Checked One off the Bucket List

rgroberts

Registered
Reaction score
I've had short stories rejected before, and lost contests, but I finally screwed up the courage to start shopping for an agent with one of my finished manuscripts. So, I sent off a bunch of query letters...and the inevitable first rejection has arrived.

It doesn't sting as much as I expected, to be honest. Maybe that's because I know that rejections will come, and that it only takes one. The others are still out there, and at least that's better than a sharp stick in the eye. Here's to more rejections (and hopefully some non-rejections)!

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Heyyyyy, the number of people on this site who say they are “going” to write and or finish a manuscript and then never do is HUGE so you’ve already done something awesome just by putting yourself out there. Definitely a bucket list achievement.

rgroberts

Registered
Reaction score
Heyyyyy, the number of people on this site who say they are “going” to write and or finish a manuscript and then never do is HUGE so you’ve already done something awesome just by putting yourself out there. Definitely a bucket list achievement.

Thank you! Sadly, I've had this thing (mostly) done for a couple of years...editing and getting it out there really bogged me down. It probably didn't help that I got out of the Navy, moved, and completely changed my life in the meantime, but the story is done and out there. The double sad thing is that I have another finished manuscript, too. Maybe I'll send that one around if this one gets too many rejections!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Heyyyyy, the number of people on this site who say they are “going” to write and or finish a manuscript and then never do is HUGE.

I see this view expressed here with regularity, but I'm not convinced it is all that correct. Nor does it matter, in context of this discussion. We can ignore those who say they are planning stories X, Y and Z and never finish any, and deal with the problems of those who do finish stuff and can't get any of it past the gates of acceptance. That's a differentm and more pertinent, discussion.

caw

Jjanejayne

Registered
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I've been writing since I was a teenager. I have 54 short stories, novellas and novels and until this summer, I had never tried to get anything published. I sent four query letters. Four rejections. FRUSTRATING! I'm waiting for Twitter Pitchfest in September. Just working on that with five different books now and I'm going to publish a ghost story I've written on KDP in October. It's too short to be a book, only 42,000 words, and I could expand it but it's good and tight right now and I don't want to change it. So KDP seems to be the best answer.

GreenGrape

Registered
Reaction score
There are so many reasons for a rejection. It doesn't necessarily mean it's anything you have or haven't done - it can be as simple as personal taste.
I would actually say CONGRATS on completing and sending it out. One down, lots to go. Keep your chin up and keep going :) You've come so far already

rgroberts

Registered
Reaction score
There are so many reasons for a rejection. It doesn't necessarily mean it's anything you have or haven't done - it can be as simple as personal taste.
I would actually say CONGRATS on completing and sending it out. One down, lots to go. Keep your chin up and keep going :) You've come so far already

Thank you! I actually got a request for a partial this morning, which just absolutely rocks my socks. So, even if this one ends in a rejection (which, given the normal odds, it probably will), I'm pretty stoked!

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
I see this view expressed here with regularity, but I'm not convinced it is all that correct. Nor does it matter, in context of this discussion. We can ignore those who say they are planning stories X, Y and Z and never finish any, and deal with the problems of those who do finish stuff and can't get any of it past the gates of acceptance. That's a differentm and more pertinent, discussion.

caw

Oh, I agree it’s another thing, and it took me good 18-ish years and forays into other genres before I could scale that particular wall...

PSkertich81

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
I love your positive attitude about the process. Rejection does suck. No matter what form rejection is in. Employment, spouse, writing or what not. I think you'll go far places. In addition, you were in the Navy. There's tons of military stories that could be incorporated from your experience. Keep doing an awesome job. You can do it!

rgroberts

Registered
Reaction score
I love your positive attitude about the process. Rejection does suck. No matter what form rejection is in. Employment, spouse, writing or what not. I think you'll go far places. In addition, you were in the Navy. There's tons of military stories that could be incorporated from your experience. Keep doing an awesome job. You can do it!

Thank you! I will say that my military experience has definitely colored my writing, even in fantasy. Though the novel I'm querying now is actually Navy-based, albeit about two decades from now, so I'd say those 10 years definitely fed this one! :D