That F-ing Bakery: This Time Refusing a Trans Woman's Birthday Cake

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just two months after his narrow victory at the Supreme Court, Jack Phillips, the owner of Masterpiece Cakeshop, is back in the news for once again discriminating against an LGBTQ customer. This time, he refused to sell a birthday cake to a transgender person

The facts of the case are simple. Autumn Scardina, a transgender attorney, called Masterpiece Cakeshop asking for a birthday cake. She mentioned that her birthday coincides with the anniversary of coming out as transgender, so she was hoping for a design that was pink on the inside and blue on the outside to commemorate that. Masterpiece Cakeshop refused to make the cake on the grounds that it doesn’t make cakes celebrating gender transitions.

https://thinkprogress.org/masterpiece-cakeshop-transgender-discrimination-6be9ab947b13/

It's open season now. This is the march of intolerance and the rise of oppression. Thanks Supreme Court!

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I assume that she was doing this specifically to make some sort of a point, because why else even darken the door of this well-known bigoted jerk? Surely telling him it's a transition cake was deliberate?
There must be other bakeries that would be interested in doing something a little different? They seem to be all over the TV on baking contest shows.
I mean, we all know by now that the guy who runs 'That F-ing Bakery' is a homophobic, bigoted ass. Will the Supreme Court give her a do-over?

Last edited:

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
This was clearly to prove a point. But it keeps the assholes in the news for being assholes. And it keeps the supporters of said assholes talking about how they want to get to be assholes too so that we know who they are. More asshole exposure. Just what this country needs.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This was clearly to prove a point. But it keeps the assholes in the news for being assholes. And it keeps the supporters of said assholes talking about how they want to get to be assholes too so that we know who they are. More asshole exposure. Just what this country needs.

It also helps take the temperature, so to speak, of the country's reaction to legalized discrimination. This serves to rally allies, and warn marginalized minorities of exactly where they stand.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Complete agreement with the above statements. Giving this turd a continuing presence in the news is a horrid error in judgment on the part of this attorney. I can't see anything but more bad coming out of this.

I wonder if this baker would approve a Neo-Nazi celebratory cake.

caw

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Why would she patronize that bigot's bakery anyway? ...

'Cause, you know, she wanted cake?

Ms. Scardina's case was filed in 2017. The facts w/r to timing in this Fox article are incorrect (the SCOTUS ruling was this year, 2018), but there is a link to Ms. Scardina's filing (pdf).

My hope is that the Colorado Civil Rights Commission has learned how to characterize equality as a purely legal construct. And that judges still care about such things.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if this baker would approve a Neo-Nazi celebratory cake.

caw

They don't even need a specialty swastika mold (although why do I suspect there's one available out there?):
8 loaf cakes and you're ready to ice.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
The baker's original stance was that he was specifically opposed to making a gay wedding cake and that he wouldn't have any problem serving LGBT clients in other contexts, so it looks pretty clear that this woman is trying to call his bluff. I also suspect that she's hoping to challenge the court to examine this issue more deeply and take a clearer (hopefully pro-equal rights) stance.

By refusing to make this cake for her, the baker has strained his claim that it was specifically a marriage issue for him. My concern is that the court could still look at this case and decide that the baker was within his rights here because he was objecting to making a cake celebrating the woman's transition, not making a cake for her in general. That would be unfortunate, because it would uphold the idea that there is a difference between "being" LGBT and "acting" on it, and that there's a difference between supporting one vs. the other.

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
Isn't Masterpiece the same bakery that had no problem selling a dogs' wedding cake...? Yes, it is (explains a 2013 ACLU article).

I really hope there's better news at the end of this case than what we saw happen (harassment, federal overruling of state interpretation, etc.) with the married couple.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Isn't Masterpiece the same bakery that had no problem selling a dogs' wedding cake...? Yes, it is (explains a 2013 ACLU article).

Isn't that usually part of their horrified outcry at learning gay people want to get married? As in 'What next!?? Dogs getting married!??!?'

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't that usually part of their horrified outcry at learning gay people want to get married? As in 'What next!?? Dogs getting married!??!?'

Back when I still tried to give my mother a chance for redemption, she used this same type of argument. It was, "What's next? Someone will want to marry a donkey?"

Yeah, mom, cuz that's exactly how this works.

Ugh.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
She's behind the times. People marry jackasses all the time.
:roll::roll::roll:
Sad but true.
And dogs. Lying dogs, cheating dogs, etc. And there are some bitches out there that apparently have found spouses.

People should just be grateful that their friends and family have found someone good to love. Leave concerns about orientation and colour aside.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Leave concerns about orientation and colour aside.

Madalyn Murray O'Hair, the founder of American Atheists, was once on a radio show where a caller asked what her organization's official position was towards homosexuality.

She replied, "We used to say that whatever two consenting adults did was none of anyone else's business."

"You used to say that?" The caller was clearly pleased to hear that American Atheists no longer held this opinion. "What do you say now?"

Mrs. O'Hair replied, "Whatever two or more consenting adults do..."

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, moving with the times! Or, at least, widening one's scope! If only all groups were as open to change.