experimental fiction

flowerburgers

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else trying anything experimental in their work? I've decided to write the ending of my novel as a genre-bending stage play, which is at once exciting and scary! An agent is kindly waiting to read this, and I have no idea what she'll think when she gets to the end and it's a play...but I feel like I've found my vision with this project after much fretting, and George Saunders got away with it, not that I'm George Saunders. Would love to hear about your experiments.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, I have an extreme fondness for experimentation. Also, don't have an agent and who knows if I ever will. Someday I'll write something straightforward and not genre-and-medium defying, but who knows when.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Genre-and-medium defying? Tell me more!

Heh, well I wrote a full novel that was a SF cop drama about rollerblades and a three book series about the election masquerading as male pregnancy erotica. The novel's trunked, the trilogy is self-pubbed and I don't like talking about it, and overall I wish I had done something else with the last three years. More recently I did a Choose Your Own Adventure for the Sisyphus and have another, potentially 80k one half-finished, plus I just wrote something I can't even explain properly. I also wrote a horror short written as a book review.

So, yeah, I like experimental, much to my detriment perhaps. I find it works best with humor, or at least with works that have a humorous edge, since there's both something to keep the reader interested in spite of weird, and perhaps some lowered expectations as well. But I friggin' love experimental and bizarro lit, what can I do?

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently freewriting a novel with a Book Title generator. However, I'm using it for the Chapter Titles instead. The goal is try to make something cohesive by the end. A little tinkering and tampering, but I'm having fun with it.

I LOVE experimenting. Builds your creative skills and mindset, methinks.

rosegold

Registered
Reaction score
I have one project that's completely different from anything I've done before. It's a mess that's only a few thousand words long, and I can't work on it right now, but I can't let it go completely either.

I think I will return to it eventually. I just have to be in a certain mood for it.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I tried really, really hard to write something less weird with MS 2 but kept getting bored of the stuff I'd planned and sidetracked in bizarreness. It ended up just as weird if not weirder than MS1.

The POV is somewhat odd (first person omni) and the two MC gradually merge over the course of the story.