add a second instance, since I made this character as arrogant as I could just so I could take writerly pleasure in abusing him mercilessly later on:

Murphy was slow and deliberate in his preparation when his turn came. He sized up the tee, surveyed the lay of the fairway, and then took four or five practice swings. I would not have been surprised to see him wet a finger and stick it into the air to test the wind. In the amount of time it took for both Eric and I to tee off, Murphy finally got everything just so. With a swing and a ping of the club, the ball flew straight and true for the first ninety percent of its flight, only to slice at the last second and bounce just off the fairway.

Nothing

Last edited:

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Mr. Thomas made a face. “Charming thought, but it’s nothing we can’t handle. Now calm down. We just have to fix the Fabric-Aliver back at the lab.”

Fix