Resubmitting to the same publisher?

Morning Rainbow

Destroyer of Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.almunson.com
Just over 4 years ago, I submitted an early draft of my manuscript to a publisher. I was new to writing novels and didn’t realize just how many rookie mistakes I had made. And (here’s the kicker), when I submitted my ms to them, I f***ed up and sent it to the wrong editor. If you’re looking for someone to crown Queen of the Idiots, I’m here.

I have since edited the ever-living crap out of my manuscript and would like to submit it again--this time to the correct editor. I’m wondering if enough time has elapsed for me to submit the ms without them automatically rejecting it because they’ve seen it before. Should I even try or just move on to a different publisher/agent?

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
You know, if you made a lot of rookie mistakes, and are sending it to someone else this time, then you're probably safe, because there's probably a zero percent chance the person you sent it to originally to didn't reject it promptly and--this is important--without sharing it with any of their colleagues.

That said, the general rule is no, if you've sent it to a publisher before, you can't resubmit unless invited to. However, if your submission was thrown out quickly by someone unrelated, who will ever know?

I say go for it; the worst that will happen is you'll get rejected again, which is functionally equivalent to not submitting and thus nothing to fear at all. :)

RolandWrites

SFF Author, Neurodiverse
Registered
Reaction score
With a different title and heavy revisions, after a four year wait you should be good to resubmit to a different editor at the publisher. Have you considered trying for an agent first, as Harlequin suggested?

Morning Rainbow

Destroyer of Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.almunson.com
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I think I am going to try to get an agent first. I always shied away from agents in the past because they don't seem to like working with authors who have no publishing history.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
That's somethign I've heard repeated in self pub groups, but I don't generally find it to be true.

Just in a practical sense, agents would go out of business if they never took on new clients. AFAIK only one of my agent's other clients has been published before and she was self-pubbed. The rest of us were/are new and untested.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I think I am going to try to get an agent first. I always shied away from agents in the past because they don't seem to like working with authors who have no publishing history.

That's not true. Agents take on brand new writers all the time. I think you're wise to go agent hunting first, because a good agent has a much better shot than you of getting your work in front of the right editor.

Last edited:

Morning Rainbow

Destroyer of Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.almunson.com
I guess the writers who told me it was next to impossible for an unpublished author to get an agent were wrong then? They seemed to be speaking from experience, so I just took their word for it. But, yes, I will try to get an agent. "Try" being the operative word there.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I guess the writers who told me it was next to impossible for an unpublished author to get an agent were wrong then? They seemed to be speaking from experience, so I just took their word for it.

It takes a good query letter, a good book (or better than good), and plenty of patience. Maybe those writers who advised you lacked one or more of those ingredients.

nickj47

Registered
Reaction score
Agreed. If you've tried and failed to get an agent, you may feel better blaming the agents, but it likely isn't their fault.

I believe (with no actual evidence to support it) that agented subs will be considered a lot more favorably than stuff you submit yourself.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
They are definitely considered more favourably. Agented subs get priority over non agented subs, and that generally goes for publishers of all sizes. If you submit to Tor general slush, you can languish there for years if they know you aren't agented.

Exceptions would be for open window events like Angry Robots open window or Tor's open windkw for novellas although even then, they'll pause to look at agented stuff along the way.