YA/MG contemporary writer from California – hi!

hskwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, my name is Heather and I’m excited to be on this forum/meet everyone!

I’ve been writing for years now, both original work and fanfiction, and have really wanted to meet other writers. I love writing YA and MG contemporary with the occasional dip into magical realism, especially writing/reading coming of age stories and Asian-American/LGBTQ+ protagonists. Books I’m currently obsessed with include Nina LaCour’s WE ARE OKAY and Kelly Loy Gilbert’s PICTURE US IN THE LIGHT.

When I’m not staring at a blank page and praying for words to magically appear, I enjoy cooking, playing piano, drawing, watching figure skating, and exploring new restaurants! I’m currently working on a YA magical realism/contemporary novel. :)

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Sounds like some interesting writing projects.

Best of luck, and welcome to AW!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Nice to meet you Heather, welcome

Robots

In the future where will I be ?
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Heather, welcome ! I am writing YA too - love magical realism!

musicblind

May Cause Damage
Registered
Reaction score
That is awesome! I love LGBTQ+ coming of age stories. I think it helps me deal with my own coming of age.

I've also written some fanfic. It's a fun way to get stories out there without having all the pressure, worries and restrictions that come with publishing a book where money is on the line. It also lets you test various ideas and get instant feedback.

I'm jelly that you live in California. I wish I did.

hskwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for the warm welcome! :)

That is awesome! I love LGBTQ+ coming of age stories. I think it helps me deal with my own coming of age.

I've also written some fanfic. It's a fun way to get stories out there without having all the pressure, worries and restrictions that come with publishing a book where money is on the line. It also lets you test various ideas and get instant feedback.

I'm jelly that you live in California. I wish I did.

Thank you! Coming of age stories helped me immensely as well, so they have a special place in my heart.

It's always lovely to meet another person who's done fanfic :) I'm a second gen. fan (one of my parents is into fic), so I've pretty much grown up with it. It's such a great (and underrated) place to practice and figure out what works!

Hope you get to at least visit California sometime!

vestige

Registered
Reaction score
Hello and welcome! I'm a fellow YA author myself. What sort of fanfiction do you usually write?

NathanLyle

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome heather. I also tend to focus on coming of age stories. Perchance we we could share notes someday. Good luck on your stories and cheers to you. :e2drunk: