Book Cover / Struggling with Canva

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Please take into account I don't have much in the way of graphic design skills. I am going for a pretty basic design using Canva and my first issue is the white line under the series name which I cannot work out how to select so I can delete it--any ideas?
I am also open to any feedback in general on this draft.

1 by Emily Veinglory, on Flickr

1 by Emily Veinglory, on Flickr

M. R. Kessell

Registered
Reaction score
Looks pretty good! My only concern is that maybe there isn't enough contrast between the title and the background image. Maybe if the image were darkened slightly it might pop more?

kevinwaynewilliams

Be blunt: I appreciate it
Registered
Reaction score
The sink faucet is an intrusive element. I'd replace it with tile to provide a smoother surface for lettering. No one will notice its absence. If that's beyond your photo manipulation skills, shift your text placement to either more completely obliterate it or to more completely avoid it.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I use Canva all the time to create promotional stuff to use on social media, and find that if you use one of their templates, some of the elements specific to that template can be tough to remove.

It looks like you used the "Needle & Thread" template to create your design. When I pulled it up, I found that if I clicked on the unwanted white bar, then clicked on the trash icon, then selected "Remove Element," it deleted just the bar. See if that helps.

My issue with the cover overall is proportion. The title is too far down the page for my taste, and if the figure sitting on the floor stood up, the sink is so low it would only come up to just about his knees.

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Most folk have mirrors above their sink, and my eye is drawn to the 'mirror' but I can't work out what that tall black thing is supposed to be.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I worked out that I needed to "ungroup" the elements in order to delete the line. So that's one issue dealt with.

kevinwaynewilliams

Be blunt: I appreciate it
Registered
Reaction score
I second Mrsmig's comment on proportion. I assume the figure is a separate layer. The femur is roughly 1/4 of a person's height. Based on sink height, those are 8" tiles, making his femur roughly 22" long, for an 7'4" figure.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree that we have mirrors above bathroom sinks. I can picture that picture to actually be a reflection of the back wall.

And I know this could be incredibly hard to do, but if you moved the title up a bit and where it crossed the mirror, have the reflection of the letters show in the mirror. For example the reflection of the back of "A Hea" could show the way block letters have a shadow.

I like the image overall. The title should be higher. "Maewyn's Prophecy 4" is lost. Move it up with moving up the title.

Last edited:

Jennie

Registered
Reaction score
:hi:
I like this cover and the intriguing atmosphere. But "Maewyn's Prophecy" is not clear enough. Perhaps you could change the font, or enlarge it a bit, and reduce also the title.

Erinell

Registered
Reaction score
My own reaction is that the image of the guy is too small (maybe 15% bigger?) and the title should be higher -- sort of in the area of the two horizontal lines in the mirror, maybe? But definitely intriguing concept -- good luck with it!

Underdawg47

Registered
Reaction score
I love it. If it were me, I wouldn't change a thing except for that horizontal white line above the figure's hand. It would definitely be a book that I would take notice of.

RGS-Author

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
heartinshadowscover.jpg