• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Should I include the name of the editor in my sci-fi book?

msd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
huntforkomodocracker.wixsite.com
Should I credit my editor in my sci-fi book and if so, what is the standard on how to write it in?

I ask because my editor did such a great job I feel she should be mentioned, yet I find few examples on people doing this.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Should I credit my editor in my sci-fi book and if so, what is the standard on how to write it in?

I ask because my editor did such a great job I feel she should be mentioned, yet I find few examples on people doing this.

I did it in the acknowledgements at the end of the book.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think you'll find a lot of authors include the editor in their book's acknowledgments section (I do). It's up to you how you phrase it.

Look at other published books for examples. If you want, you can click on one of the Amazon links for my books below and use the "Look Inside" feature to see how I wrote mine.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
There are tons of people who do it (I'd guess most based on nothing but reading a lot of books) -- it's in the acknowledgements.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would definitely say acknowledge them if they did a great job. They'll appreciate it.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score

I've seen it done a lot. Authors acknowledge all sorts of people: agents, editors, copy editors, book designers, cover artist, spouse, kids, best friend, crit partners, the lady at the local library who helped find a book on arcane medical practices in the Dark Ages...

It would be a kind and wonderful thing to thank your editor.

johnsolomon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree, it's always good to show gratitude. Editing isn't easy.

rosegold

Registered
Reaction score
As others have said above, I've seen it done in the acknowledgements.

I'd definitely write something. Editing is so much work that I'd feel weird not mentioning it at all.

Toto Too

Registered
Reaction score
I've seen it done a lot. Authors acknowledge all sorts of people: agents, editors, copy editors, book designers, cover artist, spouse, kids, best friend, crit partners, the lady at the local library who helped find a book on arcane medical practices in the Dark Ages...

It would be a kind and wonderful thing to thank your editor.

One could include the AW forums in that as well!

(Off topic, about the cover artist - is that for self-pub only? I thought trade publishers force their own cover on you)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
(Off topic, about the cover artist - is that for self-pub only? I thought trade publishers force their own cover on you)

"Force" is the wrong word. Generally it's in the contract that they get the final say on the packaging, but you'll be consulted. They prefer it if you're happy. Truly.

I don't think I did thank my cover artist in the acknowledgements, and shame on me. I have a framed print of my Book 2 cover in my living room.

Toto Too

Registered
Reaction score
"Force" is the wrong word. Generally it's in the contract that they get the final say on the packaging, but you'll be consulted. They prefer it if you're happy. Truly.

That's good to know. I have a friend who is an outstanding artist, and I would feel awful if I somehow hit the jackpot and got published, and she couldn't do the cover. But more than likely I will self-publish, so, boom.

Your covers are *awesome* btw. It seems like most times the artists don't get credited, so don't feel bad :)

(off topic off topic I know, sorry!!!)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
That's good to know. I have a friend who is an outstanding artist, and I would feel awful if I somehow hit the jackpot and got published, and she couldn't do the cover. But more than likely I will self-publish, so, boom.

You could suggest her, but IME publishers have a set of artists they like to work with. Nothing to say they wouldn't consider her work, though.

And self-publishing is an equally awesome way to go, so whatever you choose, go, you. :)