• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Literary Voice

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Apologies, that wasn't clear of me.

I meant specifically in relation to the op worrying that a publisher would ask them to change their voice. If you are self publishing, they would not have any input over that (nor would you know their opinion, most likely, of your specific voice).

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
That's true if the author is going straight to self-publishing. If self-publishing is the option chosen after rejections, it would be well to check those rejections for voice-related issues and take them to heart.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
That is great to know. I am new in this game and I am embarking on basically making out of writing. I also write poetry. None of my work have been published yet and I am seeking to self-publish.

If you are planning to self-publish be absolutely sure that your writing is the very best it can be.

Use beta readers and crits. Possibly use a professional editor, especially if you are writing in a language that is not your own.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
One of my favorite editors once said "Style is what you can't help doing."

Love this. "Voice" is pretty much something that comes natural, infects any story organically, and to try to categorize and impose such a nebulous thing on a piece of writing is a waste of energy. Concentrating on getting the more obvious structural things in order will facilitate how your writing voice comes through, but beyond that I wouldn't worry much about it. And, as has been mentioned, it can vary from story to story anyway.

And, as an aside, in contrast to a singer's voice, there ain't no autotuning crutch to help a writer's voice.

caw

Last edited:

Scythian

Registered
Reaction score
I think a beginner writer's voice goes through three basic phases:
1) the initial natural crude voice
2) attempts to write 'correctly' which make the voice sound unnatural
3) integration of new knowledge and skills, and once more writing in a natural voice, but smoothly, and with more control

It's only natural to feel some panic about 'losing authenticity' while in point 2, but the payoff is worth it, IMO. While in point 1, the amateur author can write any scene in the only way they can, and victory is 'the scene not falling apart', while by point 3 they are capable of writing a scene in various different ways, depending on the needs of the story.

If one is a rare raw talent (and very, very lucky), something written at point 1 can already become a hit. If one hits the sweet spot while at the unnatural style, and becomes a hit with it, one may be forced to write unnatural stuff forevermore or lose the audience:) If one makes a name with the sophisticated natural style from point 3, I think that's, among other things, a very good balm against writer's fatigue, which has been discussed in other threads. When one is writing in one's developed natural style, it stands to reason that it drains one's resources way less than the midway unnatural style. IMO.

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
It's an interesting subject. My three novels are written in hugely different styles, but when I read them my voice is clearly identifiable in each.

nickj47

Registered
Reaction score
I think a beginner writer's voice goes through three basic phases:
1) the initial natural crude voice
2) attempts to write 'correctly' which make the voice sound unnatural
3) integration of new knowledge and skills, and once more writing in a natural voice, but smoothly, and with more control
This makes a lot of sense to me. I might have six or seven steps, like the seven stages of grief. There's definitely a certain amount of acceptance in step 3, when you figure out all your attempts to write like someone else are never going to work, and you realize the way you wrote way back in step 1 was your actual voice, you were just too inexperienced and undisciplined to know it.