RIP: Queen of Soul Aretha Franklin

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
Rise up singing, Aretha. You were a miracle among us.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don Lemon was unable to speak to CNN because he was in tears.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I swear, if the Cheato makes this about himself or insults Franklin's passing in some way...*gnashes teeth*

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Got so choked up when I heard this news.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Playing some tunes for The Kid. She knows the songs, but it seems important today that she recognize who recorded them.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Me too, tears down my face while I mowed the lawn this morning. Her death broke into a phone conversation I was having with one of my oldest friends. We said, at the same time "Oh, Aretha died." And then we talked about our mutual timeline set to her music.

Spent yesterday with 13 year old g-daughter. Aretha was on every station all day. Magnolia had heard some of the songs before but never connected them with an actual person. We had a wonderful daylong political history lesson. We used Mazzy's beloved screen world to bring the historical importance of this woman home. Maz was in touch with friends who were also wondering who this famous woman was. It was one of those days when music bridges the gaps. --s6

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
RIP

I loved her in The Blues Brothers

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing

Last weekend, my wife and I woke up to a rainy Saturday and it was a super-soaker shower. Nothin' much happening outside, so let's put it on Spotify and see what R&B is being served up on my custom soul station.

We got some Luther Vandross, Earth, Wind and Fire, Bobby Womack, Roberta Flack and Donny Hathaway, Isaac Hayes, Zapp, Michael Jackson and Ashford and Simpson and while we sang and swayed to the sweet sound of 100% pure and unadulterated soul, we couldn't help but note that Nick Ashford, Michael Jackson, Isaac Hayes, Roger Troutman of Zapp, Donny Hathaway, Luther Vandross and Maurice White of Earth, Wind and Fire were all dead and gone.

All my favorites are dying off. Now Aretha done gone too and I miss her already, but I don't feel sorry for me. I feel sorry for all those young people today who know Aretha Franklin is an icon, but don't have Clue One why.

Damn shame really.

Hey Nineteen
That's 'Retha Franklin
She don't remember the Queen of Soul
It's hard times befallen
The soul survivors
She thinks I'm crazy
But I'm just growing old

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
I just got down off a mountain and got radio signal to hear the news - my entire 3 drive home was all her on Spotify

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is why Donald Trump is pond scum:

"I want to begin today by expressing my condolences to the family of a person I knew well. She worked for me on numerous occasions. She was terrific."

Aretha was terrific, but everything else is a goddamned fucking LIE, you wrinkled scrotum. You don't express sympathy by talking about Aretha like she was a damn servant bringing you your 12th Diet Coke at Mar-A-Lago. Everything is not about you, but damned if you won't try to make it about you, you heartless prick!

Aretha was Lady Soul. You sir, have no soul!

If you want to give a shout-out to a legend, let Barack Obama show you how a real president does it.

"Aretha helped define the American experience. In her voice, we could feel our history, all of it and in every shade—our power and our pain, our darkness and our light, our quest for redemption and our hard-won respect. May the Queen of Soul rest in eternal peace."

THAT'S how you do it!

Rest indeed, Lady Soul. Rest in Power.

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The world has seen many exceptional singers, and she was surely one. She had a style and a presence that set her apart from the rest - for sure among the very best we've ever seen and heard.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Another point about Aretha. She wasn't really spectacular on stage, full of physicality, dance and gesture. She didn't need to be. She sang, and that was always enough to fill every viewer's experience to overflowing.

caw

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Donald Trump's comments about Aretha Franklin keep with his racist need to try and show his superiority over a black person who was more successful, talented, accomplished, respected and admired than he could ever hope to be.