Quote Originally Posted by frimble3 View Post
Lots of things are confusing to younger children who have no experience of them.
Heck, I didn't see a live horse or cow until I was 8 or 9.
What better way to introduce them to things outside their experience than in a book? A book where they can ask questions if something puzzles them, or associate it with something they do know.
And if the adults around the child act 'funny' about something, the child swiftly learns to keep their questions to themselves.

Weirdly, when I was a kid, I didn't know anyone 'in life' who was divorced. It was something that only happened on TV. But I knew a gay guy, at second hand. He was a friend of my parents, who worked on a ship, and came to visit when he was in town. We must have asked Mum if he had a family, and (I've forgotten the exact words) but she said something about him having a boyfriend and not a girlfriend, so no marriage. (It was small-town 60's.) We must have shrugged and went back to what we were doing, because I don't remember follow-up questions.

In general, I think most children are only 'interested' in adult stuff if adults make a big fuss about it.

Once I was old enough to read on my own, (pre-first grade) my parents didn't monitor what I read.
In the interest of full disclosure, I didn't see a full grown cow live and up close until I was in my twenties. I was freaking terrified--they're huge! and they smell terrible! Oddly enough, I didn't think children's books with cows in them should be banned or restricted around delicate, sheltered urban kiddos like myself who might get confused.