• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Writing at night

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadow2

Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Hi fellow writers,

I'm trying to get a novel done by the end of summer, and I was stuck for a while. I'm not entirely sure what writer's block is but I get the feeling it's my nemesis . I could stare at the page but I just knew that if I wrote my ideas they wouldn't be very good - I'd just be writing plot points like an essay instead of telling the story properly.

Then I realized that I can only write properly at night. I'd noticed in the past that my writing later in the day is easier, but even the afternoons and evenings now are not working for me. If I write at night (11pm to 3am) it's SO much better than my writing would be in the day. I'm now storming through my book and will be done in a few weeks at this rate.

The only real downside is that I lose a few hours of sleep each night which leaves me a tad sleep deprived. Small price to pay, I guess. :Shrug:

I wonder if anyone else has had this experience with finicky creativity? Do other people find they write best at a specific time? I think it's really strange how big of a difference the time of day makes, and I have no idea why this works for me or if it's a sustainable way to write novels throughout the rest of my life.

WitchyMama

Registered
Reaction score
I have this issue, as well. I can brainstorm and come up with scenes or zippy lines all day long, but the bulk of my work gets done at night, post 11 pm. Everything just flows better. Maybe it's because the chores for the day are done and my mind can relax and focus on being creative. Or maybe it's because I've always been a night owl. I just feel better when I work at night and sleep during the day. Unfortunately, my boss wants me at my post at 6:30 am, so I only get about 3-4 hours of sleep every night. :(

Scythian

Registered
Reaction score
I'll just chime in as a boring old fart to remind everyone reading this that chronic sleep deprivation is no better for one’s health than being a drunk or a junkie or a junk food glutton.

Between 1% and 10% of the population are known to need 5h a night or less, everyone else needs more in order to function properly in the long run. A number of days or weeks being constantly sleep deprived is OK if the overall health is OK, providing this ends before things get out of hand. But months and years like that are murder for body and mind.

Not only does it screw with you in the obvious ways--https://www.healthline.com/health/sleep-deprivation/effects-on-body#1—but it also doesn’t leave enough time for the body to repair itself on a cellular level, and drains the adrenal glands in order to use their fake strength until they burn out, with a cascading effect on the endocrine and nervous systems.

So, whoever experiments with sleep deprivation—please try to not be chronic about it. If it’s a life and death emergency—that’s different. But otherwise it’s not worth it.

If one is a once a generation genius who burns on the altar of art one’s life, one’s family, and one’s friends—maaaaybe that’s kinda OK, although it’s really not. "Understandable" if not actually "OK". For everyone else health, family, and friends should indeed be a priority, IMO.

This includes realistic plans. For example one may in theory be capable, based on one's current skill levels, of writing a 100% awesome fantasy quest if one has a year of total immersion. However, if one does not have the opportunity right now to organize this total immersion without destroying health and family, then one is really not capable of writing the 100% awesome fantasy quest. One is in fact capable of writing the 70% awesome fantasy quest, because that’s as much time and effort that can go there without everything else collapsing.
And that’s OK. That’s knowing the limitations of the current moment and using them to maximum effect.

Thank you for your attention, cough, hack, mumble.

...For those who can do this without killing themselves, I’d also recommend trying to wake up super early and work for some time before real life intrudes. The recently woken brain can be just as fluidly creative as the night-time brain, for some people :)

Last edited:

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
In summer, I work at night (and during the day, but most productive at night). My productivity is crud best when it is hot during the day. I stay up working till 3 AM sometimes. In the cooler months, I am most productive in the early morning and slow throughout the day.

Take some lengthy breaks or naps to rejuvenate between work cycles.

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I used to write at night pretty constantly, sometimes until 4 or 5 in the morning. I miss those days. That was also around the time my insomnia was so bad I had a nervous breakdown, with over-the-top mood swings and the occasional hallucination. Don't miss that.

Waking up early seems to be a better method, though those hours before work slip away so easily.

shadow2

Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe I'll try early morning writing then and see how that works. I'm a morning person too, and that way I won't be literally falling asleep on my keyboard as I'm writing which is sort of the problem I'm encountering. I love writing but it's let's fun when you're, you know, barely awake :)

Will Collins

Will Collins
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, definitely get most of my work done at night too. The only time I get a lot of it done during the day is if I take the laptop to a coffee shop.

alkin

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a night owl too. A nap before writing helps me a ton.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
I am a night owl, regularly going to bed at 3 or 4 am. Since I am now retired, however, I can get up at noon.

Night owl or not, when it comes to writing material with a nodding acquaintance to something good(-ish) I work best, and am most productive, in the morning.

Whenever you work, I would suggest you make sure you get enough sleep. I find if I am sleep deprived, I can't write squat.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I also find that if I'm sleepy the writing quality goes out the window.

Amen to getting enough sleep. It just makes everything better. :)

shadow2

Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
I also find that if I'm sleepy the writing quality goes out the window.
Haha, my problem is the opposite though! I write best when I'm nodding off to sleep. I think... in the day I overthink the story with my rational/technical brain, but when I'm so tired I just write it as I actually want it to be with my creative brain.

I think write in the night + edit in the day might be my ideal process.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I do best sitting in my backyard, there's a forest in the back.

It means I get less writing done when it's too hot, when it's raining, and when the mosquitos come out. I really need a screened in porch.

shadow2

Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
I do best sitting in my backyard, there's a forest in the back.

It means I get less writing done when it's too hot, when it's raining, and when the mosquitos come out. I really need a screened in porch.

I'm the same! Though apparently I freak out the rest of my family when I combine writing outdoors with writing in the middle of the night... creeping around the balcony at 2am :D

rosegold

Registered
Reaction score
I do this almost exactly. I can get so distracted during the day, but around eleven, everything suddenly becomes clear. Around two or three, I'll finally fall asleep, though sometimes I'll stay up even longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.