Today is National Book Lovers Day

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Today, August 9th, is National Book Lovers Day. It's an unofficial holiday, so whether you're in the U.S. or not, tell us about your favorite book, bookstore, or what reading means to you.

I grew up in a strict religious household with a much, much older father who tried to bring me up as his sisters were in the 1890s. He kept me at home as much as the law would allow, which meant as much as he hated it, I had to go to school. There was church, too, of course. I had younger brothers who had the freedom to hop on their bikes and go where they wished. Being the only girl, though, I had a lot of alone time—at home. Books opened up the world to me and were it not for my love of language and the books I secretly hoarded, I'd not have developed half as well emotionally or intellectually.

Last edited:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Books were the saving grace of my rather fragmented and isolated childhood as well. I am especially fond of secondhand bookstores and all the exciting promise they hold. I don’t think I have ever come out of a secondhand book shop without some purchase or other.

Times are not what they were, but my neighborhood continues to have one very fine secondhand book shop, one terrific independent book shop with two locations, and a chain university bookstore that will serve in a pinch if ever I am at that end of the neighborhood.