Hi. My name is Nathan.

NathanLyle

Registered
Reaction score
I started writing in high school. I’ve always had an overactive imagination and one day when I was 15 I decided to write down a story I came up with. Every year that passed I found myself writing more and more until it became my main past time. I’ve never liked being called a writer. I’ve always considered myself a storyteller who learned to write. It’s a skill I’ve taken time to improve in order to more easily share my stories. I never considered novelist to be a realistic career path for me.

Last year I realized I’m approaching 30 and getting tired of washing dishes to pay rent. I decided to take a stab at writing my first book. While I have plenty of fictional stories I could put some effort into I decided my first attempt at a book would be to write my autobiography. I originally began this venture planning to self-publish. In recent months I decided it might be worth the effort to at least attempt submitting it to publishers. I like the idea of actually making some money. I was researching for advice on how to submit manuscripts to publishers and kept reading about cover letters and query letters. I’m currently working on the rough draft of my query letter. While doing some follow up research I came across a message board where Absolute Write was mentioned and that’s how I got here.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hiya, Nathan, and welcome to you.

Maryn, smoothing her 1950s hostess apron

rgroberts

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Nathan! I'm like you in that life and careers have taken me in different directions from writing. I'm now trying to get into the writing business in my 30s, so I feel your pain. :) Good luck with everything!

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Query letters are definitely a skill to be mastered.

Best of luck on that, and welcome to AW!

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Nice to meet you, Nathan! Good luck with subbing!

GLZyx

Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Much success. Rinse thyself from those dishes you've been handling, immerse yourself in ink... :Hug2:

Robots

In the future where will I be ?
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. Hope you find success with your writing ! :)

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, Nathan. Best of luck.

musicblind

May Cause Damage
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely make the attempt. You may not get it traditionally published, but the only way you'll know for sure is to try! And if you do self-publish, there is no shame in that, imho. The world of publishing has changed a lot over the years.

I wish you the best of luck with the query letter. I'm very much struggling with those myself.

Erinell

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Nathan ... welcome from another very newbie newbie. Yours sure sounds like such a marvelous dream, and I wish you the very best! Have a great day (and I promise to keep an eye out for your name in hardcover)!

GreenGrape

Registered
Reaction score
Hi and welcome. Also welcome to the wonderful stress that is querying!