• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Not Enough Endings

Status
Not open for further replies.

NathanLyle

Registered
Reaction score
When it comes to writer's block I lucked out into a a really good coping strategy. When I reach a point in a story where I can't write anymore I just work on a different story. If I can't come up with anything new I'll just edit a story I haven't looked at in a while. Good news, I never feel like I just can't write at all. Bad news, I've been doing this for over a decade, have hundreds of stories...and only 5 of them are complete enough to share with others. More than a third of my stories I never even finished the rough draft.

rosegold

Registered
Reaction score
That's such a dangerous pattern for me. I've learned that if I get bored of a story, I have to make myself interested in the story again. Otherwise, I'll lose myself in a spiral of "chapter one" documents.

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
That's such a dangerous pattern for me. I've learned that if I get bored of a story, I have to make myself interested in the story again. Otherwise, I'll lose myself in a spiral of "chapter one" documents.

I have this problem also. Frustrating. I think it's a symptom of my ideas aren't interesting enough to play out.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth:

I'm polishing my ending currently after taking years to write the book. One reason the ending is harder is because there's no more room to go in any creative direction I want to. There's only one way the book can end. Even if there were two or three options, they are still closed, not open ended options.

I didn't know what my ending was going to be as I was writing. I knew what the concept was, the goals, the character's goal. The closer I got the clearer the ending became.

There are a lot of good web pages out there on how to write or structure your endings. I found those very helpful when my critique group said my ending deflated instead of popped. Do take the time to read 'how to write endings' blogs or how to write book chapters on endings. They might give you ideas.

If you are losing interest in the story, that's a problem. You need to rethink that story. But if you are stopping because you have writer's block and it's easier to go do something else, that's a different problem. Read endings in books in the same genre. Read those writers' guides I spoke of in the previous paragraph.

Last edited:

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
I think I've got about 20-30 "book ideas" that never got past the first chapter or so...whether it's 1K words, 10K words, or what have ya, ideas stall and sputter out all the time on me.

I have one on the back burner that I've been wanting to get back to about a blacksmith, but currently working out the final details of a short story on a tangential plot line about an artist who paints sword scabbards for the high society types...

CJMatthewson

Registered
Reaction score

I myself choose this method in moderation for exactly this reason - I used to have a hundred different ideas and none of them ever seemed to get finished. I keep two or three stories open at a time so if I get blocked on one I can move on to the other. It's a strategy I've learned recently and seems to almost trick my brain into thinking I'm doing new and exciting work when in reality I'm working on a story I've only taken a week off from.

Another similar strategy I use is to brainstorm new story ideas when I'm stuck on the old one - it means my brain has to get to work, I can think about new stories but don't act on them till I've finished the current project(s).

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I find it's VERY important to see an idea through to completion. Only then are you able to embrace the full story arc and build the skill-set.

Just my amateur 0.02c! :D

rosegold

Registered
Reaction score
I myself choose this method in moderation for exactly this reason - I used to have a hundred different ideas and none of them ever seemed to get finished. I keep two or three stories open at a time so if I get blocked on one I can move on to the other. It's a strategy I've learned recently and seems to almost trick my brain into thinking I'm doing new and exciting work when in reality I'm working on a story I've only taken a week off from.

I do this, sort of, but I tend to put aside the second story a lot. It's hard to trust myself not to slip.

NathanLyle

Registered
Reaction score
My biggest issue is that if I force myself to work on something when I'm just not feeling it then it stops being fun and I want writing to always be fun. For this past year I've been focused mostly on my autobiography. There have been 3 separate times when I took a month off to just work on something else more fun. Last month I was halfway through my 7th draft when I decided I was tired of this thing and never wanted to look at it again. I started wondering if being a writer would be worth it. I took a few weeks off to work on a justice league fanfiction and it reminded me that I do still love writing and maybe it's time to put this book aside for a while and let my brain rest. I plan to use AW as my excuse to not work on the book again till September. I'm still exploring all these forums. There's just too much to do!

Status
Not open for further replies.