Just arrived from UK

TheFabulist

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not new to writing as such, because most of my working life was spent writing reports and proposals of one sort or another. I've always enjoyed the craft side of it, refining sentence structure, choice of words, building a rhetorical case for whatever the proposal was. What's new to me is plotting and dialogue and also the extended timescale involved in writing novels. Most of the stuff I did at work had to be finished in days or at best weeks. Anything over a longer period would be written collaboratively and my role became a sort of editor.

I've always dabbled in other forms though but never carried anything to completion. Now I've retired (for the second time...) and I seem to be even more short of time than I was as a wage slave with painting and printmaking, gardening and writing competing for my time. I've been digging around here for a week or so now and I like what I have found. I'm on several similar sites, but this one seems to have a good balance between the technical and the creative, with lots of resources to draw on. I've already found some good ideas to help me actually finish something.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

GLZyx

Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

2nd retirement. Now you can go on vacation (holiday), enjoy what you write.

:partyguy:

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! This certainly is a long game. I started out thinking it would take me 6 months and I'd have a manuscript out and ready to go. 4 years later...... :D unless you're Jake Bible of course, who gets a 70k manuscript out every 3 weeks, but I think he's a Google AI or something.
Anyway, welcome again, and best of luck.